Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Garage doors
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

I know there are a few threads on here, but they are a bit older and I’m wondering if materials have moved on?

I need to replace a broken up and over, what would be best from a security point of view?

I know it adds a point of weakness but I don’t want electric opening, so manual options only please. The front door is the only point of access so bolts on the inside are also out. I don’t have any real height restrictions and the garage is long enough that I don’t necessarily need to park right up to the door. I think side opening is also out as there’s a slope to the drive.

I’m not massively flush at the moment, so spending several thousand is out of the question. I was thinking around 1-1.5k max. Anything nearer to the lower end of that would be perfect.

fossy

Up and over again – but boost the security. I have a hasp lock with a ‘container padlock’, as well as the hidden shoot bolts to prevent levering. No-one has ever got in (two attempts).

z1ppy

I went for a two door system, using 3 panels, with a main door in the middle section. As I didn’t need to show the entire contents of my garage every time I pop into it or dragged a bike out. The door supplier was happy to upgrade/add locks as per your requirments.

For info, I can see your not local (and I used a fitter who was cheaper).. http://www.bgid.co.uk/index.php?id=15

trail_rat
    Free Member

Google pacri bolts

Add to which ever roller door you fancy.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far, the bikes will be hidden from view as they will be in an Asgard or similar so not too concerned about the contents being seen by passers by. It’s also on a private road with very little footfall.

Obviously the downside to that is it’s fairly secluded so if someone wanted to get in, they might have a bit of time before anyone heard etc.

Google pacri bolts

would the bolts locate into the floor or the side of the frame? If the floor couldn’t they just be prised up with a lever?

cb

I’m having an electric roller door but one of the companies that came to quote reckoned new style up and overs are so much more secure than the rubbish i have. He reckoned there were now 4 locking points and he couldn’t break into one…and he could break into anything guv…
    Think it was either 900 fitted or 1100.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The sides.

Wouldn’t do no good having shoot bolts into the floor.

eskay

See my post on this thread, I installed a two thirds split door, much more robust than an up and over. Still not 100% happy with the lock/latch, I have some bits for an electro magnetic shoot bolt but have not had the chance to fit it yet.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Interesting about the newer up and overs. I guess I’ll  call a few people out and get some quotes.

eskay

Just realised I didn’t include the link to my post!!

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/garage-doors-barn-doors/

PiknMix
    Free Member

Thanks eskay, I tried clicking every word in your reply trying to find the pesky hyperlink haha.

simon_g

Been looking at these for mine: https://www.lathamssteeldoors.co.uk/steel-security-doors/double-steel-door/

Don’t keep a car in there so easier to just open a single door for day to day stuff, but can open both for getting big things in and out.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Watching thanks gents

Daffy

I’d go for a solid sectional door.

Stronger than up and over and more secure than a roller door. Better insulated than both.

cb

Agree with Daffy that sectional woukd be best overall. Trade off is loss of internal space, especially if you have high level shelves etc. Roller takes up less room.

PiknMix
    Free Member

After a revisit I think I can get away with a side hinged door, the ease of not having to open it fully for when I just want to tinker in the workshop is a big draw.

how are they from a security aspect?

qwerty
    Free Member

Hormann electric door, should come in within your budget.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Hormann are definitely on my radar although I don’t want electric opening.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Garage doors’ is closed to new replies.