Home Forums Bike Forum FSA no 57 headset upgrade

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • FSA no 57 headset upgrade
  • subduedsupernova
    Free Member

I had to remove my fork due to an issue and found both upper and lower headset bearing very rough.

I found the bearing dimensions online but can’t find any high quality replacement bearing and don’t want to fit another FSA headset as bike is only around 6 months old

I am looking at replacing the headset so I should be looking at a tapered semi integrated headset with 44mm/56mm cups but it also appears I need the lip to be 50mm upper 62mm lower but most headsets don’t seem to list this dimensions, does anyone know if this is a standard size?

Also can anyone recommend a headset that will last? Was thinking hope but would rather not spend that kind of money if don’t need to

Thanks

weeksy

FSA 57 i think also comes on plenty of Whyte Bikes, i’ve had 18 months out of each generally, to be honest, for the £23 i costs for the set, i’m perfectly OK with that, it takes <5 mins to swap.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I had similar issues with my Turner RFX as it used the same headset. The best answer I found was to get rid and replace it with an Ibis but that was due to other issues, not just the headset.

The oversized cups are a pain in the ass, but they’re fairly typical bearings. Part of the problem is that TH-073 bearings, (iirc) have a seal on the bottom face and a gap on the inner face.

I seem to remember that cane creek male some stainless bearings that fit and they also do a crown race with a lip seal which helps.

If I’d stuck with the RFX frame, my next step was going to be finding a machine shop that could turn down the existing cups to act as shims to reduce the head tube enough to fit a proper headset that takes actual sealed bearings rather than ones with a gap on the inside face.

Daffy

Chris King Inset 2 – they usually go for £50-£80 on ebay.

nickdavies

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/files/index/download/id/5dea8e4ef75ea284b90068e4d45d46a825/

Just looks like a hope E/2 to me, or ZS 44 / 56 headset of your choice.

Id ignore the outer lip dimension, thats a 3mm lip which is probably about what theyre all going to be although i cant find a proper technical drawing for the hope one.

Superstar do a £35 version, nothing wrong with their headsets.

subduedsupernova
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies has gave me some options

I have ordered new bearing from blue seal bearings to give a go and if they dont last will repalce complete headset p

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘FSA no 57 headset upgrade’ is closed to new replies.