Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glaziers of STW…
  • Kryton57

Can you help with this?  I want some wired obscure glass to replace plain thin glass in the mancave I’m being quoted £550 just for the glass itself, which feels very expensive.  Sizes are:

170 x 55cm

75 x 35cm,  2 of

105 x 85cm, 2 of

would be great to get some validation if possible, thanks.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I don’t know about wired,obscured but 15mm toughened is about £100 per square metre

tjagain

why do you want wired glass? its for fireproofing not security

Kryton57

Its a fair point.  Its thin glass in the mancave, the putty is crumbling, and the blinds im using to obscure my bikes I want to remove for more light.

Whats the secure and maybe cheaper alternative?  Or is it best to repair the putty and accept the bikes are locked to floor so its a bit overkill to replace the glass?

tillydog
    Free Member

Wired glass is expensive – it’s made using a rolling process, not on a float tank.

There’s an on-line calculator here:

https://www.betterglass.co.uk/shop?order=name+asc

that puts your single largest piece at £183+VAT for Georgian (obscured) wired.

(By way of comparison, 6mm toughened is £62+ VAT for the same size, 6.4mm laminated about £50+VAT )

If you want expensive, try polished (clear) wired! 😀

Can you stick frosting film to the existing glass?

(ETA: I’d say laminated is a PITA to get through – though not as much as wired – so may give more peace of mind than plain glass).

Kryton57

Thanks Tillydog that’s really useful.  Obscure laminated would seem to be the way to go, a bit of theft protection plus less of a panic if one of the kids breaks a window with a ball…

Rockhopper
    Free Member

A lady in one of our buildings managed to head butt her way through a Georgian wired glass panel….sadly the staff just watched her get on with it.

tillydog
    Free Member

A  lady in one of our buildings managed to head butt her way through a Georgian wired glass panel….

God! that must have been messy 🙁

eskay

How about self adhesive obscure film on the inside and some metal security bars screwed horizontally onto the wall? Would be much cheaper

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glaziers of STW…’ is closed to new replies.