Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Garmin Forerunner 305, shagged…again….need to replace
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs S’s Garmin Forerunner 305 has failed again. Its the documented power contacts inside corroding problem. Its the second unit, the first being replaced out of warranty for £90ish a couple of years ago.

Rather than throw another £90 at an obsolete replacement, I think it’s time to find a current model replacement.

So anyone have an recommendations from the Garmin range with the following features a must:

Compatible with the Garmin footpod
    Wrist worn
    Pace (minutes per mile/miles per hour)
    Climb per mile/total climb
    Compatible with Garmin Training Centre
    and Garmin Heart Rate chest strap.

Mrs S uses hers for running mainly, but will also be used on the bike.

Ta

Stoner
    Free Member

bump, anyone?

PS free to good home, 305 USB cradle and I can take the straps off the watch if anyone wants some spares too.

Jamie
    Free Member

310XT is the only option really. Fortunatly, it’s a really nice bit of kit only occasionally crippled by Garmin’s software devs ineptitude.

The successor to the 310XT, the 910XT, is released soonish which is some touchscreen business. May see the 310XT prices come down as a result though.

310XT review

910XT review

Stoner
    Free Member

cheers Jamie – Id stopped being lazy and trawled the garmin site myself and concur, the 310 seems the right one.

Bloody expensive for a watch with a gps chip in it though 🙁

Since Mrs S is going big into Tri over the next two years I suppose it’s worth it…
    Think Id want an extended warranty though. Certainly buying it retail through a bricks and mortar shop though as if it fails in less than 2 years I will be screeching sale of goods act at somebody.

Jamie
    Free Member

One thing to note, if climb/ascent data is important. The 910XT comes with a barometric altimeter.

In relation to the 310XT, there seems to be no known issues like the 305 had. The initial run did have a raised glass screen which was broke to cracking if dropped, but that has since been recessed a couple of mm.

wwaswas

this maybe an occasion when the dixons type ‘extended’ warranty would be a good buy, as you say? Would cover accidental damage etc too.

Stoner
    Free Member

gps climb ascent is accurate enough for her purposes.

Will double check on user reviews of the 310, but hopefully more reliability built/designed.

Opened the 305 last night and the power contacts have seriously corroded so much that theyve broken off. I could have a go at soldering some wires across instead. Stupid design.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have had a 310XT for a year-ish now. Use for running and cycling. The only probs I have had is the strap broke once, probably from me strapping the thing to the handlebars all the time, but Garmin sent out a new complete strap, inc pins and a little tool, in less than a week.

phil.w
    Free Member

A question Stoner. What data does she get from the footpod that a GPS watch cant give without it? or is she using it indoors?

The only thing I can think of is cadence but is that really needed for running?

Stoner
    Free Member

foot pod has been useful for her moving to pose method of running and managing her cadence (target 88/89 spm). Also she uses it if she ever does sprint reps in the gym (not often, she normally runs outside).

Stoner
    Free Member

jamie – how does it strap to the bars, just like you would a wrist or is there a mount?

phil.w
    Free Member

ok. if she didn’t really need it my suggestion was going to be that she could pick up a bike specific and a running specific Garmin for the about the same cost of the 310.

Stoner
    Free Member

ah I see what youre thinking.

She’d need the forerunner 201 minimum which is £230. The 110 is not compatible with the footpod, only the HRM band.

then another £130 for the edge 200.

Jamie
    Free Member

@Stoner

I just strap it to the bars like using the existing strap. Had to tape up a section of the bar to thicken it up a bit.

There is a quick release kit you can buy, but I found it made a bulky unit even bulkier when strapped to my wrist..

Stoner
    Free Member

ta.

richP

Have you tried to fix it? The 305 is pretty easy to open up.

phil.w
    Free Member

Exactly.

Well nearly as I was thinking Edge 500 which I found new at £150. To get the price the same(ish) as the 310 it does rely on the 110 as it’s £100 and as you say that wouldn’t work with the foot pod.

Anyway, that’s just the option I went for as I found the 310 & 205 too bulky as a watch.

Stoner
    Free Member

rich – yep, the contacts that bridge across the two halves of the case are so corroded theyve snapped off, not able to clean and bend them. I might have a go at soldering some connecting wires between the contacts but i need to get some very fine insulated wire to do that.

richP

I think that I’ve had some success using solder to join a broken contact pin in the past. I also sealed up the holes on the bottom of mine to reduce the amount of sweat ingress..

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

i hopefully getting a garmin 210 soon, il let you know how it performs, got it for £140 quid without HRM, so not bad

nicko74

310XT is the only option really

er… Garmin 210, 405, 405CX, 410, 610, 910XT spring to mind.

Price increases as the numbers get bigger, obviously (cause they’re bigger!!), but the 405 may have been superseded and hence available cheapish. Also, check out US retailers, as the chargers are compatible with different voltages.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I have an Edge 205 what I found at MM, had problem with it shutting down, Garmin is replace FoC with braynd new one! 😀

Not only that, but Bullheart gave me a spare mount for it. What a win.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Forerunner 305, shagged…again….need to replace’ is closed to new replies.