Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Garmin Fenix – battery life?
  • grtdkad

My Fenix 5+ is just approaching two years old and started to experience a tangible change in battery life. Lasting 2-4 days between charges rather than 5-8, depending on what I have been up to.

I assume that this is normal, and TBH I am pretty impressed with the battery capability.
    When it comes to replacement what do folks do, do i need an authorised Garmin dealer?
    I have a local independent watch shop which I’m inclined to give the business to.

Flaperon

You can’t* replace the battery, so don’t a local watch shop try to disassemble it.

Garmin are actually pretty good with their premium stuff even if it’s out of the notional warranty. I’d give them a call first.

* Well, you can. But it’s not the kind of battery a local watch shop would replace.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve had almost the same thing happen with my 735xt. Battery life is pretty rubbish now after a few years. I’ve been looking up to see if it’s self-repairable (I really don’t think it is…) and the few repair services I contacted all said they couldn’t get hold of batteries. I might give Garmon a go, but I have no idea of the price for a battery replacement using them – has anybody else done it?

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Call Garmin they have an exchange charge although not sure how cheap, I inquired about 6 months ago for a Damaged Bezel 5X and was offered exchange at around £174.

grtdkad

Thanks.
    Currently updating garmin software and will see if that helps at all.

whatgoesup

My fenix 5 (not the +) did something similar last year – roughly halved battery life all of a sudden. It was a Garmin software update that was sorted a couple of weeks later with the next update. Worth searching t’internet to see if others are having similar issues with the 5X now.

garlando

I replaced the battery in my fenix 2 about 18 months ago with no problems. I guess maybe this isn’t possible with newer ones.

grtdkad

…just as an update.
    I’d been logging battery discharge rate since the beginning of the month in order to provide Garmin boffs with some information (or the basis of a complaint).
    For the first two weeks the battery was losing 45% every 24hrs : quicker if I had used as an activity tracker.
    Then since 12th September it’s losing ~10% every 24hrs so more or less back to normal.
    I have not changed my use or any of the apps on the watch, just weird.
    I assume Garmin have had issues and then resolved – any clues out there?

jrdubya

My 5+ has done the same lately. I think it’s downloading updates via wifi while I’m in the house. It is also back to lasting a few days again now even with activities.

Would be nice if Garmin let us know! I’m tempted to switch it off and just download updates via USB in future.

Aidy
    Free Member

Would be nice if Garmin let us know! I’m tempted to switch it off and just download updates via USB in future.

My 5 plus has always told me when it’s had an update.

Last 5 plus update was in August: https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=14317

I don’t think they update over wifi, mine gets updates over bluetooth via my phone.

DickBarton

My 6 gets updates via wifi, haven’t worked out how to get them done via bluetooth and phone. Also gets the map updates by plugging in to PC and running Garmin Express to check for updates. the map updates are rather large, which is why I think it only done when plugged in to the computer.

jrdubya

My maps did the big (7GB?) update via wifi.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Fenix – battery life?’ is closed to new replies.