Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)
  • Galaxy s3 or wait for iPhone 5?
  • winrya
    Free Member

I recently went through the same situation. Have a 4S but have had iPhones since they came out and was really impressed by the htc one x when I saw it In a store. Suddenly my 4s looked old tech with its comparitively small screen and I’ve been desperate to try a difference os and having heard so many differing experiences of android thought I should give it a shot.

After reading some reviews I stumbled on a brilliant tariff with a free htc one x on groupon. I signed up and ordered the grey one. I spent 3 weeks using it and all I can say is im back using my 4S. The htc went on eBay last week and i doubt i’ll bother with android again. The phone was a nice bit of kit, lovely screen, nice feel but it never worked 100%. There is always new software on the way to fix issues. In 3 weeks I had 3 updates and the final one meant that rogue apps would start munching the battery at random points.

Battery wasn’t big enough, yes you can make it last but why have such a nice screen so dull you cam barely see it. My 4s was always on full brightness and never had any issues.

Speaker was too quiet and on the back. Sky go isn’t out on the ics android devices which was a big miss. Typing was pretty awful and was always swapping words for the most unlikely you could ever dream of.

It got hot when being pushed and every single app that I made a comparison with loaded quicker, ran smoother and looked more optimised to the device when on the iPhone.

I think my conclusion is android is like windows, an os which is designed to run on so many different hardware set ups it is never optimised to push the hardware like it could and therefore will crash and have many isusues.

I really like the look of the s3, bigger battery means it may last longer but I’ve already stumbled on posts with people moaning they can see the percentage indicator dropping very quickly with the screen on. But.. I’ve really really been put off now. Going back to the iPhone it felt 100 times better than I ever remembered, everything just works, no issues, no challenges.

I did love the one x in the beginning but my feeling towards it now is I wouldn’t wish one upon anyone.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Cheers for all the responses. Much appreciated. Although I would not ‘pish money away on advice from whoever shouted the loudest’.

Cheers for the advice given. I do like the fact that it will integrate with my smart tv withouth the need for an apple tv.

Still need to think methinks.

coffeeking
    Free Member

There is always new software on the way to fix issues. In 3 weeks I had 3 updates and the final one meant that rogue apps would start munching the battery at random points.

App updates or OS updates? The only difference there is that app updates occur faster and more reactively than apple ones.

Personally I don’t follow any of your experiences at all. I get app updates about once a month (and then only when I want them), yes using it all day kill the battery in 12 hours (S2) but that’s pretty normal for any smart phone (we have a variety in the office, all work about the same). All the apps I use are just fine, work well and are mostly free. The only minor issue I had was when I bought a cheapo case that covered the noise reduction microphones and the sound quality went to pot.

Ah well.

Cougar

What’s wrong with Samsung?

Generally? Nothing.

My personal experiences with Samsung’s approach to Android phones, however, have been less than stellar. Diabolically bad support. They may have improved these days, but they’d really have to go the extra mile before I’d consider buying another Samsung branded Android device.

Also, purely on a point of personal preference, I really like Sense and hate TouchWiz.

geoffj

winrya – I think you’ve covered all my concerns with a move to an S3. Although android has come on, it is still a design by committee and tries to be all things to all people.

Cougar

Although I would not ‘pish money away on advice from whoever shouted the loudest’.

I wasn’t being personal sorry, that wasn’t directed at you. Just that the “what phone should I get” question crops up every other day pretty much.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Although android has come on, it is still a design by committee and tries to be all things to all people.

Still not getting this, tries to be all things to all people? What do you mean?

May I suggest that if you’re not liking your particular branch of android, say on an HTC, you might like it on another handset. My S2 has a completely different interface, keyboards, pretty much everything than HTCs, or even the Ace of the same period. Ultimately I don’t think it’s android at fault here, more the phone manufacturers mods to it as they see fit. I can’t stand HTCs interfaces, love the S2s.

My personal experiences with Samsung’s approach to Android phones, however, have been less than stellar. Diabolically bad support.

Hmm, never needed to contact support – everything generally just works and what doesn’t work is usually a cheapo free app with advertising that saps the battery power.

winrya
    Free Member

App updates or OS updates? The only difference there is that app updates occur faster and more reactively than apple ones.

Os updates. Luckily I had an unlocked version so got the updates quite quickly as with the locked phones the sw goes off to the operators to customise before release.

Mine came with 1.26, then 1.28 was released and then there was 2 1.29 updates within a week. The second ruined the phone. Another problem I forgot which is running on the xda site is that the phone once out of signal for a good while will stop searching for a signal. So for me this meant when I finish work where phones can’t get a signal, I had to put it I’m airplane mode and back on again so it could refresh. Apparently it’s a radio problem and everyone is waiting on htc for a fix but there is no word on how long it will take.

I’ll accept app updates are much nicer, hitting update all was very nice. Although iOS6 next week is rumoured to have adapted this

geoffj

Still not getting this, tries to be all things to all people? What do you mean?
    May I suggest that if you’re not liking your particular branch of android, say on an HTC, you might like it on another handset. My S2 has a completely different interface, keyboards, pretty much everything than HTCs, or even the Ace of the same period. Ultimately I don’t think it’s android at fault here, more the phone manufacturers mods to it as they see fit. I can’t stand HTCs interfaces, love the S2s.

The fact that it has to work across different hardware means it is always going to be a compromise for whatever kit you are running it on.

Not so with iOS

May I suggest you spend some quality time with an iPhone before going overboard on the Android praise.

winrya
    Free Member

Oh and if anyone is still considering a one x, give this a read http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1602538

Can’t say anything other than shocking. A number of people have had 8 exchanges before finding a perfectly made one. Luckily mine was actually perfect.

kayak23

I have an HTC Desire HD. Fantastic phone, one of the first to have mahoosive screens, then why, HTC in their wisdom decided to reduce the power of the battery…

Had it for 18 months now and lucky to get a day out of it if I’ve made a call and a little internet.

Tempted by the Galaxys. A mate has an S2 which seems so plasticky compared to my aluminium beauty but his battery life is rad.
    S3 would probably be too much upgrade money or too high/long a contract.

The One-X is tempting but it has several downfalls. I believe it also doesn’t have a decent battery life and whats more, you cannot actually change the battery, its sealed in like a Baa-phone (If I remember rightly)

Would like to keep my current one really but for the dire battery life…

coffeeking
    Free Member

The fact that it has to work across different hardware means it is always going to be a compromise for whatever kit you are running it on.

Not so with iOS

Yeah, much like windows works across all sorts of platforms with few issues. Sure custom build OS’s are a smidge faster and a smidge more tuned to the hardware but not in any way that is significantly noticeable, and they also tend to be locked down harder and less customisable.

May I suggest you spend some quality time with an iPhone before going overboard on the Android praise.

You call the going overboard? Have you heard apple fanboys? I have used a 4S, I found a few issues (not least the fact that turning the bluetooth off required a dozen menu operations instead of having a widget on screen) I didn’t like and I generally don’t like the interface at all. I didn’t like the screen, it’s size or the blocky construction that was hard to hold with sharp edges. Didn’t like the general way the UI is presented. But I’m no android fanboy, just stating it as I see it, I’ve no reason to do anything else. If you give me an Apple product that works better I’ll happily admit it, but for me the tradeoffs come out in favour of the androids currently.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Had it for 18 months now and lucky to get a day out of it if I’ve made a call and a little internet.

Tempted by the Galaxys. A mate has an S2 which seems so plasticky compared to my aluminium beauty but his battery life is rad.

Only if you turn off the wifi, I get between 11 and 15 hours with wifi and data on all day and maybe 30 minutes internet usage (SII, ICS). If I turn off the wifi and data I bearly see the battery percentage drop in 24 hours.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

No worries cougar.

Hadn’t seen this type of q before, but noticed a couple today lol.

Just wish apple didn’t take the piss in relation to marketing hype etc.

winrya
    Free Member

Just wish apple didn’t take the piss in relation to marketing hype etc.

As much as it drives consumers mad with inflated costs, big lines of camped purchasers, it’s what every other business out there would love to have. My last iPhone purchase was very simple, went on the website when pre orders came online, ordered, lay in bed on release day until ups knocked my door.

deviant
    Free Member

I picked up an HTC One-S about a month ago.

Went for the ‘S’ over the ‘X’ due to the size, the Galaxy S3 and HTC One-X really are ridiculously large phones now….with either phone in my jeans pocket i look like some kind of pervert with an impromptu erection….not a good look.

The ‘S’ is thin (less than 8mm i think) and flat….dont like the camera lens bulge on the ‘X’….its asking to be damaged sitting proud like that.

The dual core processor is superb….this is something that the tech heads will know about and a little tip for anyone buying a phone….check the nanometer rating of the chipset inside the phone, takes a few minutes to do it online and will ensure you get the best phone without being bamboozled by the nonsense spouted by the salemen or in press releases.

The rating is usually expressed as ‘nm’ and the lower the number then the more advanced the manufacturing process is and generally speaking the more efficient the processor is….an efficient processor in your phone will result in more battery life, less heat etc….

….screen size is the next consideration if battery life is a priority….basically the larger the screen the more juice it will use….there is a reason Apple have stuck to smaller screens aside from the reason about single handed operation.

The One-X is a nice phone but the battery inside is not very big (not a problem if the chipset is bang up to date)….but its not, the processor in the One-X has been built on a 40nm process….the Galaxy S3 sports a bigger battery and comes with a more efficient 32nm chipset….but the gem out there in the smart phone market is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 1.5 Ghz dual core built on a 28nm process….find a phone with that chipset and just buy it.

You’ll get decent battery life, smooth operation etc….its proving so popular among phone manufacturers that Qualcomm cant keep up with demand.

(emsz – download Winamp from the Android app store and you can move all your music from itunes to your Android device)

julians
    Free Member

I used to have a desire HD and now have an HTC one x.

The battery life on the one x is leagues ahead of the battery life on the desire HD. The desire HD would last one to one and half days of mostly standby, the one x will last 3 -4 days of mostly standby. I have no issues with it at all, its an amazing phone.

I waited for the full specs of the Galaxy s3 to be announced before deciding on the one x or the galaxy s3. In the end I went for the one x for a couple of reasons, firstly I dont like the look of the samsung, and secondly I didnt think it justified the ~£120 price premium over the one x.

MY view is that the samsung is a slightly (really only just slightly) more powerful phone than the one x, and if you want an SD card slot or removable battery then its the one to go for, but for me it didnt justify the price differential to the One x.

As for the iphone, well its just a personal choice over which one you prefer, but the oft repeat phrase of ‘it just works’ is not true, I use IOS a lot for work (on an IOS app development program), and the amount of times it crashes or does unexpected things is pretty similar to any other OS, the same goes for their desktop operating system.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmmm

Its ahtc for me but only 3quid a month difference in line rental.

How do you spot the upgraded One S? Just to make sure that Im not getting the pre ice cream version.

Are they different body colours?!

julians
    Free Member

I thought the One S only came with ICS, ie there is no pre ICS ONE S

Drac

I have used a 4S, I found a few issues (not least the fact that turning the bluetooth off required a dozen menu operations instead of having a widget on screen)

Are you sure you used one as off the top of my head it’s 4 and for the Galaxy it’s 2. So really it’s hardly a vast difference.

Cougar

Re: Samsung, I’m not talking about contacting support, I mean support as in them releasing bug fix updates and Android version updates. The original Galaxy was broken, and Samsung’s approach was to release the Galaxy S and the first one never existed. Which isn’t what I expect for a device I’m paying for for 18 months.

hora
    Free Member

Wow just back from the Trafford centre. The Samsungs s3 playback quality of youtube vids in landscape mods wipes the floor with both htc’s.

Back to back the X lagged slightly behind the S on every parallel screen select.

I chose the S3

iamsporticus
    Free Member

What kind of deals has anyone managed on the Galaxy S3?

T-Mobile (existing customer with good coverage here) have offered me:
    no upfront cost
    300mins
    unlimited texts
    750MB data with similar use of BT openzone as well
    2y contract

Seems OK to me

Anyone found better?

Jamie
    Free Member

Seems OK to me

As I see no cost, anywhere in your post, it seems like bargain 8)

woody74

Not sure if this helps but my wifes S2 has 2 major issues

The battery has only ever lasted 1 day unless you turn off everything including Wifi and ever app.
    Bloody impossible to connect to a Mac and download photos. Of course you can do it but it is a bloody faff. There is a wifi app but of course it is bloody slow if you have a phone full of holiday photos and videos.

Every time I use it I always think that the tech is great but the user interface and ease of use is terrible. Now if Samsung got the user interface as good as Apples then they would have a killer phone. To be fair to Samsung all other manufacturers also seem to have this problem. The phone is great but it just doesn’t interface with the rest of your tech/internet/etc well.

hora
    Free Member

Anyone found better?

3 offer a killer deal (34 a month) with almost unlimited everything.

Woody- I used my GF’s S2 a number of times and I found it quite frustrating and clunky to use. The S3 seems to have addressed anumber of these issues for me.

I had a play on the Bro in laws iphone again last night and although its a lovely/brilliant phone- unless you have girl like fingers its interface/screen is just to small to use swiftly.

Cougar

Bloody impossible to connect to a Mac and download photos.

Weird. That’s ostensibly Linux to Linux, I’m surprised it’s problematic (even given the two manufacturers involved).

Still. Don’t Macs have SD card readers?

Jamie
    Free Member

I had a play on the Bro in laws iphone again last night and although its a lovely/brilliant phone- unless you have girl like fingers its interface/screen is just to small to use swiftly.

Well, that’s just not true. As a bazillion iPhones sold proves. You just have jumbo sausage fingers and the dexterity of a drunken zebra, Hora 8)

Cougar

You should have just used your penis like all the other iPhone owners.

(-:

teamadrenaline
    Free Member

I’ve had a look at the Galaxy SIII and the HTC One X, both look to be great phones if you do a side by side comparison.

Where one may lose out slightly on one feature it gains in other ways.

Cougar

(Further to that: someone asked me the other day if they could use my dictaphone; imagine my confusion)

hora
    Free Member

‘ve had a look at the Galaxy SIII and the HTC One X, both look to be great phones if you do a side by side comparison.

I did the same and the One X is visually/noticeably slower than the S3. Plus the S3 has better definition on playback/Youtube for comparable clips.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Got mine and very very happy with it, although to be fair its my first smartphone.

Mine is with 3 Network £34 month no upfront cost on their One Plan which as mentioned earlier has virtually no limits (5000 txts/Unlimited Data/2000 mins). Happy so far.

geoffj

Interesting piece on Android vs iOS app development and revenue streams

Seems like
    1. iOS devices are updated more quickly; and
    2. iOS device owners are more prepared to pay for apps.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/appsblog/2012/jun/10/apple-developer-wwdc-schmidt-android

iamsporticus
    Free Member

What kind of deals has anyone managed on the Galaxy S3?

T-Mobile (existing customer with good coverage here) have offered me:
    no upfront cost
    300mins
    unlimited texts
    750MB data with similar use of BT openzone as well
    2y contract

Seems OK to me

Anyone found better?

Jamie – Member
    Seems OK to me
    As I see no cost, anywhere in your post, it seems like bargain

Arse
    £26 a month

🙂

CountZero

O2 Simplicity £26/month – Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 1Gb data, with an extra 1Gb of data for £5.
    It’s what I’ve changed to with my iPhone 4, and I’ll stay on it and buy a 5 for cash.

bigbloke
    Free Member

O2 Simplicity £26/month – Unlimited calls, unlimited texts, 1Gb data, with an extra 1Gb of data for £5.
    It’s what I’ve changed to with my iPhone 4, and I’ll stay on it and buy a 5 for cash.

Thats SIM only though isn’t it?

CountZero

I just went into the O2 shop and said my contract’s up for renewal, can I change to a Simplicity please. That was it. Took five minutes, kept the SIM that was in the phone.

Viewing 38 posts - 41 through 78 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Galaxy s3 or wait for iPhone 5?’ is closed to new replies.