• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • GCSE photography, which camera for a beginner?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Laddo is starting GCSE photography in September, we’ve been “advised” he will need an SLR camera (I’m sure some will be available via the school but he might not meet the requirements). He has got an interest and takes some decent shots with his phone but I’m not wanting to spunk big money on something that may just become an extra GCSE which is then left behind at A-level.

yoshimi

You could do worse than my ad in the classifieds 🙂

Canon 60D

sarawak
    Free Member

SLR usually means film and not digital. All courses like to teach film as s grounding, and they also learn how to develop. You are into a different world than digital photography.

Have a look at Talk Photography forum. They have a thriving film section in there and you will get some decent answers.

thehustler
    Free Member

Daughters ex was doing photography at college, they used a basic 10mil pixel Canon (cant remember the model), so dont think it has to be anything too advanced. I think its more something o learn obout settings on. Offeren ol lend him some of my old semi auto and true manual camerers so he could really learn…..

Drac

I bought my eldest a Canon 750D it’s a wonderful camera simple to use with good results. eBay has loads of them usually at a good price.

DSLR is fine for GCSE and A level.

sarawak
    Free Member

Yoshimi, who I recognise from TP, is selling a digital camera. A good camera, but best to check that the requirement is either film or digital, or you will have wasted your money!!!

kerley
    Free Member

If film then something like a Canon OM10 that can be had for £50 including lens. If digital then something like a Canon 20d for under £100 including lens. I have had both and the only thing stopping them taking good photos is me.

wrightyson
    Free Member

So my op is testament to my knowledge. I thought an SLR was an SLR then it was either film or digital, I’m almost certain it will be digital because they do Photoshop I believe as part of the course? Will ask though.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

I did mine with a Canon T90.
    Pentax K1000 is the standard, cheaper to by and better is the MX.
    Something basic and will do the job with plenty of cheap lenses is the Zenit range something like the E or EM can be picked up with the brilliant Helios 44-2 for £20.
    I can have a look at home and see what I got if you like? I know I have a Fed3 rangefinder which works and would do the job for A-Level, I did some work with a Leica Rangefinder when I did mine. I think I also have a Zenit EM, not sure how good it is though.

Cheers, Steve

sarawak
    Free Member

So my op is testament to my knowledge. I thought an SLR was an SLR then it was either film or digital, I’m almost certain it will be digital because they do Photoshop I believe as part of the course? Will ask though

SLR is film.
    DSLR is digital.

There’s a world of difference!!!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As above, something 2nd hand with lots of buttons* will be more useful than newer and entry level.

*Not nessecerily buttons, but independantly aperture and shutter speed dials are nicer than having one dial that needs to be switched.

Film is slightly different in that the last film cameras were more like DSLR in the way all the control was on the camera body, earlier cameras had the aperture controls on the lease. Which tends to mean there’s always compatibility issues.

My 2p, Pentax for both, the old film lenses are all physically compatible with new dslr bodies and the workaround to get the aperture set is just one button press on the back of the camera.

kerley
    Free Member

Would imagine DSLR if using photoshop unless they develop the negatives and then scan them in and them mess around with them on photoshop. It is also 2019 and makes a lot more sense to use a DSLR and can learn the same things except maybe patience

colournoise

GCSE Photography teacher here.

Depends on school and context. We would never insist on a DSLR as the minimum kit for GCSE. It would be fairly straightforward to get the best grades at GCSE with a pretty low spec phone camera (the assessment criteria do not state any technical requirements – it’s all about developing an idea and being creative).

We use pretty simple bridge cameras and have ensured we have enough for every student in a group to have one each to use in lessons. We tell parents it’s cool if they want to get students their own camera but it’s not essential and we don’t really advise on a minimum spec. The caveat is we are in a pretty deprived area and so could never realistically expect parents to buy even a used DSLR for their kid.

And re the comment above about film being the preferred process. I don’t know of any schools round here still teaching darkroom photography – too costly to set up and run, and with current safeguarding legislation actually getting students to be able to use a darkroom is a nightmare (can’t lock yourself in with just one or two students, and can’t leave them to locked in there on their own).

40mpg

Check with the college which brand they support as they will have various lenses, flashes etc to borrow and play with.

I’d be very surprised if they stipulate film as the college’s can’t support the cost of film, chemicals, darkroom etc. And parents often can’t either!

My daughter started with a Nikon d3100 bought second hand with kit lense. She’s just finishing a degree in photojournalism and documentary photography, works freelance on sports (mostly cycling ) events, charity events, music and occasional weddings. And has collected £1000s of kit!

So a basic DSLR with full manual settings, MacBook (!) And subscription to Lightroom & Photoshop should empty your wallet sufficiently 🙄

P-Jay
    Free Member

So my op is testament to my knowledge. I thought an SLR was an SLR then it was either film or digital, I’m almost certain it will be digital because they do Photoshop I believe as part of the course? Will ask though

SLR is film.
    DSLR is digital.

There’s a world of difference!!!

Really?

SLR refers to the way the imagine is reflected from the lens to the viewfinder rather than a stand alone viewfinder.

Digital or film, they’re both SLRs to me, isn’t your comment the same as say it’s Camera, or DCamera?

Drac

I’m almost certain it will be digital because they do Photoshop I believe as part of the course? Will ask though.

It is digital as colournose points out.

AlexSimon

I’ve used a Canon 60D like the one for sale up the thread semi-professionally* for the last 4 years. I can recommend it if the budget can stretch. Otherwise any DSLR from 5 or so years ago will be a good budget option.

As others have mentioned, if they have a recommendation from school – take it. Lenses can be borrowed if you get the same system and they make up 80% of the cost of photography.

* I do it for money, but only sporadically.

brassneck

Thanks for that colournoise, same situation here – or at least we think, he hasn’t had his options confirmed yet.

Drac

Lenses can be borrowed if you get the same system and they make up 80% of the cost of photography

Good tip our school uses Nikon they lend the cameras out but were limited, as I have a canon and a few lenses it made sense for me to get her a canon.

flyingmonkeycorps

Definitely ask the school. As well as the benefit of potentially borrowing lenses, flashes etc there’s also a good chance that the teacher will know the system well; so if the school uses Nikon, they’ll know (some) Nikon cameras inside out, but might not have a clue about the menu system or button layout on a Canon or Sony. Could save some annoying technical problems so your lad can concentrate on the actual photography.

TiRed

Film SLR – get a Nikon FM, fully manual so complete exposure control to learn on. Will also take digital lenses. Don’t assume that just because they use Photoshop it’s all digital, they might scan in the negatives, for example for post processing.

100inch
    Free Member

I learnt on a Pentax MX. Absolutely brilliant camera. Everything completely manual, it only had a battery for the built in light meter. Took some of my best pictures on that.

These days I use a DSLR for convenience (Pentax K200d) but apart from the digital storage, it’s a step backwards in control and usability.

xora

Jokingly I would say get one with a phone app and never have to deal with crazy Canon/Nikon menu systems 😀

But realistically a kid these days is probably going to have no issues finding the same features on a different make of camera as the terms are the same just the menu layouts are different. I have Canons and my other half has Nikons. So basically whatever you can afford is good to go!

butcher

Depends how serious his interest is. You can pick up old dSLRs dirt cheap now. Get yourself a 350d for £44 https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/ (I still use one occasionally)

The newer models have improved a fair bit, with good low light performance, ability to shoot video, and the size of output images. But these old cameras are more than capable of print quality stuff.

convert

Colornoise has a good answer there. We are just about to start an A level photography course and as a known photography geek on staff I have been asked by the folks running it next year if I’d mind doing a talk or two. I’ve looked at the spec and been really surprised by the lack of technical content. You have to get your head around the fact that it is an Art sub subject or pathway more than anything else. I came away from reading it a bit disillusioned really – you have always had the option to use photography within the fine art pathway so I’m struggling to see the point. In fact bizarrely in the A level photography syllabus it says you have to be able to draw – something missing from the fine art syllabus!

Our place is just putting it on for political reasons as it attracts students that would have gone elsewhere if we didn’t. Our Art staff running it would rather not have the distraction and just keep on putting everyone through the fine art course as they think it sets people up better for an Art foundation (pretty much the default path between school and whatever is next).

pondo

I don’t particularly think you need to be too worried what camera it is if you’re looking for a DSLR – I’d probably stick with Nikon (FTW :D) or Canon, but as long as it’s in decent nick*, it will do everything you need it to do. Dug out my 12 year old D40 for a trip to the Mach Loop today, only problem with the old tech is I forgot to bring an old school USB cable to download the pics! It might not have funky software, it might only be 6mbp (doesn’t matter, it’s all about the glass 🙂 ), but you can use it to learn about all aspects of shootin’ in the same way as the latest Carlos Fandango Uber-Shooter.

* You want to drop on someone who bought to dabble a few years ago and couldn’t be arsed.

mafiafish
    Free Member

If the camera is being chosen on being a good platform to learn specifics about photography, rather than absolute image quality, then I’d recommend getting an APSC system with full manual control (Full frame lenses are expensive, so probably not worth going that far).

Having a larger sensor means that you get a better impression of the effects of focal length and aperture on depth of field, image sharpness aberrations etc. than something like a micro 4/3s or quality compact.

Sony’s a6000 range are excellent as are pretty much all of Nikon’s offerings. Canon has some hits and some misses though, so check that you’re getting good value if you go that way.

DP Review have an excellent summary of the merits of different cameras at a number of price points to make it easy to compare.

Going with mirrorless bodies opens up a lot of fun with old, cheap manual lenses, so something to be considered if they want to get creative.

matt_outandabout

My 2p, Pentax for both, the old film lenses are all physically compatible with new dslr bodies and the workaround to get the aperture set is just one button press on the back of the camera.

This.

I’ve a 50mm Pentax manual lens that is amazing image quality, cost £30 on eBay and taught me lots about manual settings. All Pentax lenses ever fit any Pentax. Cheap lenses ahoy.
    Pentax are also usually dust and sometimes water sealed.
    They also typically are a few quid cheaper than the fashionable Canon and Nikon.

supernova

I can’t tell you anything about GCSE Photography, but I can tell you that if your son is interested in photography with anything more than a passing interest then a camera that shoots Raw files and has manual controls is the way to go. Any camera from the last 10 years with those functions will do – a DSLR that’s a couple of generations old can be had for a fraction of what they cost when new and will still produce great images.
    The biggest part of my job is processing images in software. That’s one of the most important skills so access to a computer with Lightroom or similar and Photoshop is pretty fundamental.

pondo

My 12 year old D40 shoots RAW (if you want). 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘GCSE photography, which camera for a beginner?’ is closed to new replies.