Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Glasgow folk – where to live for the University?
  • oldtennisshoes

University of Glasgow, not the others in the city.

Junior is just finishing off his first year and with the accommodation situation being pretty dire, we are considering buying somewhere that his younger sister is likely to use as well.

In terms of areas, I suppose Hillhead and Great Western Rd up towards Anniesland are the obvious choices, but what about Partick and other areas just out about a bit?
    Any other areas to consider, especially within easy access using the underground?

squirrelking
    Free Member

You’ll be lucky, when I was a student there 20 years ago those were the places folk were living in up until everything was gentrified and made unaffordable. From what I gather Dennistoun seems to be where the affordable stuff is that isn’t a complete hole.

EDIT: sorry, didn’t read that right, missed the bit about buying.

Partick, Finnieston and Woodlands are all decent enough areas, to be honest though if they can be bothered cycling that opens up more options.

irc

Plus one for Woodlands. Woodlands has the advantage of two underground stations. Walking distance from both Byres Rd and the city centre. Close to Kelvin walkway and the canal for cycling or jogging. Finnieston area just an easy walk through Kelvingrove Park. Plenty good shops and bars on Great Western Road between Woodlands and Byres Road.

I had a flat there for 7 years. Bought a 2 bedroom for £18000. So that tells you how long ago it was.

Another option is Temple/Anniesland area. But you are getting further out. The buses along Gt Western Road are regular and there is a good train service to the city centre.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Southside.

Not much point to living in the West end since The Halt closed down.

I lived in dennistoun as a student but Strathclyde made that an obvious choice. The flat was bought by my folks. It was pretty decent to live there prior to the games and I thought it was going to get better but it all seemed to have stalled last time I was there. All the best places have offlicince cages…

matt_outandabout

10th floor of Glasgow College Riverside Campus has been great for one of mine this year – basically a penthouse view west down the Clyde from his room and north over Glasgow Green from the kitchen…!

There seems to be a fair few students in the area around Glasgow Green area.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I thought this boat had sailed, but maybe not everywhere.

We were tempted a couple.of years ago with 2 daughters at Leeds and one in Manchester but the numbers just didn’t add up.

The places where the ‘kids’ want to live were expensive and also in shocking condition (although apparently good enough for student rental)

Given the costs involved (i.e. 2nd home stamp duty) it just wasn’t worth it in the shorter term.

chickenman

Bear in mind that public transport in Glasgow is almost non existent after about 11.30 at night so if you live far from the westend or city centre getting home will be expensive. Chickenman junior was going out with a greek girl so when it came finding a job and a flat all she had to do was go on the Findyournearestgreek app on her phone, problem solved!

squirrelking
    Free Member

That depends where you are, if you’re on a night bus route you’re sorted, otherwise you’d better have a bike.

dyna-ti

Anywhere on the No4 bus route. So say southside Battlefield. Cheaper that the west end, which is pretty horrific price wise.
    Shared flat but only shared between two or three at most.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Battlefield is nice but it’s a fair trek to/from GU.

dyna-ti

Yeah but thats what I mean by on the No4 bus route. The no4 goes up Woodlands rd then up University ave, passing the main gate to the uni, before going down and crossing Byres rd. Its a 20-25min journey but it goes to the heart of student land

irc

Battlefield to Glasgow Univ. 45m by bus. There is a reason the west end is expensive. Partly the central location.

giant_scum
    Free Member

Although my oldest daughter is not a student, she stayed with a friend who was, lived in a flat on London Road that looked out over Glasgow Green.
    It was really handy for her as she worked at an office on the Clydeside.
    High St station not that far away maybe bit of a trek over to Glasgow Uni though.

She has now bought her own place near Tollcross Park.
    Another flat in the block has just been bought by parents (106K apparently) for their child to attend Uni.

Good luck with the search.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Battlefield to Glasgow Univ. 45m by bus.

If it turns up.

(I used to live at St Andrews Cross so know First and their “flexible” timetabling all too well, I’d be delighted if not outright shocked if that’s gotten any better over the years)

irc

Choice of 2 bed flats around £100k at Temple/Anniesland.

https://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/property/g13/?q=G13&results_sort=lowest_price&search_source=for-sale

Good frequent bus service along Gt Western Rd to university. Train station. Good shops and a few local pubs. Lock 27 or a Spoons.

I worked in the area for a while. Good area, My son lived there a couple of years ago, No issues.

poly
    Free Member

Is daughter also likely to go to Glasgow or any possibility of the other institutions? That would affect ideal location.

I looked at this briefly last year (for a Strathclyde student) be aware the HOMO rules make life a bit more difficult if you want 3 beds.  I’ve also heard some grumbling from other Scottish landlords about the Scot Gov policies on rent rises etc.  a friend with a flat in Dundee also found themselves left subsidising it during Covid (as she didn’t feel she could charge her daughters friends when they all went home).  depending on your summer plans for it (eg air bnb) the new rules there might also hurt.  on the plus side I’ve heard of people doing some sneaky stuff registering in the kids names to avoid 2nd home tax, stamp duty etc, presumably they are viewing it as giving the kids a leg up on property ladder rather than a pension pot.

I was about this time last year when we started discussing and we concluded we had left it too late.  Property search, complete transaction, do any work on the house, get it approved, and all before the other house mates panic and go find something else.

matt_outandabout

HOMO rules make life a bit more difficult if you want 3 beds.

Indeed, they can be pretty challenging to meet. Our old flat had full fire doors and intumescent strips, and that included me paying for the neighbours front doors to be upgraded. Full fire detection, training for the occupants. Minimum area requirements, including minimum amount of worktop. Clothes drying facilities. Etc etc.
    This is on top of the repairing standards.
    Plus you will have to be registered landlord.
    And HOMO only lasts 3 years maximum.

oldtennisshoes

Thanks all. The STL licensing is going to make a lot of flats available across Scotland. It’s likely that planning permission for change of use and/or STL licenses will not be issued for any property with a shared entrance.

https://www.mygov.scot/short-term-let-licences

Lots of Airbnb owners are up in arms about it and whilst the deadline for application for new licenses has been pushed back until October this year, I have no doubt that it will come in – and it’s probably the right thing to do.

This is clearly an Airbnb owner selling up – https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/130854419

I suspect there’s going to be many more coming to market in the next few months.

oldtennisshoes

Is daughter also likely to go to Glasgow or any possibility of the other institutions? That would affect ideal location.

Edinburgh is the only likely alternative for what she wants to do and the sort of place she wants to live, but we’ve already got an option there.

squirrelking
    Free Member

depending on your summer plans for it (eg air bnb)

Why would they want to move home for 2 months? Seriously, that’s why people take a flat rather than halls, packing your stuff up is a massive bawache that nobody wants to deal with. Plus you’re missing the best part of the year in Glasgow!

HOMO rules

Has HMO morphed into something else with a rather unfortunate acronym?

I’m all for HMO FWIW, I remember the bad old days where you didn’t take basement flats if you had any sense (likely to have bars on windows which were great if it caught fire) and rogue landlords renting any old crap out with no effort made to hide the fact it used to be a crack den. Some of the absolute shitters I looked at would beggar belief and even then landlords were greetin’ that it would price them out the market to meet basic animal welfare standards never mind making them fit for human habitation.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If it turns up.

(I used to live at St Andrews Cross so know <u>strong>First</u> and their “flexible” timetabling all too well, I’d be delighted if not outright shocked if that’s gotten any better over the years)

@squirrelking
    I just wanted you to know, I saw it and I liked it.

matt_outandabout

Has HMO morphed into something else with a rather unfortunate acronym?

I’ve seen both used

joshvegas
    Free Member

Why would they want to move home for 2 months? Seriously, that’s why people take a flat rather than halls, packing your stuff up is a massive bawache that nobody wants to deal with. Plus you’re missing the best part of the year in Glasgow!

While I agree my parents have rented an Edinburgh flat for years to students for 10months and fringers for 1months. Plus two weeks either side for a city break and maintenance. They get 13months equivalent in rent, an easy maintenance. And for 16years they have had at least 1person return bringing new influx for the other rooms the ten month thing is really desirable for alot of students.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah I suppose, in Edinburgh there are obvious economic incentives for that 1 month rental during festival season but once we got established people rarely bothered with the hassle of moving stuff into storage or home.

I guess it depends on the person.

oldtennisshoes

And the hunt has started in earnest. I’d forgotten how much I despise the so lauded Scottish property buying process. And estate agents solicitors.

poah
    Free Member

well west end is stupidly overpriced for being a dump. I lived on the south side while I went to Glasgow uni and when I worked there as well. Travel was easy by train or bus and never had an issue getting home. The south side is a fairly large area and you could also consider areas down near Paisley as well. I would hate to live in the west end TBH

joshvegas
    Free Member

well west end is stupidly overpriced for being a dump

That’s a pretty accurate summary. “You want me to come across town, past the Arches, past the Subby past the entire city centre to go to **** Viper… Nah”

squirrelking
    Free Member

well west end is stupidly overpriced for being a dump. I lived on the south side while I went to Glasgow uni and when I worked there as well. Travel was easy by train or bus and never had an issue getting home. The south side is a fairly large area and you could also consider areas down near Paisley as well. I would hate to live in the west end TBH

A rather broad statement, when was the last time you visited? The whole place is unrecognisable compared to 20odd years ago, there’s nothing studenty around Byres Road now, rinse and repeat in Finnieston and Yorkhill. I think the only place that hasn’t been touched (yet) is West Princes Street and some of the side streets around Woodlands Road.

South side is also a big place with it’s own vast choice of shiteholes, usually a stones throw from the nice bits.

At the end of the day you’re better living where everyone else is. I lived in the south side for a year or so when nobody else did and tbh I was pretty isolated. If I could have afforded to live in the west end or closer I would but circumstances didn’t allow it.

That’s a pretty accurate summary. “You want me to come across town, past the Arches, past the Subby past the entire city centre to go to **** Viper… Nah”

Who actually goes to Clatty Pattys? It always had ‘novelty’ visit once to say you had status, a bit like the Moon (except less likely to get stabbed). We always went into town or the pub.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Given the costs involved (i.e. 2nd home stamp duty) it just wasn’t worth it in the shorter term.

Why would you pay 2nd home stamp duty?

Surely it’s a no brainer that you buy it in the kid’s name?
    Not just stamp duty, but more importantly income tax, CGT and Inheritance Tax. Not to mention care home costs….

irc

Who actually goes to Clatty Pattys? It always had ‘novelty’ visit once to say you had status, a bit like the Moon (except less likely to get stabbed). We always went into town or the pub.

I met Mrs IRC there. 1985. Though since it was under half a mile from my flat it was my local place. Also local to Mrs IRC who went to Hillhead High and lived one close off Byres Rd. In contrast I was never in that place at the bottom of Byres Rd. Volcano?

Though I can’t comment on how it compared to anywhere else as night clubs weren’t my scene. I was away hillwalking or climbing most weekends I was off.

Clatty’s was more often visited for a post backshift drink after work as we knew the manager and didn’t pay to in.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Haha you’re about 16 years prior to my experience, I arrived just as they started sucking the soul out the west end.

In contrast I was never in that place at the bottom of Byres Rd. Volcano?

Trainspotting balcony club? Now a very nice pub (or was the last time I visited it).

mashr

Trainspotting balcony club? Now a very nice pub (or was the last time I visited it).

Getting your scenes mixed up – Volcano was used for the taxi “what’s wrong boy, cat got your tongue” moment after them being out clubbing, the pub was before that iirc (and now Kelbourne Saint as you say)

irc

The balcony scene was filmed here in Queen Margeret Drive.

https://goo.gl/maps/LJtD8aa3EDzuXLFN6

poah
    Free Member

A rather broad statement, when was the last time you visited?

less than a year ago. fancy overpriced shops do not detract from the fact the place is a dump. putting fancy icing on a cake made from dog poo doesn’t make it a nice cake.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.