Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Frosty Hammocks
  • martymac

Bike packers, anyone done a frosty overnight in a hammock?
    I use a DD frontline hammock, with the underblanket, and a sleeping bag, and I found i was slightly warm, this was midsummer in Scotland.
    Im considering a night out before December, and was wondering if anyone has tried a frosty night out with a similar setup and how you felt, temperature wise?
    I’m not generally a cold sleeper, and would have a tarp overhead, along with warm hat/clothes.
    Tell me you were fine, or that I’m mad 😎😎

Greybeard
    Free Member

You’ll be fine, especially with an underblanket rather than a mat, assuming your sleeping bag is as good as you’d use in a tent in the same weather. I’ve had ice on the inside of the tarp and not been cold. The only thing I find a problem is a strong wind along the length of the tarp, but if the tarp is long enough you can fold the corners in.

nedrapier

Slept a fair few cold nights in the hammock. Mine is a pretty good cold weather set up: sleeve underneath for a thick/wide down mat, big winter/windstopper sleeping bag, big tarp that can be enclosed.

I slept without the tarp one still night, some very light snow started to fall halfway through the night. I did my best, but snow on the face is very hard to sleep through!

nedrapier

And you’re definitely not mad, hammocking is great, low temperature just means you need more insulation.

I’ve just been trying to find a blog post by climber Andy Kirkpatrick. I’ll keep looking, but upshot is: make sure you’ve eaten a good meal before you go to bed, or at least don’t go to bed cold and hungry. eat some nuts before you go to sleep. “Light a fire” he says.

Story was him dirtbagging under the Eiger, eating as cheaply as possible, he had a couple of miserably cold nights and thought that was just part and parcel of the whole thing. Conditions changed and they couldn’t climb or something, ended up in town and treated themselves to a decent meal. Didn’t change anything he wore/slept in, but he was absolutely toasty that night.

Couldn’t find it, but this is a good read, some of it might be useful.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/skills/10_tips_on_staying_warm_in_winter_by_andy_kirkpatrick-6903

martymac

That’s excellent, thanks for that guys.

BigJohn

Intrigued by the thread title. I thought it might be somebody who Stormy Daniels hangs about with.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Frosty Hammocks’ is closed to new replies.