Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garmin GPS watches
  • munkster
    Free Member

I’m considering getting one of these since I’m finding I’m not really using the navigation bits of the stem-mounted Garmin for the majority of my riding.

Anyone able to comment on whether they are generally all the same or are any more bike-specific than others? Get the impression the watches are aimed more at running than cycling…

TIA for any ideas and wisdom.

Jamie
    Free Member

If using for running and bike, get the multisport versions, 310XT or the newer 910XT. Some of the other more runner orientated watches, like the 405, have cycling functions, but the larger screens on the XT range make it better for me on the bike.

I have the 310XT and it’s excellent. Wear it on my wrist when running and wrapped on the bars when on the road bike.

munkster
    Free Member

Me? Run? Are you quite mad??? 😉

No, just cycling here. I was more thinking of the Forerunner 405CX to be honest, those 310XT and 910XT ones look a bit too “21st century wrist communicator” for my liking…

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a Forerunner 110 with an HRM strap.

Partly because I bough it mainly for training for another sport, which I needed something watch based.

I use it on the bike too, normally wearing it, or sometime just chuck in in the rucksack because it’s bloody annoying on my wrist on rougher stuff.

If it was just for riding, i’d probably just go with a 200.

Jamie
    Free Member

No, just cycling here. I was more thinking of the Forerunner 405CX to be honest, those 310XT and 910XT ones look a bit too “21st century wrist communicator” for my liking…

If you’re just cycling, just get a Garmin 200 or 500.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

just get the 200, ive had the 800 and never used the mapping, have the 910xt now but i run,

do you need hrm data? if so then you need the 500

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=160&compareProduct=36728&compareProduct=90675

munkster
    Free Member

Thanks for all the stem-mounted suggestions but as per the OP I want a *watch*… 😉

Already have a stem-mounted Garmin (Dakota 20) which I would keep for when I do need navigation however from what I can tell it is not so great on the HR front (and I don’t have a HR strap) and would like to record that along with calories etc on a convenient watch-shaped device.

Jamie
    Free Member

Thanks for all the stem-mounted suggestions but as per the OP I want a *watch*…

Well you can’t have a watch! 😀

If the XT range is too bulky, then just get a 410, or if you are not bothered about latest version a 405. Be warned, the bezel operation is a bit marmite.

munkster
    Free Member

Well you can’t have a watch!

I was beginning to get that impression… 😉

Re: the 405/410 – can you download a gpx of where you’ve been from it after a ride?

Jamie
    Free Member

Yup. It syncs with via ANT+ to a little USB dongle you plug in your computer. Once it has done that you can view, and export as TCX or GPX or send directly to device to use as a course, on Garmin Connect.

…for example.

If you are logged into your account you will have the options in the GC toolbar:

KonaTC
    munkster
    Free Member

you could just buy a wrist strap for you stem mounted gps

You’ve clearly never seen a Dakota 20 in the flesh! I’d barely be able to lift my hand onto the bars if it were on my wrist 😯

And, as previously mentioned, not sure the Dakota is that good at training facilities/HR stuff. Hence why, as per the OP, I’m after a watch 😉

clubber
    Free Member

It’s a shame that new Garmin watch doesn’t look more like the Garmin Swim rather than a cheap 80s Casio.

takisawa2

My mates got one, & to me it looks like a Ben10 watch. They should make them look a bit more grown up.

cchris2lou

i have the forerunner 305 , mixed use between run and bike .

very good so far .

blades2000
    Free Member

I’ve got a Forerunner 110 which I then added the premium soft strap heart rate monitor to. I use it for running and cycling. It tracks routes well and seems good at recording my heart rate.
    Since I mainly use it for running I have it set up on average pace mode rather than speed but it will do that. The only problem I find with it is that it only gives you average pace for the lap you are on rather than a current speed so you can’t look down to find out what speed you are currently riding at.
    Once the ride or run is finished you can download the information to which ever online site of you prefer (Garmin, Strava, Endomondo etc).
    If you want to review before you buy this site is pretty good. DCrainmaker

Suggsey
    Free Member

My son in law is in the army and he showed me his garmin watch but for the life of me I cannot remember the model of it and he is away for a few weeks cheating on a course 😆
    The army issue them but you can pick them up for about £120 if that helps narrow down the model.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garmin GPS watches’ is closed to new replies.