Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Frozen bike cures?
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

I had a new bike freezing problem today – mud freezing onto the pedals (wellgo v12s) causing my normally very grippy shoes to want to be anywhere but where they should be. Had to chip away at the pins with a house key, which gave the front mech cable long enough to freeze to the downtube.

Anybody care to build a winter pedal that uses a little friction from the axle to heat the pins, thus keeping them ice free and warming the rider’s feet in the process?

hora
    Free Member

Piss on your pedals.

Tom83

What Hora said.

trail_rat
    Free Member

drop your heels , you dont need the pins of a v8 to keep your feet on.

and yes piss on things and move quickly after doing so before it freezes up again

hora
    Free Member

Recently I went to a very early morning ride with my bike on the roof. The mechanism inside the shifter froze meaning I had one gear! I was going to piss on the shifter but everyone disproved 😆

missnotax
    Free Member

My shifters froze during a ride in the last cold snap a few months ago – I declined my male riding buddies helpful suggestions that they pee over my handlebars 😆

wordnumb
    Free Member

Call me sensitive but I prefer over-engineered solutions to the idea of exposing myself in sub-zero temperatures.

drop your heels , you dont need the pins of a v8 to keep your feet on.

Flat-soled shoes won’t stick to 5mm ridges of frozen mud at any angle.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Toe clips and straps FTW!

(Never thought I’d say that)

gravity-slave
    Free Member

drop your heels

If you drop ’em both your feet end up parallel again and no grip advantage, you just shift your weight off the back of the bike.

Drop the leading heel, point your trailing toes and brace your legs outwards (fore/aft).

Still doesn’t help with grip. I had frozen shoes/pedals last night, so bad my feet were skating around everywhere.

MoreCashThanDash

Can I recommend liberal use of gt85 on mechs after snowy rides so you are not frozen in one (wrong) gear for the next mornings commute

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Frozen bike cures?’ is closed to new replies.