Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Galaxy s3 or wait for iPhone 5?
  • ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

As it says really, what are people’s views? Got a contract due an upgrade and not sure if I can be bothered with the iPhone hype.

‘hey here it comes, here it is the all new iPhone 5 with the same tech that everyone was using a year before us!

Bucko

Get the Galaxy S3 then

mikewsmith
    Free Member

yep, if you have seen through the bull why bother.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Good responses. It seems I have hit the turning point in my life!

And I’m bored cos I ain’t got a bike at the mo!

hora
    Free Member

Apple will milk it for all its worth (and providers) so expect a silly upfront cost for the handset AND high monthly tariffs.

For that reason it isn’t ‘worth’ it. Its a phone at the end of the day.

To some though its their life.

argyle
    Free Member

i too am thinking of ditching the iphone, looking at the htc one-x but also strangely drawn to the nokia lumia. i think mostly because it’s pretty

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve never been an iPhone fan, mates have them and rave about them “n” all. I get what they’re doing but really not for me that one. I’ve played around on the 4s and it has some good features, none that I haven’t seen before mind.
    So.
    I chose a Galaxy S when they first came out, have been most pleased with it over the last 19mths, it’s a tool with great browsing and download speeds etc. I stream music off it all the time on long journeys and carry loads of work related stuff on it. I’m so impressed I’ve just upgraded to an S3, which was sitting on my desk at home last night when I got in. All I’ve managed to do so far is stick it on charge though, I’ll play with it at the weekend and transfer all my stuff over from my GS, then once finished racing on Saturday probably doze off with it still clasped in my hands.
    I’ll let you know how I get on and what it’s like in real life.

Drac

No news on next iPhone and last one came out in October so probably not due to About October.

I upgraded the wife’s phone from the awful thing that was a Galaxy S it was terrible, clumsy interface flow and poor screen. Looked at the S3 but it was too big and looked cheap. To be fair I didn’t play with it too much

So went for the 4S but it makes sense as wife has a iPad, me a mac book and an iPhone so they work together nicely.

Androids have come on since the original ones though and run about on par with iPhones so certainly worth looking at.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i have an iPhone4, but unless they do something amazingly spectacular with the next one, I wouldn’t buy another. its good to use and nice and simple, but its overpriced, with every software update it gets slower and slower, and Android rivals have caught up and now overtaken them.

i don’t understand why iTunes is so amazingly slow either.

I’ve stopped updating my iPhone software now.

jam-bo

just bought a 4S for my wife. £70 upfront and £21 a month is hardly overpriced.

Waiting for the 5 so I can retire/sell my 4.

Drac

iTunes I don’t find slow at all but it’ll be down the computer running it the 4 could be struggling with upgrades as newer iOS takes advantage of newer hardware. This means old hardware, which at 2 years old, the 4 in phone years is old. Part of the reason my wife’s galaxy was becoming worse to use is because it was old hardware. That and it was crap in the first place.

speaker2animals

Can you afford to pay the monetary cost of running Apple. When I went to a Desire S last year it was nothing for handset and with a refund deal over the contract costs me £14 something a month. I could not get anywhere near that for any Apple phone.

If you can afford to pish money away wait for Apple, if not SIII.

jam-bo

Galaxy S3 on the same deal I got is twice the price of the 4S…

konabunny
    Free Member

Don’t get the iPhone 5, apparently there’ll be a new one coming out that’s even better in x+1 months!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Why da bitchin?

I is confused.

Either you like iPhones or you don’t, if you don’t theres plenty of other stuff out there.

I don’t particularly like iPhones, I chose something else.

Cougar

just bought a 4S for my wife. £70 upfront and £21 a month is hardly overpriced.

Assuming a 24 month contract, that comes out at £574. That’s a fair bit of cash to drop on a telephone.

Not that mine was much different, mind, but I’m not kidding myself it’s pocket money either. Baffles me that people will spend nearly 600 quid on a device chosen on the whim of who can shout the loudest on a web forum. I spent months researching what I wanted before I bought it.

Anyway. If nothing else, go to a shop, play with a few devices, see what you do and don’t like. At least then you’ll be making an informed decision rather than a potentially costly mistake.

Also, you’re not ‘due’ an upgrade, you’re eligible for one. It’s not mandatory, much as the phone companies would like you to think so. If there’s nothing you want, don’t buy anything; drop your tariff to a SIM only deal for buttons a month.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Apple will milk it for all its worth (and providers) so expect a silly upfront cost for the handset AND high monthly tariffs.

Such is the nature of business

For that reason it isn’t ‘worth’ it. Its a phone at the end of the day.

An old Nokia is a phone

geoffj

Confirmed Apple fanboi here.
    I had a play with a Samsung S3 this morning, and it is pretty special. Decent size, ultra responsive, light – very very good in fact.
    The iPhone 5 is going to have to be exceptional to be better.

Made my iPhone 4 look a little outdated to say the least!

I’m tempted!

jam-bo

That’s a fair bit of cash to drop on a telephone.

but no more expensive than the latest greatest android devices. which was my point.

although looking at the site I got it through, its gone back up to £140 for the phone.

tonyd

I had a 1st gen iPhone and loved it but didn’t use it for much more than phone calls and email so went back to a plain old Nokia and much preferred it. Got an HTC Desire Z last year (work phone so no cost to me) and it’s OK but heavy and large, it has a flip out keyboard thingy which is great but just makes me send email when I should be relaxing. It keeps switching off too which is very annoying.

Bought the missus an iPad recently and it’s made me want an iPhone again but work won’t buy them and I can’t afford to.

My point? Not sure, other than if I had the opportunity and it cost me nowt I’d probably get an iPhone over Android but I have no real reason other than personal preference.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i had an iphone, switched to a galaxy s3 a few days ago. no regrets so far, seems very good.

Sam

Just had an S3 arrive this morning. Had a bit of a play and got it all set up and so far very impressed. Probably going to take some time to get used to the typing as have got quite fast on various blackberries over the years and not sure how I’ll adjust to a touch screen, but initial impressions are not bad. Super super fast for general operation and very good in the internet even on our fairly slow (2mbps) home internet connection.

hora
    Free Member

Sam same here. I really grew/rated my Blackberry for that. Pity about the screensize though.

loddrik
    Free Member

Apple WWDC on the 12th so they may well release details of the iPhone 5 then. I ditched my iPhone 4 for a galaxy S2, the Samsung was a much better phone but I much prefer iOS over android so am just about to pick up a 4s. I’m sure the GS3 is a cracking phone but android just definitely isn’t for me.

WackoAK
    Free Member

I’ve just upgraded my almost 3 year old iPhone 3GS to the Galaxy S3. I’d used an iPhone 4 & 4s but apart from being a bit faster did not see any need to upgrade.

The S3 is far superior and the bigger screen size is much better for browsing but I accept that it may be too big for some. Took me 2 seconds to get used to the ICS interface. I now have proper drag and drop, can change the battery and add a memory card.

Cougar

Probably going to take some time to get used to the typing

Worth noting that there’s a cornucopia of alternative keyboards if the stock one doesn’t float your boat. Swype and SwiftX are both very good.

bikebouy
    Free Member

MrsBouy is a Black(sod)berry convert for all the right reasons. She’s baffled by the swipe keyboard on my GS and GS3(got yesterday, whoop) and only likes the feel of tippitytap keys. It took me an age to get her to get an upgrade to the 8900 (I think, slide screen version) and you know what, she rather hates it. Much prefers the older version..Won’t even let me back the thing up nor load any updates.. I know she’s mental but I do love her, so I’ll forgive her.
    So there you go, personal preferance(s) all over again.

hora
    Free Member

Cougar how do you download (ie find those- google play?). The keyboard is my only sticking point.

jam-bo

I tried using a old style t9 keyboard last week. took me about 10 mins to type a short SMS….

Cougar

Swype specifically you need to get from their website. Everything else is on the Market IIRC.

emsz
    Free Member

Ok if I want to go from iPhone to something else, what do I do with all my iTunes music. Will other phones play nicely with it?

Cougar

It’s “Swiftkey X” sorry, misremembering.

theflatboy
    Free Member

the itunes app store mentality is so engrained in me i got very confused earlier on trying to find the recommended photoshop touch but it not coming up as a search in the play app lists. 😕

PlopNofear
    Free Member

The HTC One X is worth a look at over the Galaxy S3.

hora
    Free Member

Tell us why!! Quantify man quantify!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cav put me off buying an HTC.. phah.

Cougar

It’s not made by Samsung, for starters.

andygreener

Just upgraded from an old 3GS to a galaxy three today. Different but seems nice. Will take some time to get used to I’m sure. Just need some tips on decent apps now.

PlopNofear
    Free Member

The HTC One X is 0.1GHZ faster!!! 🙂
    The One X comes with 16/32GB internal memory and 25GB of Dropbox cloud storage
    One X is cheaper
    Higher Build Quality
    One X is 3 grams lighter 😀

coffeeking
    Free Member

It’s not made by Samsung, for starters.

What’s wrong with Samsung?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Galaxy s3 or wait for iPhone 5?’ is closed to new replies.