Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gear cables
  • shortyj15

Are sealed cables work it? I got a solaris with a enclosed run from the top tube to the rear mech. 1 X 10 system.

I came back from a ride in the snow the other day and washed the bike off and now I can barely shift gears.

shortyj15

Any ideas? Is gore sealed worth it?

medoramas
    Free Member

I haven’t tried Gore cables, but I’m a fan of Shimano XTR ones – I don’t use full length outer, so this super-offer makes me happy – give ’em a try!

downhilldave

Tried the “Gore” sealed ones and the do work quite well, but the crap still gets in. Just takes longer. Fit a Middleburn inline chain oiler and change your cables more often.It’s what I run on my Xx1 setup which originally had the Gore cable. Also tried Transfil Flying Snakes years ago, just the same.

Northwind

I use Shimano on all of mine, it’s not 100% sealed but it’s as close as makes no difference. I’ve moved the ferrules etc from bike to bike and just bought sp40 outer and cheap stainless inners

fasthaggis

Cheap alternative

z1ppy

and some sort of link to them FH?

SP41 in bulk for me, only run full length cables and just use cheap and cheerful ferrules.. still interested in those sealed(?) ends FH..

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’ve run fully run outers for many years now and certainly can say it’s a lot less hassle than partial runs. Rarely change gear cable now unless it snaps, and the outer only gets changed when the ends start fraying, but good quality ferules seem to help. I can’t remember where I got them, but they’re a harder sort of ferule and seem to resist splitting at the shifter end, so the outer doesn’t fray so easily.

I don’t use any special sealed ends, just the ferules, but definitely SP41 is the stuff you want for outers. Pair with any old stainless steel cable.

whyme
    Free Member

anyone using jagwire outers?

devash
    Free Member

anyone using jagwire outers?

I’ve used these Jag kits for the full outer run on my Specialized Camber;

http://jagwire.com/products/v/mountain_pro_shift

The kits come with everything to do a sealed full run or anything in between. The sealed end ferrules are really good and I tend to get a year out of a kit before shifting tightens up considerably.

neilwheel
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    and some sort of link to them FH?

On Singletrack Bikes site, Shimano SP40 with rubber shield, I think?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gear cables’ is closed to new replies.