Viewing 22 posts - 361 through 382 (of 382 total)
  • Genesis Vagabond – anyone got one?
  • alex_b
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me what the BB shell width is on the 2021 Vagabond? It’s not listed anywhere on the website and I even phoned Freewheel, but they couldn’t tell me. They did promise to get back to me, but I haven’t heard back.

I’m thinking a Vagabond with a GRX 2×11 chainset would be a pretty cool build.

riddoch

The full build lists its bottom bracket as SRAM GXP XR 73mm, but that could be spaced out. Odd thing not to list, I think the 2019 version I have is 68mm and took a GRX chainset but not a 105 one.

iainc

Just a heads up that my hardly used medium Vagabond is about to go up for sale as I haven’t really used it since getting a Fugio last year. I bought it new exactly 2 years ago and it’s done one Hebridean bikepacking trip and half a dozen other day rides and is pretty much stock, though with WTB Nano tubeless tyres.

Glasgow area, so PM if reasonably local and interested please.

gs_triumph

Hi,.just picked up a 2019 framed vagabond.

It’s currently fitted with TRP Spyres and 180mm rotors.

I’m planning to switch it over to hydraulics – either GRX400 or Tiagra.

Is the frame and fork rated to take 180mm rotors?

Also, any idea if the frame has clearance for a 2×10 with 50/34?

Thanks in advance.

Dickyboy

Is the frame and fork rated to take 180mm rotors?

It’s built like a tank, so 180mm rotors will be fine.

gs_triumph

Good point!

Any ideas on the 2x crankset?

p7eaven
    Free Member

My 2016 had a 2x. Specifically:

Shimano Deore FC-M615 cranks
    40/28T
    Shimano SM-BB52, 68mm B/B
    KMC X10 chain
    Shimano CS-HG500 & 11-36T

So shod it was a good all-round tough-bimbler/rough-tourer (with strong MTB bias) but I can see the attraction of a 50T.

*Edit: Not sure if the 2019 frame was the same or not tho so prob no help soz!

gs_triumph

Next questions…

I’m running tiagra 4720 2×10 levers.

Will a deore FD work with the STI? It’s a 3x (40/30/22) crankset that’s currently on there. If I can’t get a road 2x crank to fit i’m thinking I could run the current FD and crankset but only use the big two in the short term. Will that work?

Would a shimano road FD work on the vagabond frame?

Alternatively I have a microshift bar end hufter for the FD.

I have a tiagra RD I can fit that will work with a 11-36 cassette so the back end isn’t an issue.

I will no doubt have more questions so thanks for your patience.

tx310
    Free Member

Might be a bit late but a deore FD won’t really work properley with the STI shifters.I ended up with a tiagra front mech with 2x for a while which worked pretty well. I eventually switched to a 1x system with a 40t chainring and 11-42 cassete in the back with a XT 11 speed rear derraileur mated with my 10 speed tiagra shifters via a wolftooth tanpan. The problem with the 2x for me was simply mud getting clogged in it and causing problems with noise and shifting over the winter – especially since I commuted daily through mud. In terms of crankset I run a sqaure taper crankset from spa cycles which means I can adjust my bottom bracket length in order to ensure clearance. I have also seen people using the GRX 2x crankset on the vagabond without any clearance problems.

riddoch

No clearance issues with the GRX crankset but also needed the GRX derailleur as the 105 I had would quite shift far enough over to be reliable.

shermer75
    Free Member

I’m super tempted by this frame but why the crappy flat mounts with their teeny tiny rotors lol. Does anyone know if you can fit a more sensible 180 mm post mount caliper to the fork and 160mm post mount to the frame?

shermer75
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the tyre clearance on the fork for the 2022 frameset is?

gs_triumph

Seems to be spec’s at 2.1″ both ends but if it’s anything like previous models you could probably fit a 3″ in the front without any issues.
    I’ve run 2.4″ vittoria barzos front and back on my 2019 with no issues. Tons of clearance on front. Back is at its limit with a FD.

ajantom

Older model here, but I easily fitted a 2.4 in the front. I did test fit a 29+ wheel and it just fitted.

*Edit*. Wow, just looked at the current 2022 model…£2,199!
    It’s not a budget Monstercross anymore is it 😆
    Still happy with my 2016 Vagabond for £750 new!

shermer75
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Yep, the new prices are pretty eye watering. The complete bike was £1,699 last year, and the components look pretty much the same! That’s an extra £500, or nearly 30%…

gowerboy

Edit*. Wow, just looked at the current 2022 model…£2,199!
    It’s not a budget Monstercross anymore is it 😆

It’s not really the “poor man’s” Fargo any more either… if it ever was.

iainc

I bought mine new 3 years back, sold it last year. I got it specifically for a Hebridean bike packing trip and it did the job well. I sold it when it was 2 years old for not much of a loss.

I think when I bought it the retail price was £1100 and I paid a bit less with a decent discount. Even at that, it wasn’t particularly good vfm, based on the components.

ajantom

I think when I bought it the retail price was £1100 and I paid a bit less with a decent discount. Even at that, it wasn’t particularly good vfm, based on the components.

I think the RRP was £999 on my 2016 model, but I got it for £750 in a sale (remember those?!)

Full Deore, Spyres, Microshift barend shifters, WTB nanos. Not a bad spec. Wheels are a bit lumpen!
    I put a nicer saddle, Thomson post, and a slightly bigger big ring (44t as it felt under geared on the road)

Still loving it though 😎 did a 90km gravel ride in 4hrs yesterday.

shermer75
    Free Member

Yep the new prices bring it in line with more boutiquey brands such as Surly and Singular, which is odd

IdleJon

Mine needs a full rebuild of the drivetrain, but I can’t decide whether to do that or sell it on as it is. I’ve got another gravel bike (Marin Gestalt X11, which is excellent) but the Vag is such an unusual bike that I’m not sure I want to let it go. It’s a nice conundrum to have. 😀

shermer75
    Free Member

Does anyone know what the tyre clearance at the rear is like? Is 29×2.4 doable?

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve run 2.4″ vittoria barzos front and back on my 2019 with no issues. Tons of clearance on front. Back is at its limit with a FD.

Hang on, mo worries, just read this^^

Viewing 22 posts - 361 through 382 (of 382 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.