Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Full face helmets with ventilation?
  • joemmo
    Free Member

After a day of bike parky action in which a full face lid was required and I had to borrow one, I thought I might purchase my own for future use. I know it’s not the priority feature but does anyone make one with a bit of venting so climbing with it on doesn’t result in a cooked head?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Most decent DH ones work fine for riding down a hill for 3-5 mins flat out

If that is not your bag then the Met parachute, Giro Swichblade, Bell Super or Fox Proframe + loads of others available

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Fox Proframe is worth a look

stewartc
    Free Member

SE Asia based so familiar with sweaty riding and find the ProFrame does an excellent job of being both a full face and being able to pedal with it on without too much trouble.

kimbers

Tried parachute, bell super 2r, proframe is the best, sturdiest & still well vented.

That said still not as solid feeling as a proper DH lid.

orangespyderman

I tried a Fox Proframe when I got my switchblade and it’s a very nice, well ventilated helmet.  Just too small for my head which meant having it on for more than 15 mins gave me a headache.  If it had fitted I would have had one over the switchblade.

chakaping
    Free Member

I got the Parachute as it was available a fair bit cheaper than the others at the time, it’s OK for steady climbs – much better than a proper full-face – but I have to peg it back a bit compared to normal.

I did a review here… http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-met-parachute/

Suppose the question is do you need a removable chin-bar? I guess they’re particularly handy for enduro races but may come with their own faff?

tomhoward

Not tried it, but the new Troy lee designs stage looks to tick a few boxes.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’ve got a proframe as I had to have a FF for racing. After sweating my way up various mountains in Italy last week, I can confirm it’s still bloody unpleasant & I’ll take every opportunity not to have it on my head, compared to a normal lid.

It was however a better place to be than doing it in my D3, which I’ve done in the past though.

oikeith

I am a diehard open face fan, had this dilema and ended up with a proframe, quite like it actually. I searched around and got one for £135, find it hard to believe some places were looking for full RRP at £225!

Stevet1
    Free Member

The Leatt DBX 3.0 is worth a look as well. I have the cheaper version without the removal chinbar and it’s been great.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/leatt-dbx-30-enduro-helmet-review.html

joemmo
    Free Member

thanks for the pointers. The proframe looks spot on but looking at those and the other vented ones I’m not sure I can quite justify the price right now for something that is likely to be for occasional use – guess it’s more involved making something strong with holes in, hence the higher prices. Where did you find the proframe for £135 @oikeith? Cheapest I can find is £165.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just keep an eye on the sales if it’s not urgent, maybe get a list of likely candidates together.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Where did you find the proframe for £135

I got the green ‘ladies’ version from Evans for that price.  They still have some colours and sizes available.  I couldn’t see any difference between the mens and ladies versions and it fits fine.  Maybe I have a lady shaped head?

dazzzzbo
    Free Member

I have a Met Parachute and it’s got plenty of ventilation.  I done the ardmoors enduro with it and only had to take it off once on a long push up.

I have wore it in the summer and could probs keep it on all day.

You can pick them up for 100 on sale time shortly.

oikeith

It was from Tredz, it was the Mink colourway (white and black) in a size medium, looking now they are sold out.

Something which might help you, I was dubious about ordering from Tredz as usually they dont have stuff in stock, because of this I added the same helmet into a basket with Biketart.com (think it was £149.99)and went through some of the checkout, but they didnt offer the delivery options I was after. I decided to called Tredz who confirmed it was in stock so I ordered it. The bit which may help you is, Bike tart emailed on the two consecutive days after reminding me to complete checkout, I ignored these emails then a few more days passed and they emailed me again with a discount code I could use. Maybe try this to help bring the price down.

joemmo
    Free Member

cool, thanks for the tips again, after a bit more research the Uvex Jakkyl looks like another convertible option at around £125.

bigfoot
    Free Member

had no problem wearing my switchblade all day for long events this year on hot days, like ard rock and the tweedlove british champs. left it on for any push ups and i have never removed the chin guard. for me i don’t notice much difference between that and a open face but then i don’t really mind the heat on hot days anyway.

johni
    Free Member

I’ve just tested my Switchblade for 4 days in Spanish sun.  It did very well.  Cool enough when descending/traversing, I just took it off for sustained climbing.

Northwind

It’s probably not as good as the Proframe but I have the old urge down-o-matic and it’s way airier than your typical dh helmet, and generally all day comfy and lovely. The newer version is supposedly the same only more so and can be had for £100. But I’ve never used it soooooo that’s a fairly crap recommendation!

joemmo
    Free Member

well that didn’t take long – just bought a Switchblade from Merlin for £125 – so a bit of a PSA there as well, they’ve got the neon yellow and brown in small and large sizes at a discount.

andyrm
    Free Member

I’d say try the 661 Reset if you don’t want to spend loads as it’s for occasional use. I’m just back from riding in Finale in one in 34° heat – the internal ventilation channels mean it’s a lot cooler than you’d expect, definitely cooler than my Bell Full 9.

Currently under £60 too! Have a look: 661 Reset FF

joemmo
    Free Member

Thanks Andy, I had a look at the reset but it didn’t look that we’ll vented in pictures. Will take another look.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Another vote for the giro switchblade. Feels like better  protection and more solid than the parachute and bell options, more akin to the fox and a normal full face, just better ventalated. Had a parachute for years which was great, but after retiring it after one to many crashes I went through a number of parachute replacements very quickly as the retaining / tightening system kept breaking. If you’re not bothered by a removable chin bar, giro do a normal full face which looks almost identical to the switchblade, just with slightly less venting and heavier, but cheaper. Sorry, can’t remember what it’s called but you’ll find it on their web site

joemmo
    Free Member

Ended up going for the switchblade on the double discount from Merlin. It was more than I intended to spend originally but I’m likely to get more use from it as well.

Very impressed with the quality. I have a Montaro with which it shares some detailing and it seems a great fit.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Full face helmets with ventilation?’ is closed to new replies.