Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Getting wahoo calories correct into MfP
  • Kryton57

Its well documented on the net that wahoo calories are way out.   The best approximation of real calories is work (kJ) expressed in calories if using a PM.   My wahoo is very over stated in this respect.   Using Swift with the same PM has pretty much equal KJ & Cals

My setup is:

a) Zwift>Strava>MfP

or

b) Wahoo>Strava>MfP

How can I get an outdoor ride from my Wahoo to reflect correctly without over inflating my calories into myfitnesspal?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Buy a power meter?

Or rely on the strava calculation (might require some effort to delete the calorie data from the gpx file). Presumably STRAVA checks the accuracy ot its power estimates against riders that actually have a power meter, so they’re probably accurate for calculating totals over a few hours.

Or take a stab in the dark? It’ll probably be better than the garmin/wahoo heart rate based estimates.

Kryton57

I have a power meter, thats my point.   All the other apps correctly judge calories via KJ, but Wahoo uses an inaccurate algorithm, which then added an inaccurate calorie count to Strava, which then adds it to mfp.

A ride yesterday was 1982kj which ended up as 2890Kcal in Mfp – if I ate to that I’d be huge.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Something amiss there I think. My Wahoo suggested 1819kj for yesterday’s ride. In Strava this translated as 1765calories and the same in Training Peaks. (I go Wahoo to TP and Wahoo to Strava independently).

They always seem to be in the same sort of ball park, but when I don’t use my heart rate strap then calories consumed is exactly the same as the energy KJ.

So it’s not something to do with your heart rate data being prioritised as an estimator for calorie consumption rather than power?

barrykellett
    Free Member

a while back, strava started using the calculated calories from devices, how they calculate that is up to the device. I had the same issue with my old Garmin edge 500. Its way out, but probably the other way. Giving me 350kcals for an hours commute. Strava estimated watts and KJ were far closer to the real figure (Based on also using a PM a lot on the same routes/times/efforts)
    I just quit using MFP.

I tried uploading to Training peaks and using that to sync with MFP instead but it didn’t make any difference.

Kryton57

Something amiss there I think.

So I checked on the Wahoo app – its that.   The ride shows 1924KJ but 2814 calories.   I checked my profile and everything correct – height, weight, age, zones….

Perhaps the one thing odd about this specific ride is that although it was 80k in Z2 power, it turns out I was ill, knew I was tired, and riding back in a headwind so my HR is predominantly in Z3.   So in Wahoo speak – Fat Burn power yet Cardio HR.   Perhaps this is why?

In which case, which is the ACTUAL calories I’ve used up?

BlobOnAStick

Interesting! I had heard this about the Wahoo app so was being extra cautious about using the calories generated. So I have been closely comparing the output on the spin bike Vs wahoo (wahoo usually +5%ish) and Strava vs wahoo (approx the same).

I also wear a Fitbit which usually shows a much lower burn for all cycling but seems to massively over-calculate for walking activities (which I do a lot of by walking the dog)

It’s all a pain in the arse

avdave2

Can you just adjust your weight in the Wahoo profile till it starts to get close to where you think it should be? I don’t know if that will work or cause other issues.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Getting wahoo calories correct into MfP’ is closed to new replies.