Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Getting to Coniston
  • kilo

Mrs Kilo is planning for us to go to Coniston in April, question is how best to get there from London? Drive, train and cabs (if so from where?) any advice great fully received. Don’t need to take bikes so train is doable

ton

train to barrow, then taxi from there?
    or get off train at grange over sands, probably a bit nearer in taxi

or drive.

jekkyl

Drive. It’s in the middle of nowhere

TomB

A car is probably useful when you’re here, however the nearest station is Ulverston, on the Lancaster-barrow line. Direct train from London to Lancaster.

wors

Car and throw a bike in

ampthill

Train to Windermere and bus. Plenty to do from Coniston without a car. Walk, boat, bus, swim

Or train to Ulverston then bus.

Travel line says under 6 hours from Euston. Best time was 5 hours 7 minutes mid week

senorj

Drive.
    Chances are ,in April(easter?) ,the whole of the rail network will be shut for repair. Again.

sarawak
    Free Member

Trains up there are run by Northern Rail who will cancel of delay without warning. They are too unreliable foryouruse. Taxis will be expensive due to the distance.
    Take a Virgin to Preston then hire a car.

globalti
    Free Member

Hire a car in Preston? No Mate, all you’ll get will be a German saloon car in black or cream with a “noisy bastard” exhaust and some drugs hidden in the boot.

Carry on to Carnforth and hire a car the drive the rest.

sarawak
    Free Member

But trains from London don’t stop at Carnforth. There is no platform.
    Not many stop at Lancaster.
    Some stop at Oxenholme but that’s in the middle of nowhere.
    I’d ignore globalti. Sounds like he’s fighting a turf war.

All the trains heading towards Windermere, Barrow etc., are run by Northern Rail. The rolling stock was thrown out of London use when it was 15 years old. It’s now 40 years old so comfort is non existent. Plus they are in great danger of losing their franchise for unreliability etc. Don’t go near them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d drive. As above, getting near the Lakes is pretty easy by train, getting into them on the train, not so easy even though Coniston has good bus/walk/bike/boat transport.

Only problem with driving would be the negotiation of the M6 between Brum and Manchester which is always a total nightmare.

matt_outandabout

I am another one who doesn’t trust Northern…
    Get a Virgin express to somewhere nearish and hire a car.

Taxi in is daft money.

Buses are good, if a bit slow, and you will have to do two I think, no matter what route.

martinhutch

Afternoon train to Manchester. Night out and hotel, hire car in morning, 1.5 hours to Coniston.

mick_r

Not sure how you drive Manchester to Coniston in 1.5 hours…..

Train to Preston and then drive probably easiest. Plenty of car hire central Preston – many will pick you up from the station. A Korean car is more likely than a German one 🙂

Road / bus disruption Feb and March between Ambleside and Coniston due to United Utilities. I presume they are under pressure to finish before Easter holiday season. Don’t think there are many (any?) evening buses.

ampthill

“All the trains heading towards Windermere, Barrow etc., are run by Northern Rail. The rolling stock was thrown out of London use when it was 15 years old. It’s now 40 years old so comfort is non existent. Plus they are in great danger of losing their franchise for unreliability etc. Don’t go near them”

You should try the new rolling stock on the South East. You’ll ong to have that old rolling stock back

My folks do most holidays to the lakes by train. They haven’t had any problems. It’s Virgin to Oxeholme if you go that way

sarawak
    Free Member

If driving don’t take the northern route through Windermere and Ambleside. Go on the southerly route through Greenodd and Torver. Quicker, pleasanter, and far fewer grockles; you’ll have plenty of them in Coniston in April!

martinhutch

Not sure how you drive Manchester to Coniston in 1.5 hours…..

True, slightly optimistic, that was my Manc to Windermere benchmark time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Getting to Coniston’ is closed to new replies.