Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Full-sus respray (not powder coating!) in Scotland?
  • redrook
    Free Member

Anyone know of a company which can provide a similar service to Argos located in Scotland?

AFAIK Argos do not powder coat. There are plenty of powder coaters who do frames but I don’t want a powder coated frame for various reasons).

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t know if they do one-offs but Fiveland fabricate and paint some of Cotic’s frames.

Shackleton

Shand paint in house. No idea if they do outside work though.

redrook
    Free Member

Any link to Fiveland? Couldn’t seem to find them, unless they are also a vets 😛

Thanks for the Shand suggestion, they’re just down the road from me. Looks like they do their own frames on bespoke terms so maybe they’ll do a one-ff. Will give them a shout.

roverpig

Aren’t they all just powder coat though? Don’t know why, but I assumed they all were. Maybe not though.

redrook
    Free Member

I believe Argos and bike-specific companies do essentially wet painting. Powder coating is much thicker and I’ve read that it’s more difficult to put logos etc. on it under a clearcoat. I could be wrong of course but that’s my understanding.

TheFlyingOx

I had my bike sprayed about 9 years ago by Henderson’s Metal Cleaning in Edinburgh, Jock’s Lodge area. Good quality work, paint is still pretty good after all this time, just the odd stone chip and a bit of cable rub where the helitape hasn’t been in exactly the right place.

http://www.hendersonsmetalcleaning.co.uk/index.php

plus-one

Another recommendation for Henderson’s. They are not quick though and they will tell you this and they also tell you to keep chasing them 🙂

redrook
    Free Member

Cool, will contact Henderson’s too. I’ll probably not be doing it until the end of the summer now..

redrook
    Free Member

Can confirm that Shand don’t do other people’s bikes as they are too busy with their own orders. And yes, they wet paint rather than powdercoat.

DickBarton

Magnafibre – based in Alva – unsure if they do ‘bespoke’ frame resprays but I’m pretty sure they offer the service now – their website isn’t the most up-to-date, but they have Facebook and Twitter so might get a quicker answer from them there.
    Haven’t had any frame repair or respray work from Andy, but I have had bike repairs from him and they have been top notch.
    Facebook – looking at one of the reviews from 6th Feb it suggests he does do resprays as they guy got his Santa Cruz done.

Northwind

I had my old Ragley coated by Henderson’s. Shite job, of the sort you only produce when you know what you’re doing but you just can’t be bothered to do it properly. Blasting grit in the topcoat ffs. That was powder but I wouldn’t trust him with paint either, or crayons.

rickmeister

Hendersons did a good job for us. Paint a custom colour whic wh inspected at that stage.. we then applied a set of logos made by carrick andersons wife and it was then lacquered.

At this time the chap there was into mountain biking and did a good job masking headset and bearing surfaces too.

redrook
    Free Member

Unfortunately Magnafibre don’t do resprays anymore, only repairs apparently.

I might get a price from Henderson’s and see. I would quite like someone who can apply decals before doing a clearcoat.

mashr

Magnafibre are still worth asking (or checking they facebook page) as he stopped resprays as the repairs (with sprays) side was so busy

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Contact Ben at Kinetics, formerly of this parish, whoever he uses would be my shout.

balfa
    Free Member

I’ve used Hendersons twice and not had a great experience. Used Pentland Powder coating who were much better. Pentland powder coating will also spray if required too. I enquired about this recently for some carbon forks. Think spraying is normally more expensive and less hard wearing though.

Retrodirect
    Free Member

Chat to Andy at Eastside bikes. He does a proper nice job.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Full-sus respray (not powder coating!) in Scotland?’ is closed to new replies.