Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • ft william gondola
  • porter_jamie

is it full on proper dh track or nothing? is there a red as well i can’t really work it out from the website.

geex
    Free Member

it accesses 2 tracks
    The WC DH track and a longer less steep (less WC DH style) trail
    I wouldn’t bother with colour coding.
    there’s no consistency in it.
    it’s not Skiing

porter_jamie

ta. is the other one rollable. will i be divorced if i persuade my wife its no worse than les arc?

dair86
    Free Member

There is a red, well there use to be. It’s now been renamed the top chief after the local boy done good, Joe Barnes.

It was never a red trail in reality more a black. It caught a fair few folk out thinking, “i have ridden the red at glentress, I’ll manage this red fine”

It’s more a black trail, boardwalk and rocks. Although i haven’t ridden it since its rebranding.

dair86
    Free Member

See here for what GMBN thought of it a few years back.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Its all rollable, as is the WCDH.

Northwind

porter_jamie

Subscriber

ta. is the other one rollable. will i be divorced if i persuade my wife its no worse than les arc?

Yes but it is no picnic frankly, I was up there for the opening day and there were literal pools of blood on the track from all the people on hire bikes doing the “red” and dying all over the place. Not helped by their skills area having a black section which was easier and saying “is this for you?” sort of thing.

It’s been changed a bit since then- tbf they opened it before it was all built- but some of the rock bits are still high consequence, little errors big problems. Easier than Laggan black, if that’s any use to you, but just as committing at times. OTOH, the rocks are incredibly grippy and the boardwalk becomes simple if you just slow down. Do stop and look at the view down the glen when you get right out to the south end, because a) it’s lovely and b) the next bit down to the woods is harder.

In fact the public version of the world cup dh is more or less rollable too, though there’s a bunch of it that’s way easier just to chuck it- there’s no lumps in the sky and the rock gardens are better to skim than bump. Some sections are a wee bit chancy with wheels constantly on ground just because that’s really not how they’ve been built- traps and that.

Worse than Les Arcs? Well, it’s not as hard as double header. It’s probably pretty comparable to the lakes trail. I can’t think of anything in the bike park that’s really comparable- not so much harder or less hard, just really very different.

Disclaimer: didn’t ride any of them last year.

Are they still doing the vehicle uplifts for the bottom stuff?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both a few years back and I’m rubbish. There’s nothing I couldn’t get down, albeit slowly, on either track.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘ft william gondola’ is closed to new replies.