Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Garage building – advice/cost
  • ahsat

I have had a read through previous threads on similar topics, but everyone’s requirements are different and it is just getting me confused, so afraid I have resorted to a new post…

We have been looking at a number of houses to buy in West Yorkshire, but they all need new garages building. We are looking for something ~18-20 foot long, ~9 foot wide, with an apex roof. We are open to lower roof height if it gets us under planning requirements, but it cant look ‘silly’ (hence the apex rather than flat).

It will be standalone, in the back garden, likely abutting a neighbours boundary. We dont need it to be super flash, but secure and with simple electrics. Ideally roller door (manual is fine). Importantly, we have two 14 foot touring kayaks that in our current garage we have one hung from the roof beams and one from the wall to keep them out of the way of the bikes and working space.

We have looked a sectional garages (probably rendered to get rid of the horrid pebbledash!!), but have two main worries – hanging the boats from the wall/ceiling and the reported cold and damp they suffer from.

Any advice, and if means we have to go down the brick construction route (which do look much nicer), any ideas of cost would be good. We dont have experience of construction, so probably would need to include construction costs.

Many thanks
    ahsat & p20

rickk

We replaced a brick double garage with a wooden one – brick one was cracked – possibly due to the flat roof timbers getting soaked and swelling and then displacing the walls – but there was a concern about the foundations which we could not afford to replace.
    The wooden one is insulated and is easy on the eye, pitched roof not an issue and not too expensive.
    Early days but happy so far.
    We are near Worksop / Sheffield – can put you in touch with the builder if this is anywhere near you.

ahsat

Thanks rickk – we are moving to Leeds, so will bear that in mind, but we might be a bit far for your builder.

I have read somewhere about building/planning issues with putting wooden structures by a neighbours boundary. Did this apply to you?

nickjb
    Free Member

No planning issues for wood but if it is more than 15m2 it’ll need building regs sign off. For brick or block the limit is 30m2.

To avoid planning you’ll need to be under 2.5m high so quite limited for a pitched roof.

ahsat

To be honest, in all cases so far we are looking in the suburbs where we would be replacing an existing garage, so I think we would probably be ok applying for planning. Guess I thought this might just delay things and add more cost!

dvatcmark
    Free Member

To avoid planning you’ll need to be under 2.5m high so quite limited for a pitched roof

Only if it’s within 2m of a boundary IIRC

ahsat

To avoid planning you’ll need to be under 2.5m high so quite limited for a pitched roof
    Only if it’s within 2m of a boundary IIR

It is likely to be at a boundary, in pretty much all cases I think. Certainly the one we are most interested in.

nickjb
    Free Member

Only if it’s within 2m of a boundary IIRC

Yes. But OP said it will be. Edit: too slow

Planning will add a few quid (£175 iirc) and potentially 8 weeks. Whether that is worth it is up to you. If time is an issue you can apply for planning, start the build then put a flat roof on it if you don’t get planning and a pitched if you do. It’ll likely be 8 weeks later by the time you get to that stage

ahsat

Ha – thanks. Good thinking! Dont think it is mega desperate – we will need to save some pennies after moving and the kayaks and a few bikes can stay at my parents for a bit.

Ok – wooden looks like an option (though I do still worry a bit about security with these). What about cost of building in brick?

Merak

Budget for 8-10k

nickjb
    Free Member

For a single garage about £1500 for the brickwork only, quite a bit cheaper for block. You’ll also need footings/slab, roof, door plus extras like power.

ahsat

Been looking at some of the wooden options – you can get a nice looking build for £5k. Think it will probably depend on the property how we consider this in regards to security!

br
    Free Member

I’d go for the building you want, and if it needs planning permission, apply – otherwise it’s a lot of effort for something not right.

Also don’t scimp on electrics.

ahsat

Agreed, though it does also come down the cost of what we can afford. If a brick garage is silly money, we need to come up with another plan. I guess there are other plans we can come up with if it comes down to quotes for brick that is out of our budget.

Yes, planning can’t be that scary – we should just do that!

nickjb
    Free Member

For a garage a few hand sketches will do for planning. Nothing too tricky.

P20

Has anyone built their own brick garage with previous building experience? Probably a stupid idea granted!

stumpyjon

Yep, I built an extension to mine, think single garage with another built alongside sharing one wall. I extended the roof across both, did it all by hand including the metre deep footings. Cost around £5k for the basic materials and another £5k by the time i had lined it out and gutted the old garage and installed kitchen units, electrics, flooring, hot water and a Belfast sink. I did go slightly overboard on the fitting out.

If you can lay bricks it’s not too difficult but it won’t be quick. Biggest mistake I made was not getting all the rafters identical.

P20

Cheers. Just had a rough quote of £9k for a single brick garage

wrightyson
    Free Member

Think about your roof design. It will be a lot quicker to go for an engineered truss than trad roof. However you want to try and utilise some of that roof space for your kayaks so a raised tie would be a good idea. How about going simple 4″ block work then getting it rendered in monocouche render. It will work out cheaper than brick and will give you a waterproof/weatherproof solution to the exterior walls.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Garage building – advice/cost’ is closed to new replies.