Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin problem
  • danbillam
    Free Member

I’ve got a garmin 810 and straight away ran openmtbmaps like the previous edge touring. Both units have hadr random times midride where it would just switch off. And then take ages to find a signal again. The last time it wouldn’t turn on again at all. I’ve tried different releases of the map but still the same. II’ve since done a factory reset and deleted the map but only rode twice so unsure if cured the problem.
    At first Iwas sure it was the maps as in certain places it would do it on the same spot each ride. But the last one happened somewhere I’ve rode alot in the past without a problem.
    Anyone had similar?

johnnystorm

Yep, but with Garmin Os maps. Lost ride data a couple of times. Last outing it recorded the right mileage but put a couple of straight-lines on Strava. I’ve done a factory reset but to no avail. Next step is to see if there is a firmware update.

danbillam
    Free Member

that’s interesting I’m sorta glad it isn’t just using the free maps. hope it gets sorted sharpish. really annoying.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Mine has done that since day one. Normally when on a long ride using navigation. It also no longer connects with garmin connect on the app and now won’t sync with the computer. This is all after garmin kindly updates its software. I don’t trust the piece of crap as far as I could throw it. My advice if everything else is working and you only have the occasional crash then don’t update your software. Turn off all auto updates on your phone app and keep running the versions of all the garmin software you currently have. These are well known problems and garmin don’t seem to be in any hurry to do anything about it.

danbillam
    Free Member

it hasn’t happened when navigating at all just when recording the ride. and no noticeable comparison of how far into a ride. sometimes 20mins and other over a few hours. the things great when not turning itself off then I have to say hang on lads this piece of shit needs turning back on again.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Yeah mine has done exactly that. It also goes off then freezes until the battery dies a few hours later. Or freezes and comes back on but won’t find signal. I have said on many threads I have no idea how garmin get away with producing such appalling software. Even the basics don’t work from one update to another.

Dibbs
    Free Member
    boblo
    Free Member

What firmware version are you using? My 810 is running 4.30 pretty reliably. It switched off once mid ride for no apparent reason and once when it was drowned. Other than that, it’s been completely reliable over a couple of thousand miles. Update the firmware as that’s what Garmin will ask you to do as a first step anyway.

alibongo001

I had a problem with mine a while ago- not switching off, but losing parts of rides and other random stuff

My issue was the number of rides on the memory – deleted most of them off and the unit is fine now – worth considering?

LadyGresley
    Free Member

I’ve had my Edge 800 for about 4 or 5 years, used practically daily in all weathers in the wet North West, and it works perfectly well. As said above, it will only store so many rides, so do delete them occasionally – although I can’t remember the last time I did that!

whitestone
    Free Member

If the internal storage is nearly full then the unit will struggle as it needs some space to create the temporary files while you are out riding. Always worth having a tidy up once a month.

If you want you can just copy the .fit files from the activities folder to somewhere on your main computer as a backup.

gren
    Free Member

Wife’s 810 used to freeze every couple of hours or so and then take a while to re-find the satellites.

Solution was to downgrade the firmware to 3.40. It’s not put a foot wrong for a few hundred miles now over the last 4 months or so.

Have heard the new firmware is better but not dared try it as this all started happening after an ‘upgrade’. Garmin’s firmware testing is infamously crap.

This is using the OS maps that you buy separately.

boblo
    Free Member

I ride with people who have 800’s and 810’s. They’re not the same (the Edges). The 800’s are recognised as more reliable than the 810’s and seem to suffer fewer glitches, hangs etc.

Garmin’s stuff always seems to be half arsed. I’ve had a 705 since they first came out and it has loads of idiosyncrasies as does the 810. Little things that if you’d bought a telly or microwave or whatever and suffered them, you’d take it back. We don’t seem to so they keep dishing it up…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin problem’ is closed to new replies.