Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Gaming monitor
  • PiknMix
    Free Member

My girlfriends 11 year old son has decided that he wants a dedicated gaming monitor to replace his LG tv for playing PS4.
    He complains of lag (which I’ve explained won’t be resolved by a new monitor, I’ll look at hard wiring the console in for that) but also a low FPS.

Presumably I want something with the highest refresh rate for the budget? And therein lies the rub, the budget is a firm £150 max, there is no wriggle room on that.

Is there anything worth getting for that sort of money?

5lab

For ps4 the refresh rate won’t make much difference. I think the most it can output is 60hz. Input lag is a thing, but won’t be very noticeable. Have a look on amazon warehouse deals. Eg https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-27-inch-Monitor-FreeSync-Certified/dp/B075B1XCBY/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=gaming+monitor&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&qid=1606288644&sprefix=gaming+mon&sr=8-2

Save 30% at checkout gives you a really nice monitor in budget (quick thou as I expect it’ll sell)

mattyfez

Without getting into the pros and cons of monitors with high reresh rates or higher than 1080p screens, for console use, the hard budget of £150 will be your deciding factor.

You can get a 1440p IPS monitor, 27″ for just over buget, but with a standard 5ms response time ans standard 60-75hz refresh. So not really “gaming” grade.

What screen size are you wanting, as that will be a factor too,

This is in budget, and 1080p, 32″, but not really a “gaming” monitor
    https://www.cclonline.com/product/viewsonic-vx3276-mhd-2-monitor-32-inch-1920-x-1080-full-hd-ips-panel-75hz-silver-vx3276-mhd-2/

A monitor will probably look better than a TV anyway, but if your looking for high refresh, fast response times and higher than 1080p, your probably looking at double your budget.

FuzzyWuzzy

Depends what the ‘lag’ is really, input lag, network latency (you mention hardwiring the console in?) or display lag. What specific model LG TV is it, does it have a gaming mode?

You can get a decent 27″ 1080 monitor for £150, probably a good chance you could pick one up in a Black Friday sale as they’d be dated tech (assuming you went for a 60Hz model – there wouldn’t any point going above that for a PS4, although it wouldn’t be future-proof). There’s no point going for a higher refresh rate than that when the console input is 30-60fps

b230ftw
    Free Member

If he’s got a PS4 pro then the max refresh is 60hz. Zero point in getting anything better then that in a monitor as it will make no difference.
    Get lowest response time you can get in the size you want – bigger screen will be much nicer to game on as long as it’s not too big.
    Ilyama make some nice screen which are a decent price – try Ccl computers for them which is local to me but have a big online presence.

After a quick look there is probably get this one for £145. It has built in speakers which might be useful (not all monitors have them) and HDMI and DisplayPort . Fairly simple clean design IMHO. https://m.cclonline.com/product/iiyama-g-master-black-hawk-gaming-monitor-27-inch-1920-x-1080-full-hd-tn-panel-amd-freesync-75hz-black-g2730hsu-b1/

My gaming monitor is a 144hz one but I have a PC and graphics card that will run games like FH4 at 120fps. Mine is Freesync so the monitor matches the refresh to the FPS the PC is outputting so you don’t get screen tearing. Makes more of a difference in first person shooters to be honest than car games but it does look very smooth in its graphics ability.

PiknMix
    Free Member

I knew I was walking into a minefield,

What screen size are you wanting, as that will be a factor too,

I think this is the least important factor, 27” ish maybe a wee bit bigger but his room is tiny and he sits about 1.5m away from the screen because of this.

Some really useful info so far, thank you.

Superficial
    Free Member

Is the issue that he’s 11 and he thinks that a new monitor will help him pwn some n00bs? Maybe you need to temper his expectations.

twistedpencil

A timely thread, I’m looking for the same for a 12 year old who keeps using my works monitor I’ve brought home to work at weekends.

Part of me wants to future proof this purchase, however, when he needs to upgrade this could become my home office monitor instead. I’m sure work will want theirs back at some point!

That Asus is tempting, just the reviews mentioning dead pixels and lack of warranty support is putting me off.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Is the issue that he’s 11 and he thinks that a new monitor will help him pwn some n00bs? Maybe you need to temper his expectations.

I think he thinks a new monitor will turn him into Typical Gamer!

I can’t wait until he is older so I can destroy him on COD.

baser
    Free Member

Just to add to the above you will also need external speakers as most monitors don’t have them built in, I made this mistake with the old Xbox and had to wait a couple of days for the speakers to arrive.

Most OEM suppliers (HP, Dell, etc) have a student scheme which you might be able to use to get a discount, my wife works at a uni and we got 10% off at HP.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Cheers baser, already aware of the speaker issue. He plays with headphones so much less of an issue for now (as long as there is a headphone jack or usb)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Gaming monitor’ is closed to new replies.