Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Garmin FR 45 vs 235 vs Vivoactive 3
  • joebristol

Sorry for another Garmin thread but this one seems different to the others going.

I’m looking for a new Garmin for my birthday – I had an older forerunner which I replaced as you had to physically plug it into the computer to upload to Strava (via Connect) and it took ages to find a satellite when you switched it on.

Replaced it with a Lezyne Micro GPS which has much better connectivity via Bluetooth and in theory (because I’ve never used it) has some kind of turn by turn navigation. However it doesn’t seem very accurate for strava segment vs Garmin and it also takes ages to find a satellite signal.

So I think I’m down to a Garmin 45 / 45s / 235 / Vivoactive 3. All of them have glonas which I understand should speed up finding a signal at the start, and all do wrist based heart rate. I suspect thre touch screen nature of the Vivo 3 could be a bit annoying but I haven’t tried any of them out.

Max budget is £150.

Any thoughts on which option is better and why?

Edit – will mostly be used for mtb and cycle commuting – but the occasional run too. Hence wrist rather than bike mounted. If I was more into road riding I think I’d buy the edge 520plus that’s currently on offer at CRC/Wiggle. I don’t use / own power meters etc, nor do I anticipate buying into that sort of thing – all my riding is for fun / general fitness.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Of those I’ve only had vivoactive 3, which I have atm.

I don’t use Glonass, just standard GPS, picks up a signal pretty much as soon as I walk out the front door. The touch screen can be locked to avoid false activation, so that shouldn’t be a worry, I have mine set that it locks automatically when I’m doing an activity.

I think they’re way better value than a dedicated cycle computer, as you can do so much more with them. Don’t be fooled though, the HR is only good for resting HR measurement, I use a chest strap for actual exercise as it’s way more accurate.

One very good aspect of the Vivoactive 3 is the accuracy of the elevation, I use it as a maker when hill walking, it’s never been more than 5 metres out, brilliant on an unfamiliar hill in the clag.

I looked at the 45 but it didn’t do floors climbed, which I kinda like tbh, not a biggie, but still.

There is a huge array of Garmins now, it’s no easy picking tbh. Best idea would be to write down what you defo want, and find a comparison chart.

scotroutes

I bought a 45 for running but also now use it for most of my riding too. Simple, reliable, small. Can’t fault it in any way. Syncs to Connect on my phone after every run/ride and then straight to Strava, usually seconds later.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

IIRC Black friday starts on amazon this friday? worth keeping an eye out as they usually do good Garmin deals.

hazzatrazza
    Free Member

I used to have a forerunner 235 and traded it in for the Vivoactive 3, which is now 2 years old and still faultless!! I would pick the Vivo over the 235 any day of the week. It does everything from recording rides (outdoor and indoor), any sport you can think of as well as reps in the gym (although thats a bit more finicky). It doesnt feel the most sturdy in build or strap but its survived many, many tumbles in the tweed valley in its lifetime with nothing more than a few scratches on the bezel. The vivoactive 4 has been released so i can imagine the 3 will be discounted in Black Friday deals.

Ben_H

Perfectly happy with my Vivoactive 3, but since it was my first sports watch I don’t have anything to compare it to!

I find it underestimates vertical ascent, but otherwise it’s quite a good allround toy.

bruneep

happy with my 235 mostly biking. Had an issue with the bluetooth when 1st got it but Garmin support resolved that very quickly. Since then it’s been faultless.

joebristol

Interesting spread of views, thanks. Since my post I’ve also found a few reviews of the 45 vs 245 and the 245 sounds brilliant – but over budget unless something comes up in the Black Friday deal.

I’m bad for reading about awesome functionality and getting something more expensive but then using absolutely zero of the extra features!

Generally I track my rides / distance with it and not too much else. I like the idea of adding in some heart rate data as I don’t have anything at the moment. I highly doubt I’d ever bother with a proper heart rate cheat strap so this is as good as it’s going to get.

Sounds like any of the options listed above would be a good one.

oikeith

All of them have glonas which I understand should speed up finding a signal at the start

I have glonass on my 925XT, it has the opposite effect, takes longer than standalone GPS to find signal as its connecting to a secondary set of dishes in the sky. I think it also reduces battery life, not an issue unless you are doing an ultra marathon though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think it also reduces battery life, not an issue unless you are doing an ultra marathon though.

The very reason I stopped using it, to extend battery life on long days in the hills, and ultras.

joebristol

Interesting – maybe glonas isn’t a positive to worry about having then. I think the 45 is currently in the lead unless a 245 goes on sale on Friday to a level sufficiently cheaply to stretch for.

Drac

The vivoactive 4 has been released so i can imagine the 3 will be discounted in Black Friday deals.

It’s £150 on Amazon just now.

joebristol

Yeah the Vivo 3 / 45 / 235 are all available for around £140-£150 so price wise there’s nothing in it (until you get to the 245 which either £10 BC membership I can get for £209 from CRC).

Drac

I’m very tempted to upgrade my Vivoactive HR now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drac, John Lewis have VA3 for 150 as well, I like them as their returns and customer service is great. If they have one near you, obvs.

Drac

Not near me but only a short trip away, cheers.

Ooooh! Free delivery online.

joebristol

A couple of places also have the 735xt almost in budget although I understand thy is is an older model that is : has been recently discontinued….not sure how well it compares.

Fancying the 245 if I can get one in a sale on Friday…..

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trail rat has the 735 and will give an honest view if he sees this, or you PM him.

winston
    Free Member

Vivo 3 is 135 from halfords with bc discount.

I have one and I can second whoever said they are more robust than they look. I though I’d destroy mine really quickly but have had it for 6 months and it doesn’t have scratch.

Unfortunately the touch screen is completely useless during any kind of activity where its either raining or you sweat or you are kayaking suping etc. Which is why I bought it…I should have know garmin couldn’t do touch screens.

Get something with buttons unless you just want a Fitbit…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s solid. I also fitted a screen protector, get an on Amazon for about 4 quid for 3, they’re really good.

Not had same issue with touch screen tbh. Most of the time I have it locked anyway, as 4 data fields is enough for me, whether cycling, running or up a munro.

Drac

should have know garmin couldn’t do touch screens.

Touchscreens don’t work very well when wet no matter who makes them.

joebristol

There are so many Garmin models – just found the Instinct which looks really cool – although maybe a bit light on features vs the 245.

I think I’m going to rule the Vivoactive out as I have to narrow down the list somehow. I’m thinking the touchscreen is going to be annoying…..

CraigW
    Free Member

I have the Instinct and recently got a Forerunner 245 Music. Most of the time, I just use them to record a track while running/cycling, and uploading to Strava etc. So either of them can do this just fine.

I use the Instinct as an everyday watch. It is more rugged style, so less worried about it getting bashed.
    The 245 is a bit slimmer and lighter, nicer for running. Also the MP3 player built in is very handy, better than carrying a separate device.

Probably not much difference for most features. The Instinct may be better for outdoor/navigation, ie following a route. But the 245 is better for running/training data.

The 245 sometimes seems slower to get the GPS position when I switch it on. But that could be because I use it less frequently. Or maybe it is the new, lower power GPS chipset? It claims much better battery life anyway.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’m thinking the touchscreen is going to be annoying…..

Wayyyy better than scrolling through menus with buttons! 😁

scotroutes

Buttons are fine if there are few options/features but can become a pain otherwise.

winston
    Free Member

Not true nobeer. I have a 520 and I absolutely love it – it’s one of my favourite bits of cycling kit ever. Using the buttons is precise and I can do it without even looking at the screen if need be.

And yes Drac, I know all touchscreens are dodgy in the wet which is all the more reason for not having them on a tiny little sweaty disc on your wrist! Vivo 3 is definitely much worse in damp conditions than my previous Sony Smartwatch 3 as well.

joebristol

Instinct now in pole position. I don’t think I’m even vaguely in the serious run or bike training camp but perhaps the basic navigation and compass might be useful. Also like that the Instinct is built a bit more robust as I’m good at crashing / dropping stuff!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’ll agree to disagree Winston, I was a bit meh with my 520! 😁

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Garmin FR 45 vs 235 vs Vivoactive 3’ is closed to new replies.