Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Glastonbury stars give away clothes for charity…
  • Bunnyhop

wobbliscott – I personally am not doing someone out of a job, as it’s something I’ve always done.

Sorry can’t agree with you. There are too many cheap clothes being worn once and thrown out into a already nearly full, landfill.

I’m the kind of girl that knits her own dishcloths.

Create that job somewhere in the world that will give others half a chance.

Or keep women in the Midlands working on less than minimum wage.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jun/22/cost-cheap-fast-fashion-workers-planet

“MPs found that the Modern Slavery Act was not robust enough to stop wage exploitation at UK clothing factories. There was a lack of inspection or enforcement, allowing factories – none of which are unionised – to get away with paying illegal wages.”

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

We’re all to blame – are you telling me you’re wearing clothes from 4 years ago ??

T-shirt (Chunk Star Wars parody with Chewie as a basketball player) ~2010
    Jeans (Ben Sherman) ~2012
    Shoes – Converse copies from ASDA ~2012

Guesstimating those dates based on jobs/house moves. Socks are definitely less than 4yrs, boxxers are a maybe but possibly.

Only clothes I can remember buying this year are socks and a new rash vest because the one I bought in 2005 is holier than the Pope. My OH bought me a new cycling jersey.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Fantastic mantra for dealing with global poverty….by creating zero demand for consumer goods all those jobs that are dragging people out of poverty would disappear overnight.

I’m not convinced.

For one thing, for one thing cheap tat can be made just as effectively in more developed countries like China.

For another, people aren’t saying “don’t buy anything” they’re advocating buying a £50 pair of jeans that will last almost indefinitely rather than a £10 supermarket pair that lasts 6 months for example. The £50 pair probably takes a bit longer to make with more skill and probably more pay for everyone from the cotton mill to the retail shop floor.

avdave2

“‘Strange to think that even in Our Ford’s day most games were played without more apparatus than a ball or two and a few sticks and perhaps a bit of netting. Imagine the folly of allowing people to play elaborate games which do nothing whatsoever to increase consumption. It’s madness. Nowadays the Controllers won’t approve of any new game unless it can be shown that it requires at least as much apparatus as the most complicated of existing games.'”

vote wobbliscott for World Controller 🙂

Kryton57

Create that job somewhere in the world that will give others half a chance.

One of the 18-30 crowd at work quoted that as my when I moaned at him for leaving the kitchen in a state.  Apparently if we all cleaned up there’d be no need for the cleaner.

Go figure.

funkmasterp

Am I the only one that follows a clothing hierarchy?

1: Buy something and wear it for best / not working.

2: When it’s a bit worn wear it for work.

3: Starting to look very worn? Wear for lounging around the house.

4: Ruined? Wear for gardening, decorating etc.

5: Rags for cleaning bike.

Harry_the_Spider

^ Pretty much.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Glastonbury stars give away clothes for charity…’ is closed to new replies.