Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • FS frames with external brake hose option
  • exsee
    Free Member

Which Full suspension frames with EXTERNAL Brake line options?

I’m fed up with internal rear brake line routing what are the options for new frames with the external option?
    Evil are 1 I think, who else?

toblerone1

Calibre, Bird and Cotic are others that spring to mind.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Can’t you just fit some of these to any FS frame?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NVHJZRW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_R3NyDbB5FCFVT

I’m a fan of Cotic but this seems to be a question that has an easier answer than looking for specific frame designs.

marksnook
    Free Member

I don’t think I have ever had a frame with internal brake routing! What a pain in the ass it would be! Airdrop have external routing. Sure transition do too?

chiefgrooveguru

Banshee as well.

endomick
    Free Member

Alloy NUKEPROOF mega, very simple cable routing.

phil5556

Surely it’s not *that* much of an inconvenience that you should choose a bike based on it?

dreednya

Ibis and I expect most other high end brands such as Santa Cruz will have external brake hoses

tomhoward

All of them*

*May require creative use of zip ties.

Or learn how to bleed brakes, it’s hardly a skill you’ll never need again.

Ibis and I expect most other high end brands such as Santa Cruz will have external brake hoses

Most don’t. SC don’t anymore iirc

chakaping
    Free Member

I hear you OP, internal brake routing is totally style over substance.

Or learn how to bleed brakes, it’s hardly a skill you’ll never need again.

To play this typically dickish STW reply with a straight bat, external brake routing is mainly useful for quick swaps such as when away on hols or an uplift day.

Surely it’s not *that* much of an inconvenience that you should choose a bike based on it?

It’s testament to how good my Orange is that I’d probably choose it again in spite of the horrific cabling experience.

tomhoward

To play this typically dickish STW reply with a straight bat, external brake routing is mainly useful for quick swaps such as when away on hols or an uplift day.

I see. Well, In 20 years of riding holidays hand uplift days, I’ve yet to need to swap brakes in the middle of them. Must just be lucky I guess.

exsee
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. A couple of those will go on the short list. Any others?
    Ibis don’t anymore either.

exsee
    Free Member

Tom, I’ve swapped brakes between frames half a dozen times in the last 6 weeks for a variety of reasons. it doesn’t need to be a pain in the backside for you just because I find it a completely pointless faff with zero gain. Weezalldifrent brother :o)

joebristol

Not that many frames are internal brake routed surely – mostly only really posh ones I’d imagine.

Bird Aeris 120 / 145 / am160 / AM9 definitely are all externally routed as I’ve changed brakes over recently and it took about 5 minutes.

phil5556

@joebristol Mine’s not that posh and it’s internally routed, a Whyte T130. Only in the downtube, external along the chainstay. The gear cable disappears in to a tiny hole each end of the chainstay, that looks a bit of a pain to change.

exsee
    Free Member

The list isn’t looking very long so far Joe.

chakaping
    Free Member

My newest steed, Radon Swoop 29ers is external (and BB).

You can’t buy them frame only but the full bikes are not much more than many frames (and they’re bloody good if you want a LT 29er).

CheesybeanZ

Starling bikes.

exsee
    Free Member

Thanks. 27.5 on the menu this time. The radons 27.5 range appear to be pressfit BB which is another no no

dirkpitt74

Alloy Nukeproof Mega.

CheesybeanZ

Starling Swoop , 27.5 , external cables and threaded bb .

exsee
    Free Member

Thanks, I did have a look at the Starlings but a Steel FS frame isn’t for me.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

a Steel FS frame isn’t for me

beagle
    Free Member

Have a look at Guerilla Gravity. Their solution looks tidy on their latest carbon frames.

solidrooster
    Free Member

Transition sentinel has external brake lines and external bb.

bill-oddie
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pole Evolink which I’m running external. Has holes in the frame for internal as well which I guess may be an eye sore to some. I plugged them with the rubber bits provided and it doesn’t bother me. Not the most trouble free external routing mind! Couple of extra zipties were needed to hold away from the shock.

Also Pole Stamina and Nicolai. Both super expensive though!

aide

Canyon seem to have a good solution for this problem

Bigmantrials

Last have external routing on their full suspension frames, really neat and tidy routing and cable clamps.

joebristol

@joebristol Mine’s not that posh and it’s internally routed, a Whyte T130. Only in the downtube, external along the chainstay. The gear cable disappears in to a tiny hole each end of the chainstay, that looks a bit of a pain to change.

The list isn’t looking very long so far Joe.

Who knew?! The only bikes I’ve ever had internally routed are road bikes –
    Like my Caad12 / Caad9 etc.

Neither my Bird Aeris or Vitus Sentier are internally routed (other than the stealth droppers). So maybe check out the Vitus Escarpe and see if that has external routing?

tall_martin

Nikolai/ geometron g1 has fully external brake routing.

My G13 looks fully external, but it passes through a shock mount so still requires a brake lever comming off

Also +1 on internal routing only being for fashion.

exsee
    Free Member

The gravity guerrilla carbons look interesting, hadn’t seen those before, thanks.
    I’m surprised Nicolai have done that with the lower shock mount and hose.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

As stated some Canyons have external trouting with a cover bolted over them. I’m sure I’ve seen that another brand too.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘FS frames with external brake hose option’ is closed to new replies.