• This topic has 70 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Giving up commuting after a close pass? Bit dramatic?
  • miketually
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting by bike for around 16 years. I had a deliberate close overtake a couple of months ago that made me think about jacking it in, but I know deep down that the long term benefits outweigh the short term risks.

I have a camera on my bike. The police didn’t even respond to my email about the overtake, although they did for a previous incident.

I’d look for alternative routes, rather than stopping.

If it is only 3 miles I would walk. Better exercise than a 3 mile bike ride and still doesn’t take that long (45 minutes).

Defo, by the time you get all your gear on, buggering about with lights etc

My commute is a similar length.

Putting my gear on takes the same time as it would if I were walking, because ‘my gear’ is a jacket and a helmet. My lights live on the bike, which has full mudguards and a chain guard, and only need charging about once a month, plus I have a set of dynamo lights on the bike as well so they’re always there and on.

Rather than a million lights and lots of high-viz, I think looking like a normal human being is the biggest help. I ride an old post office bike* and get much more considerate overtakes when riding that in normal clothes compared to a ‘proper’ bike.

*An Elephant Bike (https://www.cycleofgood.com/elephant-bike/) by far the best commuter I’ve ever had, and only £250.

ebennett

I had similar on my commute home, 7 km of angry drivers and breathing fumes. I used the website here to try and find an alternative as I wasn’t familiar with the area, works quite well and allows you to select quietest or balanced. The quietest route is only 3 km longer than the fastest route, but it’s so much nicer and less stressful.

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’d hate to commute to work on a bike, but if I did and the direct route was 3miles, I’d find a 5 mile route if necessary that avoided the danger roads.  Its not like it would take very long.

DezB
    Free Member

A question for those who are suggesting a camera, I realise it can might as a deterrent to some, but its not actually going to PREVENT a close pass or worse is it? Its all very well having the footage of the accident that paralysed you…

I don’t think anyone’s ever been paralysed by a close pass.

I don’t use my camera as a deterrent (it’s not obvious I have one), but so many incidents, you think at the time were close or dodgy, you look back at the footage and it’s like, hmm, not really. Or you pick up  your camera in the evening ‘ did anything happen today?’ and you can’t even remember! so, obviously nothing did (even if you recall swearing at some idiot on the ride!).

I’d rather ride with a camera than without. But, whatever others do is up to them, not going to try and say it’s right or wrong.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So apart from post up the crap driving on here what do you do with the footage? Do you send it to the police as evidence?

DezB
    Free Member

I’ve sent it to police – they tried but the van was unreg’ed and couldn’t be traced. They phoned me back to tell me, which was cool as Hants police aren’t that interested usually.

I’ve also sent liveried van footage (or stills) to companies, or just phoned them and always had good results (ie. apologies and ‘we’ll talk to him’)

I’ve stuck footage on youtube just to have a rant and/or laugh about it, which makes me feel better. Not much lately though, as I ride home on back roads.

[edit]before I had a cam, I got hit (not hard) by a dump truck and it still bugs me to this day, as the driver just denied it (how the **** would he have known). I’m sure if I’d had a cam back then I could’ve got the **** in more trouble than just me calling him a stupid ****.

timbo678
    Free Member

I am switching to a CX bike, my commute is not too bad, only one busy road but the CX bike will take that out the equation using a bridleway for some of it, while still not being completely shite on the road.

C2W  scheme making it a relatively cheap option and much safer

s1m0n
    Free Member

Have commuted by bike for the last 18 years in both London and Leeds  and love it to be fair.

Basically, don’t give up on riding to work.  The key I find is (to try) not to get angry with people, just relax, enjoy and keep your wits about you – you generally know where the pinch points are most likely to be on any given route so just be extra vigilant and don’t let the b*stards grind you down. A smile goes a long way and people will generally apologise if they realise they’ve cut you up accidentally (I know not all are accidental).

Some have said life’s too short to risk being knocked off etc, personally I think life is just too short – therefore no way am I stopping doing something I really enjoy for the sake of a few numpties on the roads. Who’s to say if I stopped cycling to work I’m not going to get hit by a bus or something instead!

To be honest although there are plenty of “near misses” I think the overall general awareness of drivers (not everyone through obviously) in respect of bikes on the road has improved over the years, particularly as there are more and more of us out there.

S

kcr
    Free Member

I’ve been commuting by bike for almost 25 years now, on various different routes in different towns and cities. For the last few years I’ve had a shortish route on reasonably quiet back roads. I have been knocked off by a motorist once (actually on a cycle path, not on the road) and have had the usual close passes (one of which was genuinely life threatening and reported to the cops).

I wouldn’t stop cycling to work, because the benefits far outweigh the risks, in my situation. If I didn’t cycle I would lose regular daily exercise that I don’t have to think about, which is good for my head and my body. I would also be spending a load of money on either driving, which I hate, or public transport that would take at least three times longer for the journey.

tjagain

Commuted by bike for 30 plus years always in cities but never more than 7 miles.Usually in heavy city centre traffic

Control / own the road around you. Somewhere between assertive and aggressive.  Make eye contact with as many drivers as you can.  Sit up and wave them thru even if it costs you a few seconds when its clear to do so. Fat sticky tyres and disc brakes a must as well.  Assume every car driver is a blind idiot.  Be prepared to scream at cars that close gaps on you.  Look like a human being – a soft squishy smiling one.

Never stop riding – don’t let them grind you down.!

MoreCashThanDash

B – my commute is a mile or two longer than it could be, but more than 50 per cent is away from any roads.

ta11pau1

100% option B – even if it requires the use of an MTB over a road bike. There’s got to be a better route.

My commute is 2 miles through a busy town centre 1-way system. On the way to work 0.7 of a mile is on a road, with 0.5 being on a quiet road with slow cars, no issues. On the way home it’s 0.8 of a mile on roads, again with 0.5 being on a quiet dead end road.

thomthumb
    Free Member

take the safest/ most enjoyable route.

I took the short route this morning – it was surprisingly pleasant – normally its “Southampton’s very own how many closes passes in 4 km world record challenge.”

I normally double double the distance (of that first half) and take the scenic bike path along the coast.

I realised a few years ago that i commute for enjoyment, i enjoy a pleasant cycle- not dicing with traffic

lunge

I’ve taken option C. But then I’m stubborn and refuse to be bullied even when I know there are better options. I’ve also taken to not telling Mrs Lunge about the near misses or the accidents, I worry more about her worrying than me getting hit. In your shoes, with a 3 mile commute I’d go for a longer option and take it up to 4 or 5. Actually, I wouldn’t, I’d run it but I accept that may not be an option for some.

webbierwrex
    Free Member

I know it most likely won’t do anything and it slightly off topic, but can all those who have given up or almost given up commuting by bike contact their local councilors and/or MP? I totally understand it and have considered driving my 10 mile each way commute which involves busy junctions and a stretch of A road which is terrifying. But unless it’s made an issue of it’s only going to get worse.

DezB
    Free Member

Thing about the last stretch of my commute, up to the office – it’s a diversion everyone takes if the motorway is blocked (a regular thing). So it’s difficult to overtake me as there is a lot more traffic coming the other way. And this, for some unfathomable reason, is MY FAULT! 😆 Lorry was behind me for ages this morning… but he waited for the elusive gap,  did a sensible overtake, for which he got the thumbs up from me. Not always like that. But I get em on me cam 😀

fossy

My route also had a good off road route, but the middle section (residential street) was where I was knocked off. My route was a mix of TPT, farm tracks and Fallowfield Loop, but a road section between the TPT and the Loop was where I was got (when on the road bike), so even the off road route went out the window (it was even a designated ‘NCN cycle route).

I’ve had that many scrapes that I gave up. It’s a different ball game commuting, and riding on road away from rush hours.  I’ve actually hung up the three road bikes also, and only ride off road now – too many loons in cars.

philjunior
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s an option for me, I’m more concerned about my own well being than prosecuting someone after they have crashed into me.

Seems sensible! Also helmet cam evidence is only really worth it if you can really be arsed reporting etc.

It sounds to me like a 4.1 mile nice route would probably be worthwhile – you might want to try wearing more casual clothing and no helmet to avoid close passes etc. too.

DezB
    Free Member

you might want to try wearing more casual clothing and no helmet to avoid close passes 

Except that’s bloody nonsense. I’ve seen extreme close passes of women on sit-up-&-beg bikes dressed casually, I’ve seen close passes of little kids. Whoever did that  “study” is a twonk.

angeldust
    Free Member

Except that’s bloody nonsense. I’ve seen extreme close passes of women on sit-up-&-beg bikes dressed casually, I’ve seen close passes of little kids. Whoever did that  “study” is a twonk.

Yeah, nonsense.

tjagain

Whilst not completely valid that study did show a tendency and one noted by many folk including me.  the more you look like a squishy human the more courtesy you get on the roads

imnotverygood

… except of course that his second study failed to show anything of the sort but somehow people seem to forget that.

crazy-legs

except of course that his second study failed to show anything of the sort but somehow people seem to forget that.

If you follow Operation Close Pass from West Mids Police twitter, they don’t reckon it makes any difference what the cyclist is wearing unless it is blindingly obviously a policeman! And even then, they’ve had near misses…

That study referenced above is a bit like the vaccines / autism one. One (flawed) study showed a link, thousands showed no link. Which one do people remember…?

DezB
    Free Member

Thanks crazy-legs, saves me coming back and arguing the point 🙂

martymac

I agree crazy legs.

i wear a white shirt and epaulettes at work, when driving home on the motorway it is amazing how many drivers will overtake me, pull back into my lane, then put the brakes on.

it doesn’t happen if I remove the epaulettes.

i can only assume that people think I’m a police officer.

I don’t drive fast, generally under 60mph, so there’s no reason for anyone to slow down after they’ve passed me.

Ladders
    Free Member

Yep, I’ve worn all colours including bright orange tops, all with flashing lights on the bike, and it makes absolutely no difference. Drivers either think you shouldn’t be on the road and close pass you on purpose, or they are just such bad unaware drivers that they think 3” passing space is ok for you!!

DezB
    Free Member

Here’s a close pass from this morning (the only driver to recognise me as an experienced cyclist, obv 😉 )

So…

literally 3 seconds later, the road widens!

Then, about 12 seconds after he overtook

Yes, we’re making the same right turn. This is how much he gained with that overtake

jimmy

My quickest route would be 9 miles and less than 40 minutes. The quieter alternative is 11.5 for an extra 10 mins (maybe even 14 miles if I have the time). It’s more time on my bike (good) and quicker than the bus (50mins) so no brainer at that.

I also have a helmet cam which I haven’t had to use in earnest other than texters at the wheel passing me by.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyway, I just posted that to give me a chance to look it over and decide if I’m going to report him to the company.

That’s why I have a camera.

Last cyclist here that reported someone, they wouldn’t give their details, or discipline them because blah blah blah data protection… and that person actually hit the cyclist!! So I probably won’t do anything except

😆

stumpy01

dezb – looks like in overtaking you, he forced an oncoming car to move over as well, which seems to be happening more & more often.
    Not that long ago, the cars on my side of the road (I was driving at the time) all had to come to a stop, due to an oncoming driver deciding she had to overtake the cyclist she was bearing down on even though there was a procession of oncoming traffic – she pulled out to overtake, left quite a bit of room for the cyclist, just failed to take into account several oncoming cars now with nowhere to go!

Why is his number plate blurred out in the last image, but not in the second? N1 HLC looks to be a personalised one.

DezB
    Free Member

looks like in overtaking you, he forced an oncoming car to move over as well

Pretty common along there. Should’ve seen the bus driver’s face a few months back when a van almost forced him into the grass verge!

Why is his number plate blurred out in the last image, but not in the second?

Laziness 😆

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Giving up commuting after a close pass? Bit dramatic?’ is closed to new replies.