• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Bez.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gear ratio’s Will I notice a difference?
  • thered

Going from .80 to .74

concrete24
    Free Member

In my recent experience; yes – on the steepest stuff – but if this is a chain ring swap you are contemplating you might find the benefit is throughout the range, (I went from 34 to 32 and find I use the whole range much more effectively now).

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

if you struggled in the .80 then yes, otherwise probably not.

lovewookie

if you notice a mm here or there in handlebar/saddle adjustments then probably, as you’re more prone to noticing stuff.
    If you just get on any bike and ride it, then probably not.

I’m definitely the former.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

yes.
    You will.

cynic-al
    Free Member

7.5%

Geared: less than half a gear? I doubt it.

Single speed definitely.

savoyad

Get in units which make sense rather than impenetrable decimals – Sheldon Brown’s calculator will give you km/h at your usual cadence for each of the gears you have in mind. The comparison is a lot easier to make then.

Bez

Single speed definitely.

Having a 0.8 singlespeed ratio and contemplating reducing it would imply a rear wheel over 6ft in diameter 🙂

I think the “only if you struggle on the existing ratio” reply is about right. Personally I’d qualify it a bit further by saying you’ll only notice it if you also like to stay seated on climbs or if you’re carrying luggage. If you stand on an unloaded bike, particularly one without rear suspension, then the torque gains from reducing your ratio tend to be offset by an increased tendency for wheelspin.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I think the “only if you struggle a tiny bit on the existing ratio

FTFY…If you are really struggling it won’t make enough of a difference.

Bez

True dat

whitestone
    Free Member

0.8 ratio implies something like 32T front to 40T rear which doesn’t sound right. (I plugged various chainring/cog options in to bikecalc.com for that)

molgrips
    Free Member

0.8 ratio implies something like 32T front to 40T rear which doesn’t sound right

You can get 40T cassettes.

And to the OP – yes you will notice it. But steep climbs will still be hard. They are always hard, only the speed you do them at varies.

philjunior
    Free Member

Yes you will notice it, it’s somewhere between the nice 1T gaps in the middle of a tight road cassette and the slightly annoying 2T gaps on a wider range (still road) cassette.

It will help you get up stuff that requires up to 7.5% more torque.

whitestone
    Free Member

@molgrips – I was thinking singlespeed actually following on from Bez’s comment.

Bez

it’s somewhere between the nice 1T gaps in the middle of a tight road cassette and the slightly annoying 2T gaps on a wider range (still road) cassette

And much less than the 4T gaps that you get at the low end of even a pre-1x MTB cassette. We’re talking a shift from a 32T sprocket to the equivalent of a 34.6T one: that’s only a bit over half the final shift at the bottom of an 11-36 cassette. Loose change. If I was dragging panniers through the Alps I’d happily take it; but on an unloaded mountain bike, meh.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gear ratio’s Will I notice a difference?’ is closed to new replies.