Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Garmin altitude
  • lovewookie

My edge 530 is great at many things, but it seems that over the year or so I’ve had it, it’s altitude reporting is a bit wonky.

various searches suggest this has been a problem for them, especially in changeable weather, and to clean the port (done that) and a manual calibration, and they help, or don’t help, depending on where you read.

even on a relatively flat loop i can have a difference of 200ft at the start/finish. normally 200ft higher.

pretty sure it was OK when I first got it. it’s had a couple of updates since, maybe that’s knocked it off?

any solutions that work? or just accept that it’s a bit rubbish.

tthew

It’s barometric, so if the weather changes while you’re out, altitude will be affected.

DickBarton

Yeah, if you really need that you probably need to calibrate just before you use it.

jeffl

I just use the altitude adjustment in Strava.

lovewookie

I just use the altitude adjustment in Strava.

does it do that automatically, or only if you have a subscription? I have an account, but don’t really use it other than something to log my rides

ransos
    Free Member

does it do that automatically, or only if you have a subscription? I have an account, but don’t really use it other than something to log my rides

Depends on the device. I have an Edge Explore which doesn’t have a barometric altimeter, so the altitude gain is always miles off. Strava seems to correct it (automatically and for free) pretty well – e.g. close to values given on routes I’ve plotted on RWGPS or values given for audax routes.

However, if you have a device listed as having an altimeter, Strava will use your recorded value. You have the option of manually correcting it from the three dots on the sidebar.

lovewookie

cheers, just done this for a few of my rides. some are a few 00 out, some double!

will correct from now.

ta

StirlingCrispin

Barometric reporting is very temperature dependent.

Let the device equalise outside before use. Turn off at cafes, leave outside etc

My old Cateye device could be reliable but needed nurturing.

scotroutes

Strava seems to correct it (automatically and for free) pretty well – e.g. close to values given on routes I’ve plotted on RWGPS or values given for audax routes.

That’s because Strava “corrects” it to the same altitude data as RWGPS etc.

ahsat

Interesting summary here of how Strava calculates elevation these days (which is different to before) https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919447-Elevation-for-Your-Activity#databases so the results will be variable.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Garmin altitude’ is closed to new replies.