Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gap ride – conditions for Sunday ?
  • Trimix
    Free Member

Im planning on riding the Gap tomorrow. Is it in deep snow ? Or just flipping freezing ?

I dont mind the cold or snow, but when it’s over a certain depth it becomes un-ridable.

Ambrose

Having spent this afternoon on the Black Mountain a few miles west I say that there will be a lot of snow. The Gap itself and most of the track will be winnowed free of snow, though I should imagine that it might be drifted in quite a few places.

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, so it should be rideable apart from any drifty bits. Sounds good.

welshfarmer91

Rode it today, most snow on the Brecon side and very little left on the reservoir side. We rode clockwise so not to bad apart from being into the wind. I think it would have been harder riding up from the Brecon side due to the extra snow depth.

Trimix
    Free Member

OK, thanks. Thats good to know.

welshfarmer91

Rode it today, more snow on the Brecon side than the Reservoir side, went Clockwise and think even though it was into the wind in that direction it would have been hard going the other way round as we seemed to be pedalling on the downhill due to the extra depth of snow.

mark90
    Free Member

I was just going to post but see welshfarmer got there before me. I was pleasantly surprised with just how much was rideable today. As said it would certainly be harder going anti-clockwise with the snow conditions.

welshfarmer

Careful mark90, the 91 means that was brojo and not me!! 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Ah there was me thinking you had two logins 🙂

Ambrose

So, how did you get on?

Trimix
    Free Member

It was just the right amount of snow, ice and freezing wind to make it a proper adventure.
    Did it Clockwise, so riding up was fine. Oddly enough I cleared the little techy bit up to the moorland section above the reservoir. Normally in the summer that’s a challenge, this time the snow had filled in the gaps, so it was easier.

The bit across the moorland was harder, deeper snow in drifts, but 99% ridable.

Then the long uphill to the actual gap was all in the clouds. The rocky bit at the top was iced up, so we walked about 10 yards of that, then bounced / skidded down. You wouldn’t want to ride it anti-clockwise.

All in all bloody good fun. Oddly enough the long 12km spin along the canal was the worst bit. Mushy, wet and knackering. If it wasn’t for that bit the bike and kit would have been clean.

You cant beat a good day out riding proper mountains (bit hills) can you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gap ride – conditions for Sunday ?’ is closed to new replies.