Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • Garmin Edge 820 touchscreen in the rain?????? Shocking!!!!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’ve got a Edge 820 which is a cracking little device and is everything I want in a gps computer

Used in a lot of rain yesterday and by Christ it was next to useless, the rain drops continuously scrolling the screen, changing the data fields etc and basically unusable at all

Even when it had stopped raining it still seemed to do it even after clearing the screen

Never had this before on any of my Edge (800/810/1000)

Luckily I knew the route I was doing yesterday but had I been following a loop I didn’t know I would have been ansolutly goosed

Now I’ve got the latest update which includes a touchscreen sensitivity setting but even on low it made sod all dofffrnce?

Any ideas? Any one else have this?

houndlegs
    Free Member

Don’t know if it would help, but maybe a screen protector??

zilog6128

Lock the screen.

howarthp

I had an 800 since they came out and never had a single issue with it. I upgraded to the 820 primarily for the Bluetooth connectivity. I’ve had to reset it a couple of times and I got precisely what you experienced right at the end of my ride today – random scrolling between screens

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I have a screen protector on it, thought maybe that’s the issue?

How do you lock the screen then? Mid ride? And if it’s going all haywire how do I unlock it should I need a different screen if it’s just scrolling through randomness automatically?

Amazingly annoying and this was only drizzle rain not even that heavy

DickBarton

This isn’t going to help but I mentioned this as a potential issue with touchscreen as I didn’t think of would work with gloves or in rain…can you cover it somehow?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Erm do any touchscreens work in the rain?

goog
    Free Member

Try it without the screen protector. Ive not had any problems with mine in the rain and I don’t use protection.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cynical – yep as I mentioned above none of my others have ever done this before. It was like the unit was at a rave going mental

Very annoying, not sure I want take the protector off with all the grit we get here but if I have to I will I guess

andyl
    Free Member

Erm do any touchscreens work in the rain?

Resistive ones (older tech) yes.

Capacitive – have this problem as water conducts.

Ewan
    Free Member

I just avoid riding in the rain… 😉

leffeboy

I was going to suggest the firmware upgrade but looks like you have done that already. Might have to go withlocking the screen and using the remote 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

How do you lock the screen mid ride? I tried this via the power button yesterday but wouldn’t allow me as it was midride?

Assume once it’s locked it doesn’t move at all from the screen I lock it on?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Hold the power button until you get a list of options including lock the screen. It’s not a single press, you have to hold

Superficial
    Free Member

And if it’s going all haywire how do I unlock it should I need a different screen if it’s just scrolling through randomness automatically?

You can set it to automatically scroll through pages on a timer. I find it a bit annoying TBH but I can see how it might work for you (with the screen locked).

I always thought resistive screens were rubbish old technology. But it seems like they might be genuinely better than capacitive ones, in this very specific circumstance.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Cheers for the information folks will try the holding down power button and locking it next time, if that fails then the scrolling thing should work better than just randomly scrolling via rain drops lol

But crap tbh, it wasn’t even that heavy rain either so god knows how bad it’s going to get in proper winter useage

Dibbs
    Free Member

You can lock the screen during an activity using the Drop Down Menu, just drag down (or up, I can’t remember).
    You can still swipe left and right with the screen locked if you’re using the latest firmware (4.10) but you may need to turn the sensitivity down to Medium or Low in heavy rain as the rain on the screen can effectively turn on Autoscroll.
    I’ve been using an Edge Remote for a couple of years with my 810 but it works much better with my 820.

crazy-legs

Take the screen protector off, they’re designed to be used as they are, with no extra layers.

About the only thing that ISN’T wrong with my Edge Touring is that the screen is brilliant; works in any weather, with or without gloves.

The rest of it is a bug-ridden heap of shit though!

molgrips
    Free Member

Crazy legs I made a thread on how to make þe edge touring usable, did you read it? You may have, I can’t remember 🙂

Dibbs
    Free Member

Take the screen protector off, they’re designed to be used as they are, with no extra layers.

A screen protector on the 820 makes little or no difference due to the fact it uses a capacitive screen, the Edge Touring uses a resistive screen that relies on screen pressure to operate.

mrblobby
    Free Member

That remote is quite tempting as the touch screen is a bit rubbish with gloves on. Where can you mount it?

Dibbs
    Free Member

Where can you mount it?

[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/91165082/2016_10_30%203921%20DSCN2055.JPG[/img]
    or

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks, was wondering if you could mount it on the hoods. Ordered, shall give it a go.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does the remote stop the touchscreen from working or something?? cant see how having a remote will stop the screen scrolling/randomness even with a remote if It doesn’t disable the touchscreen?

bit naff really, I’m gonna try the lock screen thing first off, and take off the screen protector

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

does the remote stop the touchscreen from working or something?? cant see how having a remote will stop the screen scrolling/randomness even with a remote if It doesn’t disable the touchscreen?

bit naff really, I’m gonna try the lock screen thing first off, and take off the screen protector

13thfloormonk

Reminds me of my last camping trip, so many midgies landing on my phone screen that I got locked out for too many pin code attempts! 👿

gray

I guess if rain is mis-activating the touchscreen then you lock the screen, and then use the remote to change screens as you wish. I haven’t used my 820 in the rain yet. I don’t really want to pay an extra chunk of money for something to fix a flaw like that. I wish that Garmin would just include the physical buttons (a la 520) on the 820. I’m sure that they could make most of the interface work adequately via a couple of extra buttons, but at least the very basic functionality of the remote could be implemented.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I was thinking just to lock the screen and use the remote to scroll. Be nice to be able to scroll without moving out of position. Find the swiping not very consistent with gloves too, doesn’t seem as good as the 810. Still prefer the 820 though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

as far as I’m aware mrblobby (unless someone can correct me) even in lockscreen mode you can still swipe page to page just the same as if it wasn’t locked

only difference being is you cant when locked accidentally change the data fields etc etc?

so in terms on random scrolling in the rain the remote will make no difference at all (unless it totally stops the touch screen working)

ricky1
    Free Member

You can also change the sensitivity of the touch screen,if you swipe down from the top it will give you options of changing all the settings from gps settings and lighting also and the said touch screen sensitivity,whilst riding press power button and keep your finger on it it takes a whip for the locked screen option to come up,probably a fail safe issue to stop it doing it all the time,good luck.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I’ve not really had any problem with it in the rain, but then I’ve not been out in any downpours. Do have trouble swiping though so a remote should help with that.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers ricky, ive got it on the lowest setting for sensitivity, and that made no difference, guess the lockout is the only viable option, though I cant see how its going to stop it randomly swiping pages ever 3 seconds

Rubber_Buccaneer

Mine won’t swipe through screens when the screen is locked, I just tried it.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Mine won’t swipe through screens when the screen is locked, I just tried it

You need the latest firmware (4.10).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Just got the remote. Rather like it. Just under the right hood feels like the best place for it. Shall give it a go tonight.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member

Mine won’t swipe through screens when the screen is locked, I just tried it

You need the latest firmware (4.10).

balls! I need to revert back a firmware then, if I could lock it in one screen then It wouldn’t matter, as it wont scroll at all then! what the hell was the point of updating it so you can lock the screen but still swipe? how exactly is that locking the screen?????? bizarre!

Dibbs
    Free Member

Just got the remote. Rather like it.

When I first heard about the Remote I though it was a stupid idea, “how hard is it to swipe the screen”, but after using it and never having to take my hands off the bars, I really miss it when I don’t have.

what the hell was the point of updating it so you can lock the screen but still swipe? how exactly is that locking the screen

People were having problems with water/sweat on the screen causing the device to go into the page setup menu’s.
    Locking the screen now prevents this from happening, but it can still start autoscrolling under certain circumstances, the solution to this is to turn the screen sensitivity down to Medium or Low.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not a fix exactly, but try wrapping it in clingfilm.

That’s what I do to my 800 to stop the altimeter packing in when it’s rainy.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

dibbs- without sounding rude (and I know I’m a culprit of not reading the posts on every thread) but the low setting has been used in the rain, and it was next to useless, it isn’t a solution for the rain, it doesn’t work and randomly goes all over the shop even in low mode

also for the first time, the elevation was totally out too, by some 2000 feet due to the weather

may have to try the clingfilm thing chakaping, as I cant see there is a solution other than not have it mounted in the rain

zilog6128

It’s annoying, locking the touchscreen would be a perfect solution with the addition of the remote (which I’ll be ordering today!) if they hadn’t changed the functionality to still allow scrolling while locked. Don’t know whether there’s a post on the Garmin support forum (or if it’s worth starting one) to suggest changing it back (or at least having an option to disable scrolling).

EDIT: yep, there’s a long thread on 4.10 touch sensitivity issues… https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?363095-4-10-touch-sensitivity
    gonna skim through it quickly now!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 820 touchscreen in the rain?????? Shocking!!!!’ is closed to new replies.