Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glacier 360, Iceland
  • ragnarock
    Free Member

Has anyone here done the Glacier360?

https://www.glacier360.is/

I went to Iceland 10 years ago with a group of friends for a stag do. We drove around in a 4×4 van, slept in tents and had an all round great time surrounded by the amazing scenery.

A few of us are thinking of a little reunion trip, and thinking to do it on XC bikes.

The Glacier360 appeals as it keeps the programme nice and tight, it’s catered, no need to lug stuff and the cost though high is manageable.

However a lot of the writing and youtube vids make it out to be a bit of slog (aware it’s a marathon style race). We’re not hugely competitive, so have no need to finish in the top of anything. Is the route enjoyable otherwise or are we better trying to set up something bespoke?

Cheers!

jam-bo

i’ve ridden in the area and it amazing scenery and epic landscape but nothing amazing when it comes to the riding. weather in the highlands can be brutal as well.

go with icebike if you want epic riding at epic prices…

cokie

That scenery looks amazing!

I see they offer volunteering posititions.. think I’ll apply.

PrinceJohn

I volunteered for the first race, it was one of the best experiences of my life. Hard work but a great laugh.

jonnyboi

I’d love to do it, but the whole thing is very expensive, but everything is in Iceland isn’t it?

ragnarock
    Free Member

Iceland is expensive, but the scenery is utterly breath taking.
    Positively Martian in some places.

I went with a load of Norwegians, a Scot and a Canadian.
    The Norwegians “didn’t think it was that expensive ….”
    Not sure what the Canadian and Scot thought!
    There are worse things to spend money on.

toby1

to be a bit of slog

I remember reading numerous reports of people pedalling hard downhill as the wind was pushing them back up hill!

jam-bo

i got blown off my bike, twice, trying to head north from hveravellir (the northernmost point of the glacier 360).

at that point we decided there was no way we were going to make our planned route in the time we had and turned back south. the tailwind down through the kjolur was awesome.

tonyg2003

Thanks for posting this – looks like a good event to consider for 2019. Plus MrsG want to go to Iceland too. Maybe add the two together as a holiday plus MTB event!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glacier 360, Iceland’ is closed to new replies.