• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by cp.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Garmin Edge 500 and Nexus 7
  • climbingkev
    Free Member

Is it possible to plot routes on a Nexus 7 (via Garmin Connect) and then send them to an Edge 500? Thinking of getting a Nexus 7 and the ability to do this would be pretty awesome. So, if anyone’s had success with this or equally knows why it won’t work I’d be grateful of your knowledge.

Cheers all,

Kev

Haze

I’d imagine it would be a pain in the arse to plot a route on any touch screen device.

Would be interested to hear if (and how) anyone has successfully connected their Garmin to a Nexus though, would save having to boot up the work laptop for uploads.

fbk
    Free Member

Unfortunately not. You can’t “send” stuff as the Edge 500 has no wifi/bluetooth functionality, and neither has a MicroSD slot so you couldn’t transfer them that way.

Edit, actually, you my be able to plug the Edge directly into the nexus 7 using a USB “On The Go” lead, but I’m not sure how easy it would be.

Edit again. In fact, does the Edge 500 actually have mapping – I thought it was only the 800 (or older 700) series that did that?

Haze

You would need a cable connection to browse to the right directory to drop the gpx/tcr file.

Could micro USB to micro USB work?

climbingkev
    Free Member

Micro(Mini on the 500?) USB to Micro USB was my thinking. Figured a slight zoom in and the default to road setting on the route plotter would suffice, not like a mouse and the “cross hairs” granted, but workable. I’ve found the Edge 500 fine for navigating on road, even more track like roads in the Peak. But, I wouldn’t bother on the MTB, it’s just a bread crumb trail, but does alert you when you deviate from a pre-loaded route pretty quick, i.e. 10yds or so.

Cheers for the responses so far!

Cougar

Edit, actually, you my be able to plug the Edge directly into the nexus 7 using a USB “On The Go” lead, but I’m not sure how easy it would be.

You could do this physically, whether it’d work logically is another matter.

Theoretically, the OTG cable should be able to mount the Edge as an external storage device, then you could use the Nexus Media Importer (or root it) to manually transfer the .gpx across. I might have a punt with my OH’s Edge 800 later (assuming I can find it).

There’s a Garmin Connect app, but that looks to be specifically for wireless GPS devices (510 and 810) – I highly doubt that it’d work over OTG.

jonba
    Free Member

Not managed it with mine. Can’t even get it to talk so I can upload to strava

cp

Garmin connect doesnt work well at all with touch devices.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Garmin Edge 500 and Nexus 7’ is closed to new replies.