Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Garmin edge 530 elevation gone to pot update?
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Has anyone’s edge 530 updated in the last few weeks and since elevation has been absolutely shocking?

Having to manually adjust it every ride at the moment, frustrating as hell doesn’t matter if it’s clear or foggy doesn’t seem to matter at all

I don’t mind it being out by ~100ft for some riding but when it’s out by almost a 1000ft every ride something clearly gone wrong

Is there any way of resetting the altimeter etc?

roverpig

Mine is new, but I think I applied all the updates before the ride in Sunday. The elevation was pretty much spot on for that ride. Strava/Garmin had predicted around 3,000′ of climb for the ride and that is pretty much what it recorded.

In fact, I’ve just checked. The 530 recorded 2,999′ and if I use the elevation correction in Strava that changes to 2,985′ So, close enough.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thanks roverpig appreciate the info especially after the update

Few q’s then, was it foggy/rain or clear weather??

Also are you running any form of silicone cover on it?

Pauly

Mine has been playing up too. Under recorded my ride vs my partners 520 by 1000ft.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

After the update Pauly?

roverpig

I guess I can’t say for sure that it has the update, but I can try to check the software version.

I’m using the silicone cover but that just goes around the sides of the unit and doesn’t cover the front or back.

It was a lovely day on Sunday. Sunny on the way out and a bit cloudy o the way back, but no fog or rain.

tomnavman
    Free Member

Mine is fine unless it is wet (if its a wet mtb, water coming up from the ground can also cause issues) If its wet, it under-reads by a long way.

Always worth turning the unit on a few minutes before you start the ride, so it can auto calibrate.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Thanks for the responses folks

Well it’s been misty and a bit of fog but nothing major at all, certainly no worse than the last 4 months

And as a test today i stopped the unit and started it again at the bottom of a climb in clear skies (even turned unit off first left it a minute or so) and it was still way out, recorded something like 230ft climb out of what I know is circa 800ft so still a fair way off

Very odd I’ve had it on occasions where’ it’s lashed it down and struggled to be accurate but not every ride where it’s not actually raining at all and there is minimal fog/mist

roverpig

I’m on software version 7.10 by the way.

I see there are two small holes on the back of the unit. I guess this is where the pressure reading happens for the barometer.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Yeh same it updated maybe two weeks ago to that version since then it’s failed every single ride, and thinking about it I’ve been out on some pure blue sky days too with hindrance of bad weather in the slightest

I think on the 530 those two holes are a speaker I believe the barometer is behind the usb cover port although I’ve blown and cleaned out all around it too

roverpig

Ah right, I did wonder how those two holes could function as an input for a barometer. Especially if you have it on an out front mount with air rushing past them. Makes more sense for the barometer to be at the back. I did wonder why there was a little nick out of the silicone cover at that point. I thought it was damaged in transit or something 😮

What happens to ClimbPro if the barometer isn’t working. Does that just work on GPS location? Also what about ascent remaining for a course. Is that subtracting what it thinks you’ve done from the original estimate or is it just using your GPS location to estimate how much climbing is left?

I must admit, I’d be pretty miffed if mine stopped working. Total ascent and descent are numbers that I use quite a bit as most of my rides are loops so it’s handy to know if I’m above or below my start/finish point.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure it’s below the usb area but don’t quote me a 100% on that either way on mine it’s never obstructed as I don’t use any covers etc

As for climbpro I’m not sure as I’ve not been following any routes I need to follow to use that (although I do love that feature)

And yep defo miffed I like to see how much I’ve done given im at the moment freestyling riding I like to know when I’ve hit a certain amount so can head home, didn’t think it would annoy me but it really is

Will see how it goes and if it carries on I’ll ring garmin and see if they can advise anything else to try

I’ve done a hard reset but it still leaves me on the latest software so not sure how to revert back to the old one

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Garmin edge 530 elevation gone to pot update?’ is closed to new replies.