Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Garage Wi-Fi Extenders?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m in the process of getting my garage sorted out and need to look at a way of getting Wi-Fi to it.

I know nothing about these things so could anyone let me know what the best way to do it is?

The garage is detatched and about 15m away from the house. It’s got mains power running to it.

I guess the options are range extenders or powerline things but don’t know which would be best.

paul_m

It will depend on what you want in the garage.  Do you want a single device connected (and is that wired or wireless), or do you want to connect multiple devices?

If it’s a single device then power line might work, you need to connect both ends to the same mains circuit for the best performance, and they tend to be a bit hit and miss.  I would get them from somewhere you can return them if they don’t work, or borrow some and try them.

You can get Wifi Extenders that pick up and then repeat the wireless signal, how good that would be might depend on where the current Wifi point is in the house, and using that full-time may well drop the wireless performance in the rest of your house (as it might connect at a low speed and pull the rest of your connections down to that speed)

If you want to connect multiple wireless devices in the garage then you will need another access point in the garage you can get these as wireline, Wifi extenders or that just connect via ethernet.

The best option would be to run an Ethernet cable to the garage.

PM me if you want to take the conversation further

iamtheresurrection

I Powerline from the house into an old BT HomeHub4 ran as a switch and additional wireless network (as opposed to extended), speeds are perfectly good enough.

stumpy01

If it’s a single device then power line might work, you need to connect both ends to the same mains circuit for the best performance, and they tend to be a bit hit and miss.  I would get them from somewhere you can return them if they don’t work, or borrow some and try them.

I think you can get powerline adaptors that has one end transmitting wi-fi – so you could hook up multiple devices over a powerline.

I used powerline adaptors in my garage for a while. They seemed to work well & on a 30Mb Plusnet broadband connection, I was getting 28Mb in the garage; and that is with a second consumer unit in the garage, which can apparently cause problems.

A bloke at work has recently bought some powerline adaptors for using in his shed at the end of a fairly long garden and was telling me last week how pleased he is with them – took minutes to set-up & so far been rock-solid in terms of connection stability.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Powerlines are probably your best bet, but as suggested they can be a bit hit and miss (random disconnects, etc).  Solwise does a range more suited to “dirty mains” for this reason.

You can get Powerlines with multiple RJ45 network ports and built-in wifi so you don’t need to worry about plugging in another router – something like this:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5585575

jimdubleyou

If you want to throw a lot of money at it, buy a mesh wifi system.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

You can set up an old router as a another WiFi access point if you connect it via lan Cable to your existing router

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve just been looking at the powerlines adaptors but I’m not sure they’d work for me.

The garage power is supplied via an armoured cable from the consumer unit in the house. Would this still work with powerline adaptors as it’s not on the same circuit as the house plugs?

footflaps

The garage power is supplied via an armoured cable from the consumer unit in the house. Would this still work with powerline adaptors as it’s not on the same circuit as the house plugs?

They’ll still be some conduction through the Consumer unit, so it should work, esp if the cable run is only 15m.

nickjb
    Free Member

Mine is through a Powerline on a separate circuit on the consumer unit. It works fine. I’ve got one with WiFi and an Ethernet socket. Security camera on the Ethernet then WiFi for general usage, music, youtube vids, etc. All works fine. I do get the occasional drop out but not enough to be a problem or feel the need to install something better.

fossy

TP Link powerline extender. 2 x RJ45 connections in the garage and WIFI – I’ve given it a different WIFI network name though as this stops kit switching between the two too much.

phil5556

If you can’t run a cable (which will be best) then give the powerline adapters a go. I used them quite a lot in the past until I ran cables all around the house.

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d go with a mesh network if you can afford it and value spending more upfront and saving hassles when it comes to set it up and use it.

jeff

For a stress-free life, run ethernet cable alongside the mains cable to the garage.

I did this with regular CAT6 cable, not outdoor rated stuff 7 years ago and it’s all still working fine.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Does the wifi not reach that far?  My router is against the wall that faces the shed and I have a chromecast audio that works in the shed just fine.  Shed is at least 15m away

bigdean

I bought a tp link wifi power line booster. Cable to the laptop wifi for zwifting.

Garage is on its own circuit and still works fine.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Whats your data need in the garage, for phones at the moment I can’t seem to get through my data even with lots of music and streaming

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve been trying a few things since I got home today and despite moving the router to various places in the house, the signal still doesn’t reach the garage.

The idea of using my phone data did cross my mind but the phone reception in the gargae is pretty poor so that’s ruled out.

The wifi will be used in the garage for Spotify, YouTube and possibly a bit of Netflix as well.

My local Argos has the powerline kit listed above in stock so I’ll try and head there tomorrow to pick one up.

phil5556

If that doesn’t work a bit of  normal indoor network cable loosely buried under the flower bed will probably do the trick for a few years, assuming you can get it from your router to somewhere outside. Then plug it in to your choice of hub/access point.

fossy

Powerline stuff works well. Our garage is on a spur from the main house, and even plugged into an extension lead, in the garage, the powerline adapter is fine.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have this set: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works really well, my garage is on its own supply from the main board and about 20m from the house.

If it doesn’t work for you its from Amazon its easy to return. no risk

olly2097
    Free Member

I’ve got a garage 20 metres down the garden (long and narrow)

I use tp link power line adaptor that broadcasts WiFi.  I get 22mbps

That’s run through three consumer units. Yes three. Also through armoured cable.

Why spend that much on mesh WiFi when Less than £20 will do the job fine?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Garage Wi-Fi Extenders?’ is closed to new replies.