Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Fork choice for Soul (26" content)
  • molesworth

In the market for a new fork. I am by no means a huck-meister – wheels stay on the ground except in extremis. The vast majority of my riding is natural rather than trail-centre, mostly Derbyshire (more White Peak than Dark Peak). Current fork is a rather well-used RS Reba Race (100mm).

I’m considering a Fox Float 120 O/C CTD or a RS Revelation of some description – although maybe the Revelation might be a bit long travel for my needs.

Feel free to suggest/slag off/laugh at my Luddite short-travel hardtail ways.

Scapegoat

Take the spacer out of your reba and increase to 120. Sorted. That and a service kit off eBay and an hour of your time to service the fork and you’re laughing.

Vortexracing

I have used a Rev set at 130mm for about 5 years, seems spot on to me.

as Scapegoat said try upping your Rebas to 120mm

mboy
    Free Member

If you fancy a newer, better condition fork. I’m selling a 2011 Reba Team 120mm travel, 20mm axle right now. It’s near enough immaculate, just a couple of minor scrapes to the lowers. Just had a full service only 3 rides ago, only done about 20 rides from new.

And FWIW I think the Soul works best with a 120mm fork.

nickdavies

You’ve got about the perfect fork on there now.
    If you fancy a change hunt out a 2012 dual air reba 120mm so you can try either length, and go to a 15mm front wheel.

rob2
    Free Member

If your reba can’t be spaced out (some opm ones can’t from memory), try a reba from bike-discount.de. Cheap as chips

molgrips
    Free Member

I have some Revs that would be perfect on the classifieds right now 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

110-140mm U turn Revs at 125mm here. Been used in the Peak and sometimes increase the travel to 130 or 140mm on the really rocky stuff but can get a bit wandery. Def try and get something with a maxle for stiffness

Northwind

The perfect Soul fork was the old 100-130mm air Revelation imo. Damping a bit dated- but pretty light, sensibly stiff, and covered all the lengths where the Soul works best. (it’d have been nice to have the 140- I rode mine with a longer fork occasionally- but I’d miss the 100mm more) Even looked right.

The nice thing about the Soul is, it works perfectly well at any fork length, it just brings out different aspects of the bike. A change of fork length, and maybe stem and tyres and it could feel really different.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’d echo what @Northwind says, I have. BFe with 120/150 adjustable forks and the bike rides well either way and it has the same geometry as the Soul

iainc

Have you got straight or tapered headtube ? That may limit choices if buying new. I think soul is good at 120 and have Reba solo air on mine.

Ben_mw

The perfect Soul fork was the old 100-130mm air Revelation imo. Damping a bit dated- but pretty light, sensibly stiff, and covered all the lengths where the Soul works best.

– He’s right you know! Apart from the stiffness part – I twisted the lowers on mine. I’ve replaced them with some DT jobbies at 120mm and they seem pretty good, the Revs spent most of their life at 120 anyway.

moonboy
    Free Member

Is your soul 1/8 or tapered?

Finding 1/8 120mm rebas with 15mm is ruddy difficult. Or at least it was a couple of months ago when I was looking!

molgrips
    Free Member

Ahem.. my Revs are 110-140mm u-turn and straight 1 1/8 steerer, with a 15mm Maxle… 🙂

molesworth

My Soul is tapered (now there’s a sentence that probably doesn’t get written much outside of bad 5th form poetry).

I’ll pop down to my local purveyor of Bike Finery and see what they can do on a Revelation. Do RS make a 9mm QR version – or will I need a new hub?

chestrockwell

I’d go for DT’s over Reba/Rev/Fox 32’s.

JohnnyPanic

Got some 150 Air U Turn Revs on mine. Run them between 120 & 140.
    They’rrrre Grrrreat.

Dickyboy

Just be careful with the new solo air RS forks as the travel can’t be changed so easily as the old dual air ones – or rather it costs money to change the travel 🙁 Are the stanchions worn on yours? if not & they are dual air, I’d be getting them serviced & extended to 120mm myself

mintimperial

I’ve run 110-140 Fox Talas on mine for years, usually at 110 which is good for pretty much everything, but it’s nice to have the 140 for the bigger downs. If I replaced the forks or whatever I’d probably go for 120mm fixed for a change, but I don’t think it’d make all that much difference to me to be honest.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Fork choice for Soul (26" content)’ is closed to new replies.