Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gatwick Airport – good or chaotic?
  • susepic

Hi folks, just wondering if anyone has departed from Gatwick airport in the last few days and whether EasyJet drop-off and security are a PITA?
    Mid afternoon flight coming up so wondering how much time to leave – flight still listed a going

TIA

kilo

Went through a few weeks back someone else paid for easyJet priority for bag drop off and security both were painless.

spekkie
    Free Member

I’ve been go through Gatwick one or twice every six weeks since January and not one had a problem. Easy Jet and Vueling

one_bad_mofo

I was there last Friday. The whole airport was the busiest I’ve ever seen it. There were massive queues at all the food outlets and I’ve never seen that before.

I flew with Vueling and while the flight out was painless the return flight was terrible. It was overbooked and it wasn’t until a few minutes before the delayed take-off that we knew we’d be on the plane. Despite paying for allocated seating with additional legroom we got standard seats and we’re still waiting for a missing checked bag to turn up!

susepic

Thanks all,

We’re flying tomorrow. I think we’ll head over a bit earlier to give us time to get through and fed without getting too stressed….

Assuming our flight is still going…..

CHeers

doris5000

Not departures, but I arrived at Gatwick on Weds at 6.30pm and it was surprisingly calm and efficient! I was bracing for the worst.

I flew out of Bristol about 10 days earlier, having heard some terrible stories, but that was fine too. I think it might be because we’re still just about in term time at the moment?

5lab

south terminal on a sunday 2 weeks ago had a 90 minute queue for security. Lots of people being turned away from the security entrance because by the time the queue had pushed through their gates were ‘closed’

fossy

Bit of a lottery from any airport. I hear good and bad, so be prepared.

fossy

Oh and make sure you’ve some covid tests for when you get sick on your return so you can have a week off sick. Lot’s of folk I know have come back from flights with covid.

doris5000

Oh and make sure you’ve some covid tests for when you get sick on your return so you can have a week off sick. Lot’s of folk I know have come back from flights with covid.

Ha, yes. We were the only people wearing masks on our flights. MrsDoris caught COVID on the way out. Completely **** the holiday. Sigh.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Fingers crossed it’s all running smoothly, currently sat at Bedford railway station waiting for the Gatwick train! Flying out this evening to Montpelier for some Ventoux action!

Can’t say it’s been the easiest so far. Flights from Luton cancelled and the all sorts of hassle after I switched flights.
    Currently got 4 bikes on my ticket! Not sure how easyJet screwed that up, but at least it’s better than no bikes going out and 2 coming back!!
    Will try and post an update tonight if it helps

susepic

Thanks for the feedback folks. Looks like we’ll be leaving early to get to Gatwick then……and getting the team masked up for the airport and flight i think…..

@sturdylad
    – good luck with the flights and queues today! Updates on those AND Ventoux welcome – driving out to Ventoux in September….

riddoch

Flew Wednesday morning on a 8am flight and it was 20 minutes to get through security from joing the queue.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Update on Gatwick so far…

Arrived an hour ahead of check in time in anticipation of much queuing was told I couldn’t check in until my alloted time, and was pointed at the coffee shops. Came back on time, got my oversized baggage tag, straight to drop off and headed for security.

Was in the departure lounge less than 30 mins from check in!

Trying not to think of how my bike bag is being handled now!

A few queues for the food vendors but nothing worse than the last time I flew (2019)

susepic

@sturdylad – sounds good. Hoping tomorrow is also as smooth!
    Just think about the glass of pastis when you get in and it’ll smooth off the rough edges of the journey

sturdylad
    Free Member

@susepic how was your trip through the airport?

Managed one ascent of the Ventoux so far and have decided on a “flat” day today as temps are super hot!

susepic

@sturdylad Gatwick North was pretty good on Sat, bagdrop busy but moving quick, maybe 30 mins, and same for security. All the restaurants were busy w queues but Pret was an easy solution.
    Not as awful as feared, but glad wasn’t August rush

Well done on Ventoux! Which ascent did you do, and how was it? Trying others later in the week?

sturdylad
    Free Member

We rode from Bedoin to Malaucene and climbed from there.
    A few dark moments but overall not too bad.
    The descent into Sault was great once past Chalet Reynard.
    We ended up doing 30+km from Sault back to Bedoin which was really tough.
    Intend to do the other two climbs at some point but today is deffo not a Ventoux day!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.