Home Forums Bike Forum Garmin 530 not picking up all strava sections

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Garmin 530 not picking up all strava sections
  • renton
    Free Member

Hi all,

My Garmin 530 doesn’t seem to be picking up all the strava sections on a ride compared to a friends wahoo computer.

Also sometimes my Garmin watch will pick up more sections than the 530 over the same ride?

Is there a setting I have missed?

Thanks

Steve

crazy-legs

There are so many thousands of overlapping segments I don’t think it can possibly pick them all up every time. I have a regular loop I do locally and I quite often don’t get the same segments on every ride.

There’s a couple of “signature” local hills on my route and they’ve got the usual “bottom to top” but then hundreds of other segments like:
    the official HC segment
    club champs HC
    the steep bit in the middle
    gate to gate
    gate to junction
    and God only knows how much other nonsense that people have created just so they can be KOM on a few metres of road. All overlapping, some of them within a few metres of others. It never picks them all up every ride.

13thfloormonk

Do you mean live segments? If so I’m jealous it picks up any at all, mine can’t even pick up decent sized obvious segments on the road 🙄

DickBarton

Mine seems to pick up very few…most all have descents in them and Strava doesn’t flag these (due to a legal challenge by the family of someone who got killed racing after a KOM), as Strava don’t flag them, they don’t get flagged on the Garmin.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I was just looking at my starred segments earlier, after getting an email from Strava, after using that Premium code about a month ago.

My Lezyne Super Pro, like all other Lezyne I’m aware of, can look out for 100 starred segments.

I need to sit down and go through my starred list, because some are variants based on a similar climb start point, but differing end points. Lezyne will only do live segments for the first starting point it thinks you pass.

pothead
    Free Member

The strava website (on a pc, not the app on a phone/tablet) will have a load of ‘hidden segments’ on every ride along with the option to unhide them and remove others that do show up on the app

thepurist

Also there will be discrepancies between the recorded tracks on two devices you’re carrying at the same time. That can mean that strava misses your entry into a segment or thinks you left half way along it or similar.

As a consequence that means that the timing of your entry or exit from a segment can vary between the devices, so your strava time can be plus or minus a few seconds for each.

The website used to have a “why am I not seeing this segment” feature that showed your track over the original segment track, which of course has its own GPS issues.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.