Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • GEEK HELP REQUIRED!! Forum notification on iPhone/RSS?
  • robdob
    Free Member

I want to get notification of new posts on forums I have posted on, is this possible?
    I have an iphone I use to access the forums. I have never used RSS feeds ever, will that help me? And how do I configure it all??j

andym
    Free Member

There are different ways you can do it. I think you can read RSS feeds directly in Safari – but you might just as well click on the thread itself.

Best bet is to get an RSS reader (try netNewswire for instance). Install it. Then subscribe to the RSS feed (click on the link ‘RSS feed for this topic’

Or alternatively you can subscribe via Google Reader than use Byline on your iPhone to sync with Google Reader.

GrahamS

Or alternatively you can subscribe via Google Reader than use Byline on your iPhone to sync with Google Reader.

Or just use Google Reader on the iPhone. It presents a nice mobile version when you do.

GrahamS
    robdob
    Free Member

I’ll try google reader, cheers.

robdob
    Free Member

Hmmm. Google reader just takes me back to Safari which is a bit pointless.

GrahamS

Yeah, it’s a web app.

Were you looking for something that emails you or something?

robdob
    Free Member

Yeah, or an app which I can select and it shows me any new posts on threads I have subscribed to.

RSS confused me, I can’t see the point in it but I’m sure it’s something that would be useful to me.

cp

just click on your profile on stw and look at the list of stuff you’ve posted on 🙂

andym
    Free Member

Hmmm. Google reader just takes me back to Safari which is a bit pointless.

Well try NetNewswire or Byline then. I did say there were a number of ways of doing it. Experiment. After all they’re all free.

robdob
    Free Member

I will try them. Already tried to use another RSS reader but I couldn’t fathom it out, maybe I just went for the wrong one.

Cheers

andym
    Free Member

Think of an RSS feed as a simple web page. You need the link to it and once you have that you need to be able to get the reader to subscribe to it so it will automatically go to the page and get any changes. The best ones should make it painless. There are other Readers on the App Store – some free and others paid for.

andym
    Free Member

EDIT: just downloaded and had a quick play with NetNewsWire. What you have to do is set up an account using a web browser and then sign in and then click on ‘add feeds’ get the address of the STW feed that you want and paste it in. It should then be ready to go.

Google Reader is also really easy to use once you have the feeds set up. Again it might be easier to break it down into two steps: first start by using a desktop to set up the account and the feeds and then try getting the reader going on the iPhone.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘GEEK HELP REQUIRED!! Forum notification on iPhone/RSS?’ is closed to new replies.