Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Getting a LARGE custom OS map
  • towzer

Anybody know a way (other than paper cut and paste) of getting a full 50000 map of the full ridgeway in a oner ?
    Something like a custom size printed os map of a specified area
    Ta

Drac

OS maps print custom maps not sure if they’re large or LARGE.

sarawak
    Free Member

Don’t know if you still can….but on the OS website there was an option to choose your own map area and the appropriate scale. They would then print it off for you in one piece. You could have it folded or flat.

I know they used to do it, because I have some maps ordered like that.

Of course the service may no longer be available. Trawl through the OS website and see what they offer.

jam-bo
    towzer

As far as I can work out you are limited to std 50000 map size via
    OS custom maps, really want the ability to specify the size as well (as good lady wants a full ridgeway picture)

So LARGE or large as dRAC suggested ⬆️

malgrey
    Free Member

I don’t think the whole Ridgeway would fit on one, as they’re always printed square by OS.

Have a play here: https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/shop/custom-made-maps.html#x

I stuck Goring in as a centre point, then dragged it about in 1:50k mode. Unless you know the Ridgeway well or have a reference to hand, it’ll take ages to be sure you’ve lined it up properly though! You can check by “locking” it then playing about with the detail in the red box to check points are covered.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Not sure if it’ll do the job, but you can get a custom OS map printed as wallpaper. I’ve long wanted one for a spare room.

https://www.custom-wallpaper-printing.co.uk/custom-wallpaper-maps.html

gregsd
    Free Member

Just buy this?

Ambrose

Tonyplym- have you seen this?

ajaj
    Free Member

You can go to an OS reseller and get them to print whatever you’d like. Price will vary a lot as resellers have different deals with OS on what they can resell.

Will be much cheaper if you can live with vectormap at 50k or an old 50k raster (Landranger) from when the 50k raster product was free because then you can stitch the tiles together yourself in qgis and use any old print shop and not an OS reseller.

globalti
    Free Member

We bought an OS map centred on our plot in 1:25,000 and are disappointed because the colouring and definition are not as good as the pre-printed maps. It looks as if it was printed on a giant inkjet printer. It will be OK stuck on a wall though.

Kahurangi

I had earlier had discussions with Blackwells in Newcastle about this, they could do them up to A0.

also have some friends who got them (or someone else, I’ll ask) to do an A1 custom print of the 1:50k, but printed slightly smaller (1:60k) to fit more on.

towzer

Cheers all, looks like some options, Sarawak will do some digging and get back

Ta

malgrey
    Free Member

Good effort Sarawak!

sarawak
    Free Member

Good effort Sarawak!

Thanks, but it’s a bit of a pig’s ear! The route just doesn’t lend itself to this sort of exercise. If it was circular the surrounding countryside could be used as fill in. But as I said, being a straight line it will just get lost if I fill the grey areas with map detail.
    Let’s see what @towser thinks.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Unlikely to get a professional printer to print that out, given the copyright issue.

Really, it’s the sort of route that could be rotated and to run left to right, or top to bottom instead of being printed with North at the top (I hate maps without North at the top though!).

I’d personally have it with the route in colour fading to black and white for the surrounding areas if printing it with North at the top.

ajaj
    Free Member

I had a go too, but using OS Open Data vectormap.

https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/maps2019/ridgeway.png

This is free to reprint but must be accompanied by the statement “Contains OS data © Crown Copyright and database right 2019”.

Please don’t rinse my AWS bill by all downloading!

towzer

Hi

like a full, massive OS sheet at 50000.
    Bottom LH corner just W and S of West Kennet, top left corner due north at Northleach (well just N and W) then top right corner at Ivinghoe (just N and E of it), bottom right corner due south of there at Virginia Water (which is due E of West Kennet) , so everything in that oblong like OS 50000 map

I haven’t got photo hosting but the one in the cafe is 122cm high and is 245cm wide ( but it does goes a fair bit W of West Kennet) so is bigger than needed

towzer

Cheers Sarawak, I wouldn’t spend too much time on it. I think the ‘best’ solution is likely to be the purchase of all the appropriate OS maps in roll mode(not pre folded), a large backboard, glue and scissors and someone who is neat and tidy who can stick it all together, that way at least the maps would be pretty cheap, might wander down town and ask at the local art shop – they do framing ….
    Cheers
    T

hedley
    Free Member

https://wetransfer.com/ is free up to 2GB

sarawak
    Free Member

Thanks. Know about that but wasn’t sure of the limit. I think I’ll need it!

ebygomm
    Free Member

It might be worth just getting a price from an OS reseller, they’d probably be able to supply 50k fairly easily and can probably laminate/mount it too – I’ve had things printed for work through John E Wright before

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Getting a LARGE custom OS map’ is closed to new replies.