Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Gatorskins
  • mrmo
    Free Member

As i needed some tyres in a hurry a while back i grabbed a pair of gatorskins. I might be being paranoid but they just don’t feel very stable. At times the back of the bike almost feels like it is slipping down the camber of the road at times? The release compound is long gone, or at least should be after c1000miles. Just seemed worse in the warmth yesterday.

Has anyone else noticed this?

trailwagger
    Free Member

hateful things, but I doubt any tyre would be so bad that it feels like its slipping down the camber. Are you sure there is nothing else going on? Loose axle maybe?

jimdubleyou

At least they make riding on roads more “interesting”.

For even more death-defying thrills, try a Hardshell variant. It’s like riding on barely rubberised glass. You definitely won’t get a puncture though.

stevehine

I ride with Gatorskins on my road bike; They feel totally fine to me as long as they have enough air in. They can feel a bit vague if they’re soft. What pressure are you running ?

jonba
    Free Member

I hated them as well. Lacked grip and felt rigid.

The 4 seasons were much better. Puncture strip but GP4000 rubber. Only issue with that was they cut up faster but I usually wore them out before it was a problem.

chakaping
    Free Member

+1 horrible tyres

Have a look at the Grand Prix GT instead. Same rubber as the 4000 but with more protection in the carcass. Great year-round tyres.

13thfloormonk

Interested but confused by the Grand Prix GT, I thought the 4Seasons was effectively a puncture proofed GP4000 but with a slightly modified ‘cold weather’ compound (e.g. stickier in colder wetter conditions). Does that imply the GT would be just as puncture proof but slightly less good in winter conditions?

Need to consider replacements for my 4Seasons before the Autumn I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

Never ridden the 4 Season myself, but I’ve used the GT as a winter tyre in Lancs (wet & cold) and it was spot-on.

Looks like the 4 Season is more of a wet-specific tyre, while the GT is an all-rounder?

mrmo
    Free Member

Not just me then, time to have a think about what else to try and also having a think about sizing up.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

They’ve had an awful reputation for years, I’ve yet to have the “pleasure” of experiencing them first hand.

My road bike came with 25mm Grand Sport Races, no issues with them, bought a 28mm pair later.

GP4000S IIs were noticeably better rolling, but wear relatively quick and a bit vulnerable, especially in the sidewalls. One died last summer (sidewall tear), one on rear now squaring off.

4Seasons are a bit draggier than GP4000S IIs, but they have a bit more puncture protection and are great in the winter. Plenty of wear left after two autumn-spring periods, often on the commuter.

Set of GP5000 in the spares box waiting to fit, part of me wants to fit them this week while on annual leave along with the Supersonic tubes, but part of me feels I’ll be wasting them while I’m cautiously recovering from mild COVID-19.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Gatorskins’ is closed to new replies.