Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Giro Hex or Xen
  • singlespeeddan
    Free Member

Having slid off my bike coming home from work the other night and dunted me head i could do with a new helmet as it has been bumped a couple alot. Was wondering if anyone reckons that the xen is really £20 better than the hex bearing in mind that the £20 could be spent on something else like beer. To all intents and purposes they seem pretty similar. And anyone know if i can trade down on the replacement from giro?
    Cheers
    Dan

tinsy
    Free Member

Apperntly they fit slightly differently.. try one on first.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

hex seems good. i had a xen for a bit and it fitted really nicely like a hat rather than a helmet, but it was faulty so sent it back and eventually bought a hex (for something like £30). Hex seems pretty good, slightly better venting too, but it doesnt look as good or have shell around the bottom edge so gets bumped more easily

Kit
    Free Member

I’m on my 2nd Xen now – the Hex won’t fit my wierd head. Its a comfy helmet, but I will say that its absolutely roasting to wear! Its not particularly well vented, I don’t think.

bomberman
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from hex to a xen and find the xen not as comfy. the hex definitely came down lower at the back and the sides of my head whereas the xen sits on top a bit more. I had plenty of crashes in the hex including a couple of nasty face plants and it saved my bacon (and my face surprisingly!). I’ve yet to crash in the xen so i can’t really compare it in terms of protection. Looks-wise the xen wins as it’s more rounded whereas the hex is squarer from the front on. i paid a lot more for my xen! i think i got the hex for £35 from sjs.. here’s a few pics to help you make your mind up

yoshimi

Matthew, whatr was faulty about it? I’m having problems with he roc4 thingy keeps loosening

clunker

Matthew, whatr was faulty about it? I’m having problems with he roc4 thingy keeps loosening

Having the same issue with my Xen 🙁

Hex did not fit me either.

Jamie
    Free Member

I went to Rutland Cycles fully prepared to get a Xen and spend the cash, but the Hex just fitted better so went for that and saved some cash. Mad eh?

timraven

Hex very comfortable. Couldn’t bring myself to spend that much more for a Xen, beer better 😆

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

i found the hex more comfy than the xen – and its a great helmet. i might even be a tart and by the 09 one just because i can!

freeman
    Free Member

Hex

matthewlhome
    Free Member

The peak would never stay put!

Bomberman – I hope the Health and safety fairies from that warehouse don’t see those pictures 😯

IdleJon

I bought a Hex in October. Agree with venting, even after 2 hours riding in the snow the front of the helmet was dripping sweat out. My only other criticism is that the straps seem to be in the way, always. Not a problem on previous Giros. Mine was about £35 from CRC or Wiggle I think. So in terms of price, no real complaints.

sodafarls
    Free Member

The peak on a size medium xen can rattle if that’s a factor.
    (it does the same thing on my mates too).

foxyrider
    Free Member

I prefer the Xen – Fitted my head better and the lines are smoother and look nice to me – looks a bit more bling than the Hex 😉

trailmonkey

IME, it’s a fitting issue. Try both, buy the one that feels comfiest. At the price, I’d love the Hex to be a comfy fit on me but it just isn’t.

RRD
    Free Member

Thinking of buying a Hex as I found it better fitting in my case (I agree with Trailmonkey, it’s a personal fit thing)

However have you seen the proce increase this year!
    £50 last year (and could be picked up for £35 as stated above)
    Now £75 RRP!

Dan67
    Free Member

I have a Xen and I noticed the comfort level going form the bogo indicator straight to the xen. Like other people have said you dont really notice your wearing it after a while. I have had no problems with mine yet. Also the venting isnt as bad as other people have said I havent really noticed it as a problem with mine although I havent really ridden it in any swealtering conditions.
    The only niggle I have is the visor rattles a little bit
    I havent had any crashes in it yet (touch wood) to see how safe it really is.
    The price of the new Xen is slightly expensive I have to admit at £125

flamejob
    Free Member

When selling helmets to people, before seeing the price I make them try both hex and xen on and 90% of the time they go for the Xen.
    Maybe it is my Victorian sales patter or amazing whit and charm?

I think it is way comfier than the other Giro helmets, maybe all you Hex people are conehead weirdos or something?

Mush
    Free Member

I’ve got a xen and was genuinely appalled when I saw the current RRP £125! Just seems daft as I paid less for mine than the current price of a hex. I agree with the venting issues – everyone’s different but I’m pretty hot-headed so when it comes to replacement time, think I’ll go for a cheaper, lighter, airier model (more xc oriented) and get a pisspot style for larking about.

Oxboy
    Free Member

Does the Hex or Xen come with a crash replacement warranty? My Met Prarchute has one and that was a similar price to the Xen.

takisawa2

Xen is nicely finished. A quality bit of kit. Tis a bit hot though.

james
    Free Member

“And anyone know if i can trade down on the replacement from giro?”
    Giro crash replacement policy/procedure

After the winds on skiddaw stole my Giro E2, I went into Keswick Mountain Bikes to get me a new one (so not to waste the afternoon), and after trying the fit of a few (with a very helpful member of staff) Giro apparantly didn’t fit my head.

So went over the road to their other shop (the one above the cafe) and tried/bought the much better fitting (And £50) Specialized Instinct. Very Happy with it so far, even comes with a similar crash replacement policy too

kiwijohn

Can’t get either in Oz 🙁 Don’t meet the standards, so you’re not covered by insurance. You can get them in NZ though.

STATO
    Free Member

I had an original Xen which was ace but it reached the end of its life when i used it as a face brake :0( was a great helmet tho, if a bit hot, not so much due to lack of vents (there are quite a few) but more the larger area of pads in contact with your head.

Ive just bought a new Xen and having a few problems, the peak on these new ones rattles compared to the old one, the straps dont seem to sit as well (could be cos they are new) and the worst bit is with the new Rocloc4 adjusters, they just dont seem to allow you to tighten it when it on your head or falls apart. Still comfy tho, one of the best helmets i had.

james
    Free Member

“Can’t get either in Oz Don’t meet the standards, so you’re not covered by insurance”

Which ones do?

kiwijohn

E2, Atmos & the roadie ones. & cheap ones. I’ve got an E2 & a Havoc, which you can’t get now.
    The new Athlon & Phase look good, haven’t seen them available here yet.

timber

decided a while back not to spend excessive amounts on what is effectively a disposable item, on my second hex as it is good and <£50, pretty well vented, but not as well as the old met anaxgore which I would love to find some old shop stock of

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Giro Hex or Xen’ is closed to new replies.