Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Front wheel not centred
  • joshuapage
    Free Member

Hi all,

My front wheel is not centred in the forks. It is dished towards the disc brake side. I have had the wheel trued and dished twice, each time correcting this but the wheel slowly moves back over.

Anyone have any ideas what could be going wrong here?

Thanks

Josh

argee

I seriously doubt it’s wandering back out of dish, for that to happen you’d have to have an entire side loosen and the other side tightening, so would maybe point to something with the hub and/or spacers used to make axle length 100/110?

What type of movement are we talking here though, 1mm, 5mm, more?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Does sound bizarre. No way spokes are tightening by themselves, but the other side could loosen. As above what mm are you talking?

Poopscoop

That is utterly bizarre.

Who re-dishes the wheel mate? Not saying they cause this by the way!

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

I had a pair of cheap rock shox, they always made the wheel off centre, think the legs were not level. Tried different wheels, same result.

You would notice under braking a large tyre would buzz the bridge.

andrewh
    Free Member

Definitely the wheel off centre and not a dodgy tyre ‘collapsing ‘over to one side? Tyre deforms, you adjust wheel to compensate, tyre deforms more, repeat

BearBack
    Free Member

QR wheel?
    Could be worn drop outs and the axle is dropping down on 1 side and making the wheel appear out of dish (at the crown) but is still actually straight and true.
    Disk brake forces etc pulling the axle..see Russ Pinder vs Fox for the science.

joebristol

I’d guess it’s a qr wheel / fork and it’s marginally slipping in the dropout. I had this with a bomber Z1 a few years back and a cheapish hub. Put in a Shimano XT qr skewer to replace the cheap no-name one and that fixed it as it had more clamping force.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Can you turn the wheel round? if it’s still off centre the same side it’s the fork, otherwise it’s the wheel.

What wheel is it? Qr, bolt thru etc?

matt_outandabout

+1 on check the forks.

I would also compare it as a bare rim – isolates a dodgy tyre as well.

kayak23

Are you often riding a trail that only corners one way?
    😉

dannybgoode

The wheel is meant to dish toward the disc brake side, assuming that by dish you mean the spokes are at a shallower angle. The disc brake in essence acts like a mini cassette thus ‘pushing’ the spoke flange on the brake side inward toward the centreline of the hub.

What could be happening (although this is merely conjecture) is either you have tried to build a non-dished wheel and the spokes are the wrong length causing issues due the the tension being wrong. Or, the spokes are the right length and in trying to build a non-dished wheel you have over-tensioned the right side spokes but have twisted them rather than tightened up the nipple further and over time, when riding the twists work their way out.

If you mean that right side spokes have the shallower angle then you may have the left and right hand spokes mixed up as the shorter spokes should be in the disk brake side to create the correct dish (shallower spoke angle)

EDIT: I am working on the assumption you built the wheel in the first place. If it is a factory wheel then as per all the above – check forks etc 🙂

joshuapage
    Free Member

They are QR wheels factory made and have moved around 4mm off centre.

I have flipped the wheel and is off centre then in the opposite direction. I have not had any major hits on the forks or anything.

oldnpastit

Cup and cone hubs or pressfit bearings?

aP
    Free Member

Do you live in a shared house? Is one of the others ‘a bit of a cyclist’? Have they got spoke keys?

cynic-al
    Free Member

I can imagine is that the tension isn’t high enough and spokes are loosening off. Shouldn’t happen at all and especially not after lbs has worked on it. Russ v Pinder might be relevant too. Never seen a tyre deform consistently, evenly and gradually.

matt_outandabout

Warranty job?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Front wheel not centred’ is closed to new replies.