Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gardeners, what’s happening to my apple tree
  • nixie

Found this damage on my apple tree earlier in the week. First thought was squirrel damage but I’m not convinced. Any ideas what is happening to the tree?

Kahurangi

Something deer height having a chomp? Kids playing with it?

nixie

No deer in the city centre, we have foxes but they are more into our chickens! Definitely not the children.

timba
    Free Member

Tiny screen. Apple canker?

jca

nive beaver…

mrsheen
    Free Member

Probably magpies or jackdaws searching for food.

Bruce

Mrs Bruce suggested Fire Blight after a search through the RHS book of tree problems. Possibly with a bit of help by a garden visitor.

Houns

Squirrels

“ How to Repair Tree Bark Damage by Squirrels

If squirrels only ate the bark on one side of your tree’s branches (less than ¼ of the circumference), the branch will survive and the wound will eventually heal.

With more than ¼ eaten, though, the odds of survival decrease. There’s less hope if the branch is chewed all the way around.

Prune branches with a lot of damage and leave any with less damage. Don’t cover wounds because research has shown that this delays healing and can even encourage disease.“

Bruce

Squirrels might have helped but if you look at the more intact branches the bark is lifting.

nixie

Probably magpies or jackdaws

We do have at least 2 magpies and a couple of what I thought were crows frequently in the garden.

It does look like the bark is lifting when you get up close. It is quite wide spread, an area nearly two meters long. Wasn’t there last summer or earlier in the winter.

sparksmcguff

Doesn’t look like it’s being eaten.
    Is it on a majority of the branches? Or just a few?
    I’d be tempted to take prune off the branches with it on providing there will still be a good amount of tree left.

andy4d

It might be the hard frost we had. I read on gardening site about people saying the bark was peeling off tree trunks and a few replies said it was the hard frost.

CountZero

No leaves on mine yet, but a couple of days ago I was checking it out and there were bloody ants all over it, presumably looking for aphids! I’ve got a pump-up sprayer with home-made aphid spray, so despite it still only being in March, I’m spraying the tree already.
    It was covered with aphids last year. 🤬

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.