Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Garage security door posts outside or ground anchor inside
  • augustuswindsock

Finally replaced my Stolen dream bike with a worthy successor, want to make this one getting nicked as awkward as possible, got double garage doors, so I could get posts installed to make getting into the garage difficult or a ground anchor inside. (Minor) Issue with ground anchor is there are 8 other bikes in there so it would be awkward to lock them all to it. Anybody had any experiences (positive or negative) with either?

Onzadog
    Free Member

What sort of garage door is it?

mcnultycop

Asgard shed inside the garage for me.

augustuswindsock

It’s an up and over garage door, posts outside to prevent opening seem obvious choice, stop perps getting in in the first place, just wonder how secure they are, given the length could they be leveraged?
    A shed inside the garage wouldn’t really work for me mc.

jam-bo

Some of those Enfield garage door locks to properly secure the door.

tthew

Why not both? And just lock the most attractive bikes to the anchor rather than all of them. Or multiple anchors. You need to make it as hard and slow as possible. A simple alarm system probably wouldn’t be too difficult or expensive either.

augustuswindsock

Just googled those door locks jambo, that’s exactly what I need, cheers!

jsync

Enfield bolts for the win. Make sure tou get them keyed aliike.

https://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/d613-enfield-garage-door-bolts.html

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d be looking to get rid of the up and over door. Maybe a security grill behind a sectional door.

Or brick the garage up and put a composite pedestrian door in there.

augustuswindsock

sectional doors might be an option going forward, bricking it up’s no good, we need to get a car in occasionally.
    Enfields seem like they’ll give me more security in the short term.

joebristol

Those Enfield locks look ok – one in each of the 4 corners. The middle blocking type locks from the outside don’t stop the scrotes peeling up the door from the corners. They also advertise the fact you’ve got something inside they might want to steal.

I’d also add in a cheap alarm – the Yale essential one for just over £100 will do the job – and put in some ground anchors too. If they get through the door the alarm makes it a bit less relaxed for them as they’re trying to cut through the chains. Although a big diameter d lock through a ground anchor is harder for them to cut unless you’re going to invest in something like an Almax 19mm chain. If you have decent walls I’d fix the ground anchor halfway up one of those as it makes it really difficult to get to them with massive bolt croppers.

The OnGuard Brute is a big diameter but relatively sensibly priced sold secure gold rates d lock. Googled online and couldn’t find anyone getting through one with either enormous bolt croppers or hydraulic cutters. Will mean they need to use a grinder which is noisy.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’ve added something similar to Enfield locks, and an ordinary side door so that I don’t need to open the up and over. Also, since I don’t need to open it from outside, I drilled a small hole in the track the upper rollers run in, and put an ordinary nut & bolt through it, so that the top of the door won’t roll back.

scaredypants

I drilled a small hole in the track the upper rollers run in, and put an ordinary nut & bolt through it

Yeah (small padlocks in mine)

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It is alarmed isn’t it?

Personally no extra security on outside for me

cookeaa

(Minor) Issue with ground anchor is there are 8 other bikes in there so it would be awkward to lock them all to it.

I’d be minded to only anchor the fancier ones and maybe leave a couple of the cheaper bikes as easier to take in the hope that any potential thieves would take the path of least resistance rather than take the time/risk to attack the better secured bikes, or perhaps buy 3/4 anchors and secure the bikes in pairs or threes…

Up and over, sheet metal doors are always a weak point, all a post in front means is that they can’t easily ram it with a van and will need to get slightly more creative on how to bend it, you’ll maybe add 30 seconds to the job, might be worth a go though anything that adds a delay makes your garage less attractive.

joebristol

I assumed you just had 2 up and overs and no pedestrian door. If you have a pedestrian entrance I’d just screw your garage door shut. I’ve actually built full stud walls behind one of mine as well as corner bolts from the inside. From the outside they just look like normal up and over doors – but if you try pushing them from the outside they literally have no give at all. They’d pretty much have to cut a hole
    in the garage doors to get through.

cyclelife
    Free Member

Security posts outside means something valuable inside, so I’ve alarmed and put anchors inside. No point in advertising.

Tracey

We went through this a few years ago when we were done by two scrotes who clocked us unloading the camper after our Alps trip. They came back two days later and got away with two bikes worth 12k.
    We took advice on what to do both visible and physical for security.
    Visible was alarm and CCTV, we already had an alarm.
    Physical was to get the most secure garage door that we could aford, the insurance paid a bit towards this but it still needed a chunk of money adding to it.
    Put the bikes as far away from the garage door and use shutters/cages. Ground anchors and chains.
    The cheapest and most effective was to put the car or van in the garage to make it as hard as possible for them to get to and get the bikes out.

In our case the car was almost never used and spent most of the time in it but on the day it happened I had taken it out to fill up with petrol and give it a spin.

Turned out it wasn’t a coincidence as they had someone local who could see our house.

augustuswindsock

We do the cars in front of the doors thing, but occasionally one of the car’s isn’t there, particularly overnight obviously.
    Thanks for the comments folks, going for Enfield and I think I’ll get a ground anchor in too, just for belt and braces!

robj20
    Free Member

I have a big padlock fitted to the bottom of the up and over and always park the car nice and close the the garage door.

mogrim

I’ve run a chain across the top of the up and over, with a padlock so I can remove it if needed. Obviously means you can’t open it from the outside, but I’ve got a side door which is fine for getting bikes in and out, which is all I need.

TiRed

I wedge two lengths of batten into the hinges of our up and Over door. Plus the Enfield locks. It is not going to open. Then I park a car in front. And of course there is the alarm and all the other security. We have an internal door from the utility room. It’s a huge bonus.

The wood is very fast and effective. The locks are good too. I have to be able to use the garage door because the trike does not fit through the house! When locking for a day, I use the Enfield locks.

Sandwich

I’ve added something similar to Enfield locks, and an ordinary side door so that I don’t need to open the up and over.

All those who are extolling the delights of a personal door, they are just as vulnerable. My garage was done twice in 6 months (second time to try an get the replacement bits which hadn’t been bought) via the side door. The door was replaced after the first attack with a self built stout door which was probably opened with the stolen pry-bars from the first time. 5 lever mortice lock, deadbolts top and bottom and hinge pins all fitted the door was trashed. Since replaced with fixed ply panels as the insurance asked questions about the security at renewal time.

argee

You just have to protect as much as you can live with, i’ve had a few burglaries unfortunately, and they just use different ideas each time, i’ve had additional security to the up and over, next time out they peeled the garage door like a tin at the corner and got in that way.

The way i do it now is just making it as difficult as possible to get in and around the garage, there’s a side door, so now the up and over is blocked off with everything, and secured, so it’ll need to be ripped off to get any real access, the side door is the weak point, but that’s where i have the bike locked several times with heavy and cumbersome items, lots of 15/16mm linked chains and steel bars, so if they have brought an angle grinder, it’ll take them time and some spare discs to get through!

Ground anchors are a must though, but again, if they just want the bike for parts, then they’ll cut through the easy carbon frame, so there’s always a weak spot.

dirkpitt74

Some good advice and well timed thread.
    Now that I’ve started clearing the crap out of the garage and finally able to put stuff in the loft the bikes will be a bit more exposed.
    Have ordered a couple of ground anchors and the enfield locks.
    Had thought about getting a side door fitted from the garden – but on second thoughts I’ll just keep access via the up and over.
    Is it worth fitting the enfields to the top and bottom of the up and over?

augustuswindsock

Tracey, your story sound particularly unfortunate, the fact that a neighbour was watching and waiting for you to take the car out, and they immediately call some scrote to say coast is clear, boils my piss just reading it!!!

gordon85
    Free Member

A couple of ground anchors, heavy chains and a rebar cage do the trick for us (with all cutting/cropping/prying tools also locked away!)

Tracey

Tracey

It took a few months to figure out what was happening and why. We had CCTV footage from up our lane of it all but it wasn’t enough for the police to act. It wasn’t until we were going to sort it ourselves, not me, that our daughter called the police who visited and waited for the scrotes. They had a reason as to why they kept turning up and that’s when it transpired one of their relatives was renting a room that had full visibility of the front of our house from about 250m away.
    Might be coincidence but we never saw them again and he moved out a couple of weeks later
    It also explained how they had gone to ground so quickly after they were stolen. We had neighbour response immediately and police car and helicopter response within a couple of minutes but no sight of them after they went int fields at the top of our lane.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Garage security door posts outside or ground anchor inside’ is closed to new replies.