Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)
  • George Osborne
  • Spongebob
    Free Member

Seems too young to be a chancellor and his voice grates on me.

Does he really know what he’s doing?

Do any politicians know what they are doing?

The coalition speak of reducing the deficit, but the deficit is still growing fast.

The truth is were bust and no politician in a democracy would risk alienating their supporters.

We need to make huge cuts and instill a sense of personal financial responsibility (there are no free meals and you need to consider how you will take care of your own in the future without expecting someon else to bail you out).

However the last 20 years has laden us with high debts, high costs of living and hig taxes, so changing our ways is a tough call.

It’s a mess!

The solution is low taxation to stimulate growth, but this would mean the end of our current expensive, unaffordable political system.

Stoner
    Free Member

Does he really know what he’s doing?

you’re really asking that question in here? 🙄

Why dont you just ask what STW-leftie-forumworld think of Gary Glitter, or Maggie Thatcher?

rkk01
    Free Member

Sandi Toksvig sumed him up best on Radio 4’s News Quiz (well his party, strictly speaking)…

…As…

“Putting the “n” into the Cuts”

uplink
    Free Member

Why dont you just ask what STW-leftie-forumworld think of Gary Glitter, or Maggie Thatcher?

They are one & the same I believe

rkk01
    Free Member

And that was long before the naughty mis-naming of The Right Honourable CHunt

binners

So…. to summarise…. WE’RE ALL DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

Looking at Gideon, I wouldn’t trust him to run a bath. Let alone the countries economy.

Fear not though. Once he’s delivered us all into an inevitable double-dip recession, and forced us all into poverty, he’ll just say ‘oops’, have a bit of a guffaw, throw some buns around a restaurant, then swan off to Monaco to count the squillions of pounds that mater and pater gave him

****ing Tories!!!

Spongebob
    Free Member

Well Milliband and his shower would do no better. Financially, they are away with the fairies and it’s a fact that they caused a great deal of the problems we face today.

Put in power again, Labour would destroy us – for sure!!! Anyone with a brain can see that!!!!

What we need is someone with a true commercial vision to get this country going again.

We need a radical re-think on our political system because it just panders to the whims of the electorate. It cheats everyone with it’s deception and lies. We need some people in the driving seat with a bit of integrity and with trimmed down egos too!

Stoner
    Free Member

What we need is someone with a true commercial vision to get this country going again.

Ive said it before, and I’ll say it again: Bring on the Hush Puppies.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

He is a lightweight plonker without a clue.

One of Camerons buddies from years ago tho

As predicted public sector spending is rising as the cuts cause increased unemployment benefits and decreased revenues.

At some point Cameron will have to sack him to survive I bet.

Pauly

We’ll never learn.

“The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled,
    public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be
    tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be
    curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work,
    instead of living on public assistance.” – Cicero , 55 BC

Stoner
    Free Member

As predicted* public sector spending is rising as the cuts cause increased unemployment benefits and decreased revenues.

* by the government, the OBR, the Treasury.

You make it sound like rise in unemployment was unexpected, but somehow Tandem “The Sage” Jeremy was the only one to “predict” it? You’re Vince Cable and I claim my £5 Tax Credit.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Jesus Christ!

nickf
    Free Member

The coalition speak of reducing the deficit, but the deficit is still growing fast.

Both of these can be true. As an example, the 2009/10 deficit (as opposed to debt) was 11.4%, up from 6.8% the prior year, according to the ONS, an increase of 4.6 points The numbers have since changed, and aren’t the point at issue here, but you can see that it would be quite possible to reduce the deficit by, say, 50%, to an increase of 2.3 percentage points. This would still be a large increase, but the politicians would quite legitimately be able to claim an impressive reduction.

This is all based on the supposition that we can trust politicians and the drivel they all speak on economic matters – selective misquoting is the very best you can ascribe to them, and in many cases they’re only one step away from outright lies.

Once they stop talking about deficit (i.e. rate of increase or decrease in debt growth) and focus on actual debt reduction, I’ll start to listen.

allthepies
    Free Member

With the towering economic colossus that is Alan Johnston opposing him he’ll probably do OK 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Spongebob – Member

Well Milliband and his shower would do no better. Financially, they are away with the fairies and it’s a fact that they caused a great deal of the problems we face today.

Oh no its not. Its an opinion and a misinformed one.

Put in power again, Labour would destroy us – for sure!!! Anyone with a brain can see that!!!!

Given that under the last labour government we had the greatest period of financial stability I have known – compared to the utter chaos under the tories previously- I think this is foolish to say the least

Stoner
    Free Member

financial stability

Which is metaphorically more stable, a predictable roller coaster, or an unpredictable cliff drop?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – look at the predictions form the government – that unemployment will fall as will public sector spending – this is what Osbourne said.

Still – its the usual toryboys creaming themselves over the ideological cuts cos it makes their pointless lives seem better to know that the oiks are going to be put in their place.

binners

We need some people with a bit of integrity and trimmed down egos too!

Oh my aching sides. Yes… the modest and public-spirited have always been drawn to Westminster politics 😀

Its all academic anyway. What the last few years have proved is that it isn’t the politicians that are running the country, its the bankers. No political party will say boo to them as they are all in their pockets. The Tories are their natural friends, but what was Blairs first job on leaving office?

So… its back to business as usual in the city. Untroubled as they are by any new regulation.

Within a couple of years, we’ll be in the middle of the second wave of the banking crisis, as the TRUE value of their (and now our) liabilities become obvious. The stuff they… erm… forgot to mention

And when that happens then will make this lot so far look like a tea party. Its armageddon I’m afraid

Not that anyone in any political party will dare to mention any of this. NA NA NA NOT LISTENING!!! Perhaps if we don’t talk about it, it won’t happen. Fingers crossed eh?

Peyote
    Free Member

He’s done remarkably well at deflecting much of the flack that should’ve landed on him at the Lib Dems. Ole Vince and Nick have really got covered in it, whereas he’s still held up by the Tory-boys as a shining example of what we should all worship.

I really don’t like him, I really don’t trust him and I disagree with his and his party’s ideaology. That Cameron chap seems a bit dodgy too.

Hopefully soon someone* will realise that we all need to rethink how this country’s going to operate longterm, and not just worry about screwing over another bunch of people/countries for a quick buck (yep, buck, not quid). “Commercial vision” is an oxymoron.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

FGS I wasn’t going to comment but… no I’m still not going to bother.

I just don’t understand why Tories, will not and do not accept that the actions of Gordo saved us from proper financial ruin. Dave commended him on this at the time but now prefers to talk about TINA & ALF to implement his ideology now.

****** I commented.

Stoner
    Free Member

TJ – do you ever read stuff?

http://budgetresponsibility.independent.gov.uk/d/labour_market_forecasts_190810.pdf

Unemployment forecast to INCREASE through 2010 to 2011

binners

Stoner – getting into an argument with TJ about economics is like throwing your shoes at the sky to protest against clouds.

I’d leave it if I were you. For your own sanity

Stoner
    Free Member

incoming moccassin!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – yes. I read osbournes speech where he predicted unemployment would fall as a result of his cuts. That is what he claimed

Of course loads of other folk told him it was balderdash and the lastest figures prove it.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Direct quotes from Osbourne in November

“Their central forecast is for sustainable growth of over 2% for each of the next five years and employment rising in each and every year.”

The unemployment rate was expected to be 7.9% this year, down from the earlier forecast of 8.1%. The forecast for next year was unchanged at 8%.

The OBR’s decision to cut the predicted reduction in public sector jobs to 330,000 followed the Government’s decision “to cut welfare bills rather than public services”.

Mr Osborne said: “Those headcount reductions that still need to take place will happen over four years, not overnight.

“And the OBR forecast is that private sector job creation will far outweigh the reduction in public sector employment.”

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Stoner – getting into an argument with TJ about economics is like throwing your shoes at the sky to protest against clouds.

TBH, you could reverse the names and the sentence would still stand.

Stoner
    Free Member

I read osbournes speech where he predicted unemployment

come on then. Linky-linky. Lets see the context, whats the timing of the turning points he was talking about? posts crossed. Will come back below.

And you’re quite right binners. I blame spongebob for coming up with such a dumbarse question.

Thing is I too think Osborne a plonker, but it’s not because of his politics, his schooling, the fact he sometimes wears a black tie at dinner or any other pathetic ad-hominem. It’s because he hasnt made a technically literate defence of his plans, his wider economic philosophy, or demanded, and demanded and demanded any answers from the other parties on how to re-gear the economy. No party (small “p”, TJ) deserves to criticise without at least coming up with some costed viable alternatives.

There was some pathetic weasel of a Union rep from Somerset on R4 the other day, consistently managing to avoid the (rather wet attempts by the interviewer) question of what his Union would propose as alternative solutions to budget balancing for Somerset council.

binners

johnners
    Free Member

See, I was a bit unsure about that, but when I read it again I was completely convinced by the extra exclamation marks.

Stoner
    Free Member

The unemployment rate was expected to be 7.9% this year, down from the earlier forecast of 8.1%. The forecast for next year was unchanged at 8%

thanks for the quote then.

Here we have it ^ Osborne confirming that expectations were for unemployment to rise next year over this. The fact that the observed data suggested better employment results somehow makes him a liar does it?

You live in a contorted world of foamy-mouthed ranting TJ.

allthepies
    Free Member

lol!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh dear Stoner.

Osbourne said unemployment would fall. The OBR said it would not. This was in November

Latest figures show unemployment and deficit figures to be much much worse than either predicted.

You will not be able to pretend your tory fantasy is working soon as it will be obvious to everyone that the course Osborne is steering us down will end in vastly increaed unemployment and a far worse deficit as he puts us back into recession.

This is the lesson from history.

si-wilson
    Free Member

TJ, how can you say that we had the most financial stable time under Labour, of course we did cos they spent the next 25 years worth of budgets!

O my o my o my.

Stoner
    Free Member

Osbourne said unemployment would fall. The OBR said it would not.

over which periods? Your quotes are out of context.

“Their central forecast is for sustainable growth of over 2% for each of the next five years and employment rising in each and every year.”

If that’s a quote of Osborne, who is the “their” that he is quoting?

si-wilson
    Free Member

TJ, i think its you with the MASSIVE issue regards to politcal idealism and that you live in a strange world of denial becasue of your hatred towards the blue corner 😉

TheBrick
    Free Member

**** knows why he is Chancellor.

Degree in History then worked for the Conservative party. Where are his credentials in Economics?

Economics is a broad subject ranging from nearly a proper science at some of the more mathematical end to a more soft science at the political end but it’s something that requires some technical knowledge and experience. Not just pure business side economic experience either as you have look at some of the effects of the decisions in a special context rather than all growth is good no matter what. Osborn seems to show no experience in any of these area according to his work history but yet he is in charge of the budget!?!

Stoner
    Free Member

**** knows why he is Shadow Chancellor.

Postman and then worked for the Labour party. Where are his credentials in Economics?

If there was an entrance exam, even Vince would flunk it.

si-wilson
    Free Member

you do realise that he has a team of people working for him that probably do know a bit about economics?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

si – because by any objective measure we did. Continuous low inflation and continuous growth until the banking crisis – which was not of Labours making.

These are the facts. stable growth, low inflation, low interest rates for more than a decade

Compare that with the previous tory administration with repeated recessions, high inflation and high interest rates

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 170 total)

The topic ‘George Osborne’ is closed to new replies.