Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Giant TCX slr 2 issue
  • rowlapa1974
    Free Member

After some time walking around my local bike shop today looking at all the shinny new bike I finally set my heart and cash on new giant TCX slr 2. All was well after a test ride and good chat and the chap happily counted my cash into the till.

But some hours later my MTB riding buddy spotted a problem, Giant have withheld all 2014 TCX slr 2 bikes due to an issue with the TRP brake calipers fitted to this model.
    The giant UK site has no mention of this problem, the only indication hear is that all the sizes in this model are out of stock in the Giant online shop. All but one website has any sort of explanation which is Pedalon.co.uk

So its a call to the shop in the morning to break the bad news to them, and get my cash back or a brake upgrade.

Just watch out for any other bikes for sale out there with the same brakes.

jim25

Can’t you just change the calipers? I wouldn’t let that stop me buying the bike I had decided on.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

More the point that a bike shop is selling a brand new bike that has a safety issue with the brakes.

I will be asking them if they can put a different set of calipers on the bike.

lamo
    Free Member

I had my tcx recalled a few weeks ago by giant. Its now got the new modified trp calipers. If your calipers are not already the modified ones then giant will swap them over. I suspect that they might be though if you got it from a main dealer

lilchris
    Free Member

I thought it only related to the hydraulics on the SLR1 and Advanced?

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Had a look at the Tektro website and the issue is with the cable operated caliper fittedcto the tcx slr 2

alexdodd
    Free Member

The Spyres had issues if the pads were allowed to thoroughly wear down whereby the ball bearings might dislodge, but it’s been sorted out now afaik 🙂

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Theres a delay somewhere as most shops are taking orders for the tcx but can’t deliver until mid feb-mid march

Jamie
    Free Member

You never know, the TCX may have had the brakes switched already. V2 is what you want to be seeing.

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Top man Jamie when I call the shop I will ask them to check as im not collecting the bike until Saturday.

Jamie
    Free Member

For the record, I have rode the old brakes, and had them replaced with the new ones. No one died during this time.

More info on Upgrade’s, the UK distributor, website:

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Brakes/Disc/TRP-Syre

pbooker1995
    Free Member

I work in a bike shop that supplies Giant bikes.

All of the units that were shipped before the recall were taken from sale and had the brakes modified.

If the unit hadn’t been shipped, the it was held by Giant until the brakes were fixed.

They have only been delivering this model for a few weeks now due to the brake problem.

HTH

househusband

I have a M/L TCX SLR2 on order and I’ve been told it is due to them week 7 – two weeks from now. If I hadn’t placed the order a couple of months ago I’ve been told I’d be looking at week 12!

Jamie
    Free Member

I have a M/L TCX SLR2 on order and I’ve been told it is due to them week 7 – two weeks from now. If I hadn’t placed the order a couple of months ago I’ve been told I’d be looking at week 12!

No pressure on it having to be the best bike you ever rode 😉

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Thanks for all the comments and help guys.

Spoken to the guy at the bike shop this morning and the TCX slrs they have in stock are all fitted with the new caliper.

jruk
    Free Member

Brake issues aside, what’s the ride/performance like? Very tempted but not amused by Giant’s total inability to give me a straight answer about availability. Please convince me I should wait as not sure of the other options.

lilchris
    Free Member

They’re flying off the shelves ‘cos they’re shite 😉

househusband

They’re flying off the shelves ‘cos they’re shite 😉

So you are indeed very happy with yours then! 8)

joff
    Free Member

trudges off to garage to look at brakes….

bikebouy
    Free Member

I totally love mine, it’s the advance, yup the one with SRAMs dodgy hydra brakes which should get changed in April..
    I’m carrying on riding though till then.
    😀

P20

Haven’t picked mine up yet c2w. Shop acknowledged problem and said they would swap to shimano or avid. Will ask for shimano so they use the same pads as wor lasses bike

joff
    Free Member

bikebouy when they fail they fail bad, like nothing im gonna die kinda stuff pick a hedge/ditch to crash into…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

so theres some out there? anywhere with small in stock?

rowlapa1974
    Free Member

Dirtyrider

Give Alf Jones at Wrexham a call, collected mine on Saturday and love it already.

Alf Jones 01978854300

househusband

After finding out today that my TCX SLR2 order has been put back, again, by another two weeks I cancelled the order.

However, I’m more than happy with the sublime deal that the same LBS has done me on something else! Collect it tomorrow morning.

8)

Jamie
    Free Member

However, I’m more than happy with the sublime deal that the same LBS has done me on something else! Collect it tomorrow morning.

Finally cracked, eh? Bit shitty you had to wait so long, seeing as you had your name down quite early.

Seeing as we are having to guess what you’re getting instead, I am going to say a Cannondale CAADX.

trail_rat
    Free Member

what you buy then ? im going to guess at a specialized of some kind or a ridley if its the shop i think.

househusband

No – I know I’d mentioned that one before.

It’s German and from the same company that make electric mountain bikes, full carbon, and is black and bright kermit green!

househusband

And I’m quite frankly astonished with the deal I’ve got.

cynic-al
    Free Member

non-round seatposts you say?

It’s the future!

Jamie
    Free Member

househusband

High-fives Jamie! :mrgreen:

(Although mine has black bar tape.)

Jamie
    Free Member

househusband

Just a bit…

Jamie
    Free Member

Well, congrats. Giant’s waiting list was taking the piss. Nice bikes, but not several+ months nice.

househusband

Cheers, Jamie.

(Have emailed you some info.)

stonemonkey
    Free Member

I feel quite lucky to have a new m/l slr2 sitting in front of me waiting for its first ride tomorrow. Not to sure if it’s to big though. What size are people going for. I’m 6 foot 32 inside leg

benji
    Free Member

That sounds right to me HH

nodrog2
    Free Member

Several Giant TCX slr2’s have come through our warehouse and have gone out to customers this week. Unsure of the sizes or when they were initially ordered though. Look after the hubs on these bikes as the wheels are a bit poor (to be expected I guess at this price point). Great frame, fork and rest of component package though.

P20

First ride out on mine today. The shop changed the brakes to Shimanos to get around the OP issue. It’s a small, feels spot on, though the bars are too narrow.

Untitled by ritcheyp20, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Giant TCX slr 2 issue’ is closed to new replies.