Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Future of rear hubs
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Boost is going to be the most common it seems, but is there still going to be a need for non-boost? On bikes that many still need front mechs perhaps?

The current non-boost size of the week is 142×12 no?

5plusn8
    Free Member

I think they will die out now that hover bikes are here. We’ll keep front ones as they deserve it, but the rears will go.

tomhoward

142×12 is the current road standard du jour, so it’ll be around for a bit yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, so a road 142 hub will work on an MTB? What about the freehub differences?

scotroutes

What link are you inferring between boost hubs and front mech capability?

tomhoward

Hmm, so a road 142 hub will work on an MTB? What about the freehub differences?

I run a 142×12 hope pro 2 evo (off my 5010) with a shimano HG freehub on my Spesh sequoia, can’t see why it wouldn’t work the other way.

sillyoldman

Road HG freehubs are a little wider than MTB and so need a shim to run MTB cassettes. Hope are the exception in that they only offer the road spec freehub on all their HG hubs, and come supplied with the shim that allows use of MTB or road 10 spd cassettes (and the newer 11-34 11 spd road options).

epicyclo

It’s limiting bike choice if you like hub gears.

scotroutes

TBF it’s the hub gear manufacturers that are limiting your choice of frames.

tomhoward

It’s limiting bike choice if you like hub gears.

Haven’t you both already got frames you like though?

Trimix
    Free Member

Anything thats “current” just opens the door to some marketing campagin that will tell you your out of date and somewhat inferior. Nothing will stop commercial businesses selling you solutions to problems you dont yet have.

epicyclo

scotroutes

TBF it’s the hub gear manufacturers that are limiting your choice of frames.

Good point.

tomhoward

Haven’t you both already got frames you like though?

I’m alright Jack, but I was thinking of all the other cyclists who will now not have the option to improve their bikes. 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a frame I love yes, but I’ll change the wheels soon. I can also change the dropouts to 142 from 135. Now I can still get 135mm hubs, but this might not last. Likewise the manufacturer might stop making dropouts in the future, so I could take the opportunity to gain some future-proofing. However it’s only worth it if 142 is actually more future-proof than 135. Plus bolt-through is better than QR generally.

What link are you inferring between boost hubs and front mech capability?

I thought Boost was generally aimed at no front-mech?

scotroutes

I have 2 bikes with Boost hubs and front mechs. There’s nothing specific about Boost that should rule them out.

tomhoward

I thought Boost was generally aimed at no front-mech?

A fair few Pivots have boost (and super boost…) rears and a front mech mount.

I think it’s just two trends that have followed each other, rather than ones that are linked

molgrips
    Free Member

Ah. Boost chainsets maybe….

kelvin

Arguably… moving the drivetrain front and rear outboard by 3mm is MORE useful for gaining tyre and chainstay clearance with multi chainring setups than with single ring ones.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Future of rear hubs’ is closed to new replies.