Gauging interest in potential sale of my Pikes

Home Forum Bike Forum Gauging interest in potential sale of my Pikes

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Gauging interest in potential sale of my Pikes
  • matlockmeat

I recently purchased a set of dual position air pikes in 160mm travel.

These were to finish a bike off properly as I had been running some Fox Van R 180mm temporarily.

However after making the swap the pikes don’t quite live up to the big hit capability of the plush coil sprung 180mm fox forks so thinking of going back to those.

I’m more about the downs really so willing to sacrifice a bit of climbing ability to go back to the bigger forks.

The Pikes have done 2 rides, virtually brand new and are fully boxed with spare seal kit and shock pump.
    Cost me a small fortune.

Are people interested in this kind of nearly new stuff? Just done want to make a massive loss but more than willing to do someone a good deal. If there is interest I’ll get them up in the for sale section with pics.

Premier Icon timmys
    Subscriber

Are people interested in this kind of nearly new stuff?

Of course. Whether you’ll get what you want for them is highly doubtful though!

Although Pikes are “the” fork at the mo, I think the dual positions, presumably in white, are probably the least popular model. My guess would be you at best you might be looking at the cheapest price available on line minus 20%? As ever though, things are worth whatever people are prepared to pay and to find that out an auction site is really the best way.

robhughes

As a guide.These can be had for £534 off zee germans.
    I reckon about £400 depending on how much you’ve cut off the steerer.

johnners

Why not just advertise them for a price you’d be willing to accept, and see if you get any interest?

That’d answer your query and might sell your forks too!

chunkymonkey

^^^^^^^^^^ as above, just advertise them on the classifieds??

Jamie

^^^^^^^^^^ as above, just advertise them on the classifieds??

I imagine the OP will do just that.

This is merely to raise awareness of the upcoming sale 8)

federalski

Some you aren’t sure of, this though, is obvious…

iolo

Are the new Pikes really that good. I had some Pike Teams (2006 I think) and they were bloody awful. I was quite surprised when they kept the name.

matlockmeat

It’s been useful to me asking this.
    To put then up on the classifieds I would strip the forks off the bike and get photos up.

I don’t want to go to this hassle if there isn’t a market or I won’t get no where near what I want.
    I only thought about selling them yesterday having been out for a quick ride.

Someone mentioned £400. I wouldn’t let them go for that as I paid nearly double that.
    I’d rather keep them in that case.

Thanks for the input guys.

£530 from the Germans / £600 from the Irish. Wherever you paid twice £400 from, you paid too much. Anyone wanting a set will pay £500>£600 from a shop, not your second hand ones.

Simple as unfortunately. £400 would be a good price…

soobalias

im happy to take them off your hands for £200 posted

matlockmeat

Buying from Germany isn’t quite the same as buying from UK though is it.

Does no one buy from local bike shops anymore? They’ll be out of business soon if everyone keeps buying from bike discount.de

I did look at bike discount when I bought mine but I was too concerned about buying from abroad and wanted piece of mind so purchased from my LBS.

The forks retail for £850 and I got 10% off which is pretty good by LBS standards.

I have just checked chain reaction and very surprised to see them at £593.99 (I forgot I mention they are 650b)
    That is an amazing price so I’ll be keeping mine.

When I purchased these a couple of months ago chain reaction were selling at £710.

mtbtom

Are the new Pikes really that good.

Yes.

Although I guess it depends on your starting point. I can see how to the OP, they’re a step down from coil Fox VANS. On the other hand, as an upgrade from a set of Fox 32’s, with the dive-prone CTD air spring then they’re a significant upgrade. Much more supportive in the corners, more supple in the small stuff, less bob-prone. I’m not sure how they’ve done it, must be the new damping cartridge.

z1ppy

Yadda yadda yadda… we heard it all before, don’t start…
    Of course ppl buy from the their LBS, great LBS’s, loyalty, lack of mechanical skills, lack the time to do it, or simply happy not get their hands dirty are amongst the reason to do so. You asking at the wrong place though for sympathy, if you ‘here’ you have a some interest in talking bike rubbish with complete strangers & are aware of internet bargains.

Yes some ppl will get the hands burnt and other times they get massive bargains.
    The only thing I’d say is, if you not going to use them, stuffing them in a corner and watching them devalue completely is not the greatest of economic strategy’s. Make a decision, either use em or flog em & take what cash you can now.

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Wow, I am not surprised your lbs gave you 10% off that price. I think you may of,paid well and true lily over the odds for them. Without looking very hard you could find the for £700 and much less if you are happy to wait two days whilst bikediscount.de post them too you.

I’m all for supporting my lbs and I’m happy to pay more for their service and a bit of banter but paying just under £800 for something you could buy significantly less else where is reason enough to either look for another lbs or buy online!

Hob Nob

You didn’t really pay over the odds for them, it’s more of a reflection of how much of a shambles the bike industry is.

Probably the fork of the moment in its market, and there are multiple shops able to retail them at prices that are less than trade + VAT.

You would get more than £400 for them though, I got £400 for some reasonably used RC’s. You just have to ignore the chances 🙂

LoCo

Think my 6 ride old 29er dp rct3 pikes went for £450ish a couple of months ago may have been a bit more

chip

Loco did you sell them with any warrantee.

matlockmeat

I knew how much they were at bike discount and chain reaction before I purchased them so I’m not looking for sympathy.

It looks like they have dropped in price massively just after I bought them.

At the time of purchasing CRC were £710 so I don’t feel I over paid at £55 more from a LBS.
    I’ll may put the forks on the classifieds at £500 and see how I go.

After all they are as new, 10 weeks old and have the remaining warranty.

Jamie

On a side-note, when did forks get so expensive?

£800?

Get a bike for that.

legend

and have the remaining warranty.

no they don’t. The warranty isn’t transferable, any buyer would just have to hope for a goodwill gesture if they had a problem.

Superficial

The problem is that CRC probably wasn’t the benchmark to use. They’re only cheap if you want 6 year old stuff in either XXXL or XXS at 60% of RRP.

People may well want to support their local shops, which is great. What they probably won’t want to do is to support YOU to support your local shop by paying over the odds.

matlockmeat

legend – Member
    and have the remaining warranty.
    no they don’t. The warranty isn’t transferable, any buyer would just have to hope for a goodwill gesture if they had a problem.

Technically your correct but if I supply the receipt I can’t see a problem.

I bought a 2nd hand frame and had it warrantied with receipt. The shop didn’t know I hadn’t bought the frame. How could they I had the proof of purchase. This was in fact through the same shop I purchased the forks through.

hora

OP you can get 55 CR’s for 400 new which are a way better fork. You’d get about 300. No way you paid 800.

OP you can get 55 CR’s for 400 new which are a way better fork.

Way better at what? Northern mincing as long as it’s neither raining nor dark? 😛

hora

Only ugly northerners ride in the dark. Like Ogres shuffling noisily through the dark landscape.

matlockmeat

hora – Member
    OP you can get 55 CR’s for 400 new which are a way better fork. You’d get about 300. No way you paid 800.
    POSTED 13 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

No I paid £764.99

matlockmeat

Superficial – Member
    The problem is that CRC probably wasn’t the benchmark to use. They’re only cheap if you want 6 year old stuff in either XXXL or XXS at 60% of RRP.
    People may well want to support their local shops, which is great. What they probably won’t want to do is to support YOU to support your local shop by paying over the odds.

I always thought CRC was extremely cheap for stuff.
    I’m pretty sure they were the cheapest in the UK for the Pikes I wanted when I bought them at the very start of January.

matlockmeat

hora – Member
    POSTED 32 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Don’t they weigh the same as a Sherman tank though?

hora
    julzm

Just bought 650b pikes fro the Irish….. £620. Did get a price from LBS beforehand and asked them to order but they couldn’t get them for sometime so had to go CRC. Price from LBS was £680 fitted.
    I’d say £400 would be fair price second hand considering steerer tube has been cut.

matlockmeat

hora – Member
    2300gm?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

Not as bad as I thought.

Julzm – when you say the Irish who are you referring to?

hora

I honestly dont know why people rate Rockshox. Its ok but damping is waaay better on Fox or Mazz.

I honestly dont know why people rate Rockshox. Its ok but damping is waaay better on Fox or Mazz.

“Generalisation is wrong” shocker…

hora

Thats ok. Mbr will be along to market you murdered-out rigid carbon forks to you soon.

butterbean

Is that little gem from your extensive testing of the new Pike Vs. the competition?

LoCo

Hora, have you been drinking? 😉

hora

Butterbean I bow to your cabinent full of world cup trophies as proof that you must be right.

Loco Italian red and Peroni red 8)

butterbean

Who needs to be right, we just quote ‘hora fact’ round here?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Gauging interest in potential sale of my Pikes’ is closed to new replies.