Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)
  • Genesis Fugio 30, 2020 opinions ?
  • supernova

If anyone fancies one of these, they seem to be £500 off here:

https://www.cyclesurgery.com/p/genesis-fugio-30-2020-Q3314327.html?colour=157

iainc

^^^^ that’s a good deal !

trailwagger
    Free Member

@iainc this is the bolt and how far it sits in when the wheel is in.

null

iainc

No bolt stick though on mine :

trailwagger
    Free Member

Do you have a bolt in there at all? I don’t get it, this is the second fugio I have owned and they have both been like this.

iainc

[url=https://gasstation-nearme.com/diesel]next diesel gas station[/url]

trailwagger
    Free Member

Any idea what I’m doing wrong? Does that bolt stay in you axle when you remove it?

iainc

That bolt stays where it is in the picture at all times. When I have the axle out and go to put back in, I have to push that dropout in a wee bit so the axle engages, and the bolt goes up the inside of the axle I think. It looks to me like yours has a bolt that’s a few mm too long.

Mister-P
    Free Member

With the money I have saved during lock down I’ve decided to order one of these. I pick it up on Friday.

iainc

Excellent choice, loving mine !

burko73

As a result of lockdown savings/ lockdown bike sale (sold a cotic escapade I was running with 700x40c nano’s and an on one fatty)I recently bought a new gravel bike.

The Fugio was on my list with a Kona Libre but I went for a Bombtrack Hook EXT-C in the end. Got it cheaper than that Fugio and its full carbon fork and frame, Rival 11 with 650b Hunt wheels and wtb tyres. Its an absolute blast and will take 700x45c or 650b x 2.1″ tyres.

It’s pretty comfy, approx 9kg tubeless in small and seems to fly. I’m dead chuffed.

I bought a mini salsa anything bracket/ pack for a few tools, plug kit and bits under the downtime which seems to work well. I had used a tool caddy with a voile strap in a down tube mounted bottle cage but it looked scruffy as I had to keep the lid on with gaffer tape.

The only thing I need to do better is to find a better option for a pump!

orena45

Any ownership updates on this worth hearing?  Considering semi-replacing my 2013 CdF with a 2020 Fugio 30 on my work’s C2W scheme.

What are the stock wheels like?

Anyone on a medium with a 32″ inseam? Presumably there’s enough room for the dropper to operate.  Measurements look fairly similar to my 54cm CdF and I can’t imagine the dropper would have enough room on that.

Any more 700c tyre size experiments in the rear to hear of?

Ta

funkmasterp

I’m on a medium with a 29” inseam and have the post quite low due to the short crank arms. the drop is only short though so you’ll likely be left with a fair bit of post to deal with even when dropped.

Only ridden it a handful of times in fairer weather, but it’s a fun bike and the stock wheels seem fine. If you’re wanting 700c tyres I’d honestly look elsewhere. The bike is pretty much designed around the smaller wheels and clearance. Not great with 700c tyres.

If you’re anywhere near Macclesfield you’re more than welcome to take mine out for a little spin if/when travelling is allowed.

iainc

Mine is also a medium, and I’m a 30” inside leg. Lovely bike, can’t fault it. As others have said, it’s best suited to the 650 wheels and big tyres.

I had a 54 Croix de Fer and it feels same size. I also have a medium vagabond.

orena45

Thanks funkstermasterp. Appreciate the offer of a spin but I’m in Cornwall so too far away, even in rosier times!

Cheers Iainc also.

Yeah I’m not too hung up on 700c wheels on it tbh. Nice to have the option of a decent size though.

My C2W scheme provider will price match current sale prices out there, so it’s very tempting to get it at effectively 50% off RRP

funkmasterp

I bought mine from Winstanley back in October for a good price. Great service and turnaround too. Might be worth checking to see if they still have stock.

Mister-P
    Free Member

31 inch inside leg on a medium here. Stock wheels are decent enough. I’ve set mine up tubeless which was pretty painless. No complaints with mine at all.

Yetiman
    Free Member

This is my Fugio 10 which was delivered a couple of weeks back. It’s an XL so can’t help with the sizing but can confirm the 700×40 wheels from the CDF30 fit with room to spare for a slightly bigger tyre.

andysandes
    Free Member

I’ve ordered the 2021 30 in the crazy purple and pink colour. Sizing wise I’m typically an “XL”, the shop I’m buying from (had. to do remotely) did mention that some of the sizes are quite roomy. I ended up settling for a large on their recommendation.

Hopefully it will be the right size! Just worth looking at the charts.

Andy

dandandandan
    Free Member

@trailwagger did you ever work out how to remove the rear wheel without a tool? I have the same bike and the same issue with a long screw that needs to be removed, actually having trouble sufficiently tightening the axle back in.

sillyoldman

The driveside threaded part of the axle is adjustable (and ultimately removable) simply so that you can select the angle at which the NDS lever is tight. Same idea as other handled axles, but different execution.
    If the bolt holding the threaded section in place is tight (once position is chosen), the whole unit goes in and comes out as one single unit.

Basically – set up the threaded nub and tighten in place once, then never touch it again.

trailwagger
    Free Member

@dandandandan hard to explain bit it’s basically as sillyoldman says. The bolt is only used to set the lever position and should stay in the thru axle when it is removed.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

So I’m the new owner of FunkmasterP’s Fugio…

The hanger bolt on that was way too short – it only engaged in the inner part by about 2 threads and was on the verge of stripping out. I’ve replaced it with a longer one (M4x20CSK) which I’ve cut to precise length.

On the whole it’s a crap design of hanger as the 2 parts can rotate relative to each other, and I’ve never yet managed to just insert the axle and do it up – there’s always some wiggling and jiggling and cursing to get the threads engaged.

I’ve swapped both axles for “Prime Lightweight Road Disc Through Axles” from Wiggle, which have knocked off 100g for £25 and seem to just work, with no levers to fanny with or to break off on a rock.

Otherwise – what do I think? Feels a bit like a Friday bike? The basics are right – handles well, descends nicely, comfortable if rather porky – but it feels like they did the geo and tube selection in the morning, got to lunchtime, went down the pub then rushed the detail because POETS day. The mech hanger design is troublesome as we’ve discussed, cable routing is at best half arsed – I’d actually say atrocious, and I’ve no idea why they put the seat tube bottle bosses so far up the tube – compromises luggage room no end = I’ve made an adaptor to offset mine 75mm lower. (and why in 2021 are they supplying an off-road bike with tubes in???)

For the money I paid, I’m pretty happy, but it ain’t a £3000 bike…

sillyoldman

Got the same dropout and axles on my Datum – never had an issue with either.

The 2021 bike comes with tubes fitted, but also with tubeless taped rims, tubeless ready tyres, and tubeless valve stems. Just needs splooch put in and the tubes kept for spares/historical interest. It also has more mounting points inc an anything cage/dual position bottle cage mounts on the seat tube along with many others.

Personally, I like the cable routing. Less outer, easy to lube the cables, the rear section doesn’t have gravity fill it with water as it comes from the CS rather than the SS. Shame about the redundant adjuster on the stock 1x build mind you.

For anyone who doesn’t get on with the axles, Shimano ones fit, and while not cheap, are very nice.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

the rear section doesn’t have gravity fill it with water as it comes from the CS rather than the SS

Whereas that’s exactly what happened with the downward facing mount at the bottom of the down tube, which is directly in line with all the spray from the front wheel and then loops under the BB. 2 wet rides and mine gummed up (not helped by the fancy coated cables going fluffy as soon as they saw any abrasion) and cheap non-sealed ferrules. Next time it happens it’ll be getting full outer.

Putting in a stealth dropper routing hole in the seat tube, then nothing to get the cable to the bars is again, just bad planning. Cable tieing multiple cables onto one saddle from the factory is sloppy. If it was me, I’d take a leaf out of Cotic’s book (and no doubt others) and fit bolt bosses and supply single, double and 3 way mounts to bolt on so you can choose the best solution for your setup.

iainc

Probs my fave bike, even though I have 2 carbon ebikes !

sillyoldman

If it was me, I’d take a leaf out of Cotic’s book (and no doubt others) and fit bolt bosses and supply single, double and 3 way mounts to bolt on

Each to their own, but I’ve hated those things on bikes I’ve had with them.

dandandandan
    Free Member

Thanks for the explanations, I think I understand now.

So the ‘nub’ (bushing that sits in the hanger) sets the lever position
    but should be fixed onto the screw attached to the axle, i.e. there should there be an inner and outer thread? If so then I’ve stripped the inner trying to remove the axle, in my defence i received the bike completely assembled and just unwound the lever, I’m not sure whether to blame the shop/factory/myself for this!

Currently unwinding the handle causes the axle and screw to just spin while the bushing stays (more or less) in place, i can only remove/tighten the axle by holding the screw.

It’s ridable as is but not ideal (especially if need to remove at trailside), It sounds like just completely replacing axle with a more “standard” male end threading straight into the hanger will avoid a lot of faff in the long run, the thread is m12 x p1.5 but I’m not 100% about the length (total and threaded section), i think it’s 160mm/15mm, but if anyone can clarify this for my sanity then i’d appreciate it.

sillyoldman

Can you tighten the small screw with the axle in place? If so, once tightened, you’ll be able to remove the axle as a single unit. If it’s stripped it’ll need retapped (if possible) or replaced.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I used these
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/prime-lightweight-road-disc-thru-axle/rp-prod199731
    rear was 163/15/M12*P1.5
    front was 124/15/M12*P1.5

(I reckon the 160 R would also work)

sillyoldman

They’re nice for the money.

dandandandan
    Free Member

Sorry, it’s the inner part i think has stripped, the screw just pops out when i remove the axle and i can remove the bushing by hand, then i will just replace the whole turding trio with a single axle.

Thanks Jon, if the 163 sits flush then I’ll go for that.

Mister-P
    Free Member

If anyone is in the market for a medium Fugio there’s a 2021 Fugio 10 QC check bike on Freewheel at 10% off with an extra 15% off this weekend. That’s £1300 for a £1700 bike just because it’s been built up to check before stock could be released for sale.

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/genesis-fugio-10-md-qc-sample-unused-gn21300mdqc

Viewing 33 posts - 81 through 113 (of 113 total)

The topic ‘Genesis Fugio 30, 2020 opinions ?’ is closed to new replies.