Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin with 1:50k OS mapping – help & advice
  • dickie
    Free Member

I’ve had my Garmin 800 with 1:50k OS mapping since 2012 & its been faultless but tonight it died mid ride. Its on charge but not displaying % charge.
    The screen surround came off a while ago & the twist lock lugs on the back have almost completely broken off so its had some use & abuse over the years.

So whats my nearest 2020 version to replace it with?
    I usually just have speed, time, av speed, distance displayed & switch between that screen & the OS map screen following routes created & downloaded from Strava.
    So I only require basic features with the maps.
    Can I put the sim card in another new Garmin model?

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Had a similar issue last year and found a good deal on an 820 so I did that however I was extremely dismayed to find I couldn’t put is mapping on it.

That said I hope someone will prove me wrong in this thread somewhere…

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Interestingly enough I just found my thread from last year about it….

Ordnance survey maps on edge 820

Bez

The 810, 1000 and 1030 all take MicroSD cards; of those only the 1030 is a current model, but it’s very expensive. The 810 is basically the same unit as your old 800, but with Bluetooth, and you can get them secondhand for bargain prices.

nuke

What about the etrex range? Ive a etrex 20 with full os 1:50k on the installed sim

dickie
    Free Member

Thanks Bez – mentioned it to my wife & she passed me her old 810. Sim cards in & maps are visible but when I connect to my laptop the laptop can not see the 810 plugged in, so I can’t transfer routes to the 810.
    She bought another Garmin 820 Explore for the reason above.

Any idea how to get the PC to see the 810 via the USB lead?

escrs
    Free Member

I used to have an Edge 800, after it died i tried the 820 and it was buggy as hell and the slightly smaller screen wasn’t very good

Sold it on and bought a Garmin Edge Explore for around £220, its basically a simplified version of the flagship 1030 model

It cant take a memory card but does have 16GB of internal storage and comes pre loaded with maps for the country you bought it in

DC Rainmaker is the man to listen to when it comes to Garmins, here is his review of the Edge Explore

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/07/garmin-edge-explore-review.html

As for 1:50k OS mapping Ive been using Talky Toaster’s 1:50K look and feel map which costs £12

Single TT 1:50K Look n Feel Map For Self Install (GPS ONLY)

Talky Toaster’s maps have been great and Ive not noticed any real differences between OS mapping and Talky Toaster’s version

hunta

I just bought a Garmin 830 expecting to be able to use the OS 1:50k I have on an SD card from my Dakota 20. Silly me. Why would I do that when I could follow Garmin’s suggestion and spend $200 all over again?

OSM from here on.

Bez

Any idea how to get the PC to see the 810 via the USB lead?

Is it definitely a data cable? Some USB cables turn out to be power-only.

Other than that, as with any Garmin thing: keep trying and then at some point it might decide to pull its finger out and work 🙂

Anyway, it’s an 810, just shove the SD card in, no?

dickie
    Free Member

Yes, SD cards in – I can load & down load via a card reader so I’m up & running again.

Thanks for the input.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin with 1:50k OS mapping – help & advice’ is closed to new replies.